PDA

View Full Version : AAC breaks synchonization?

dcote
2008-10-08, 08:25
firstly, let me apologize is this is wrong forum - webmaster please feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate place. but i am not sure what is causing my problem...

i recently migrated to a qnap turbonas 409. it is running SSOTS 3.15 (latest), SC 7.2 (latest) and my SB3s are running FW 112 (latest).

everything works fine until i try to play AAC while synched. this immediately breaks synchronization in that one player (always the same one) will begin playing ~4 seconds before the other one. the only thing i could determine to fix that was to restart SC on my qnap.

i am playing AAC through mplayer (included in SSOTS) and it works great (yes, for me it does!), provided i am *not* synched.

even when the AAC track is over, following MP3 and vorbis tracks will not synch anymore.

my linux knowledge is reasonably limited, sorry!

can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance,

dominique

funkstar
2008-10-08, 10:53
I'm pretty sure syncing is not supported for transcoded tracks like ACC.

This may well be different once the "New Streaming" code has been full integrated and polished up for 7.3.

dcote
2008-10-09, 00:29
hey funkstar!

thanks for the heads up - that sounds very reasonable. in that case, i will just wait for 7.3! :-)

dominique

ps/update: i did some more experimenting yesterday and found that behavior was not easily reproduceable. as a matter of fact, i only managed to break synch one more time out of ~10x. the rest of the time it worked fine. go figure... as i said, i'll wait for 7.3 for more conclusive results.

dcote
2008-10-09, 01:03
hey funkstar!

thanks for the heads up - that sounds very reasonable. in that case, i will just wait for 7.3! :-)

dominique

ps/update: i did some more experimenting yesterday and found that behavior was not easily reproduceable. as a matter of fact, i only managed to break synch one more time out of ~10x. the rest of the time it worked fine. go figure... as i said, i'll wait for 7.3 for more conclusive results.

funkstar
2008-10-09, 02:22
Or wait to see if someone else has better input :)

I don't use AACs and I don't sync my players so I'm really not the best person to answer this, just going by memory of what I've read elsewhere :)