PDA

View Full Version : SC UI suggestion -- Changing player selection

muski
2008-10-08, 20:40
The new SC 7.0 interface was a huge improvement over the old versions, but there is one area that still drives me crazy -- changing player selection.

I have four players in my house and often control them from a laptop that roams around with me. The problem with the current UI is that changing players requires multiple actions: click on drop down/mouse-move in list/click on selected item in drop-down. This starts to get pretty tedious pretty quickly.

Idea: what if you had something like a tab for each player's playlist panel (a la Safari & Firefox)? I don't mean actual browser tabs, but rather a set of horizontal tabs just above the player control/volume/power button area. Then all the players would be listed across the top and a single click would swap players.

(Wish I had the skills to write my own skin!)

muski

mherger
2008-10-09, 04:14
> Idea: what if you had something like a tab for each player's playlist
> panel (a la Safari & Firefox)?

Safari on OSX? You can use Safari to easily create widgets.

You could eg. open the undocked playerpanel (small button top right, next
to the power button in the web UI) for every player, and save it as a
widget in OSX. This way you'd have simple access to all your players using
the F12 key.

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39756

Michael

Mark Lanctot
2008-10-09, 07:56
The new SC 7.0 interface was a huge improvement over the old versions, but there is one area that still drives me crazy -- changing player selection.

I have four players in my house and often control them from a laptop that roams around with me. The problem with the current UI is that changing players requires multiple actions: click on drop down/mouse-move in list/click on selected item in drop-down. This starts to get pretty tedious pretty quickly.

Idea: what if you had something like a tab for each player's playlist panel (a la Safari & Firefox)? I don't mean actual browser tabs, but rather a set of horizontal tabs just above the player control/volume/power button area. Then all the players would be listed across the top and a single click would swap players.

(Wish I had the skills to write my own skin!)

muski

There already is a tab system within SC - see Settings.

I like the idea but it wouldn't be all that useful to me because I don't change players very often.

muski
2008-10-09, 21:56
The widget idea is very nice -- I'll give it a try.

Yes -- the tab system in Settings would be a great model for this.

Hope that the developer team picks this up for a future release.

Thanks,
muski