PDA

View Full Version : Using a second computer

tubes59
2008-10-08, 09:48
I have squeezecenter up and running on a laptop but I want to be able to switch back and forth between that system and squeezecenter running on a desk top computer to provide the music playing on my transporter. Do I need to make changes at the transporter or in each computer or both? I'm stuck and would really appreciate some help.

androidtopp
2008-10-08, 10:06
I have no Transporter, but I think it would be the same as it is for my SB3 and SBB:

Press and hold the "back," button, and it'll take you to the source configuration menu, where you can pick which (of the one or many) SC instances to link to, or you can connect to SN.

tubes59
2008-10-08, 10:48
Excellent! Thank you.

funkstar
2008-10-08, 11:04
Why are you running two seperate installs of SqueezeCenter?

Not having a go or anything, just asking. There are good reasons to do this, but there have been poeple running two copies because they didn't realise they could do what they wanted with just one installation :)

tubes59
2008-10-08, 11:50
Here's why I have two set up right now. I want the desk top to be my server because it's easier to add hard drive capacity to it later and I can leave it active almost all the time. I'm in the process of getting the desk top stable as the server. Right now, I have mirrors of my itunes library on both my laptop and the desk top until I get the kinks worked out of the desk top server. Because everything was working fine on the laptop, I started with that first.

In terms of other things I don't know how to do and maybe you do let me ask this. With itunes I can access the music files on another computer from my laptop and send it to my stereo that is connected with an airport express. Can I control the music running on my desk top from my laptop with squeezecenter running on both computers? Thanks.

androidtopp
2008-10-08, 12:03
If the music on your computers is being played back from SoftSqueeze, then yes, you could log in to whatever instance of SqueezeCenter that instance of SoftSqueze is connected to, and control playback from there.

But if you're playing music with something other than a physical or virtual SqueezeBox, no. Important to note here that SqueezeCenter itself cannot play back music - that's what SoftSqueeze is for. SoftSqueeze emulates physical SqueezeBox hardware on your PC.

And you wouldn't need SqueezeCenter on both - I think you're trying to reach a solution where your desktop is the only thing running SqueezeCenter. So in that case, the desktop (and any other PC in the house) could run an instance of SoftSqueeze, connected to the desktop's SqueezeCenter instance. Then you could just go to the web address of the desktop's SqueezeCenter instance from any computer, and control the status of any physical or virtual player.

tubes59
2008-10-08, 13:30
I did not have softsqueeze before but now have it installed my laptop. It indicates "connection failed please check server settings" so I'm not sure what to do. I can still control music from the squeeze center on my laptop but would like to get softsqueeze going as well. Sorry for being a total rookie but thank you.

androidtopp
2008-10-08, 13:46
Hmm. To be totally honest, I've never had such an issue with SoftSqueeze - I currently have it running on a Vista x64 desktop, and my SqueezeCenter is running on a Server 2003 machine, tucked in the corner.

Do you get any options on SoftSqueeze, as far as connecting to different SqueezeCenter instances, or connecting to SqueezeNetwork (I'm not actually sure that's possible, as I've never tried it, but it seems like it should be)?

I can check things out when I get home, and actually have access to my computers.

Can we rule out the obvious questions, like are you sure you've got no firewalls turned on, all the computers have IPs, etc?

tubes59
2008-10-08, 17:47
The firewalls are disabled and the computers do have IP addresses. I'm still stuck.....

androidtopp
2008-10-09, 05:39
Let's see - can you telnet to the ports SqueezeCenter uses for player connectivity? You need to be able to hit port 3483 TCP/UDP and port 9000 TCP (although that's just for SqueezeCenter).

Although, if your physical device connects no problem, that's likely not the issue. I'm not super familiar with SoftSqueeze troubleshooting - does anyone out there have more experience?