PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Snooze Behavior

the_arm
2008-10-08, 07:25
Hi all -
I'm completely loving my SB Boom; I just got it last week, and am in the process of learning how I'll use it differently than my SB3.

I'm using it as a bedside alarm clock, and I've noticed some unexpected behaviors related to the alarm snooze feature. If it hasn't been discussed already, I thought I'd throw it out there and if needs be I'll submit an enhancement request.

Thing #1: If I'm listening to music quietly (or in my case some background sound effects while sleeping) and the alarm goes off, I would expect that when I snooze the alarm, the Boom would go back to playing what I was playing before. Instead it goes quiet. Unexpected, to me at least...

Thing #2: Because of that, this morning, after waking up to my alarm sound and hitting snooze and having the player go silent, I decided I'd flip on a news stream and listen to it until the alarm went off again telling me to wake up. It never did. It seems like if you hit snooze and then start playing music, the alarm won't sound again?

Do others see the same behavior? I haven't tested Thing #2 as much as Thing #1 (which is obvious), so maybe something else happened. I will double check tonight, though, if others don't see this behavior.

Thanks,
arm

max.spicer
2008-10-08, 07:29
Thing #1: If I'm listening to music quietly (or in my case some background sound effects while sleeping) and the alarm goes off, I would expect that when I snooze the alarm, the Boom would go back to playing what I was playing before. Instead it goes quiet. Unexpected, to me at least...

That is by design.

Thing #2: Because of that, this morning, after waking up to my alarm sound and hitting snooze and having the player go silent, I decided I'd flip on a news stream and listen to it until the alarm went off again telling me to wake up. It never did. It seems like if you hit snooze and then start playing music, the alarm won't sound again?

Again by design. By restarting the music/changing the playlist you have indicated that you're awake and so the alarm stops. The snooze button is only intended to let you catch a few extra winks.

Max

the_arm
2008-10-08, 07:43
Thanks for the quick reply!

I can see how the first point would be by design, although by doing so it does behave differently than all other ambient-noise-making alarm clocks I've owned. But, the Boom doesn't claim to be one of those.

#2 is confusing to me, though. I guess, the behavior I'd expect when I hit the snooze button at 9:00 am is that it has, in effect, set another alarm at 9:09 am (or whatever) and that that alarm would interrupt any music that is playing just like the first alarm did. See what I mean? Currently, the second alarm (the snoozed one) behaves differently than the first in the sense that it can't or doesn't interrupt music; the primary alarm, however, does.

Incidentally, when I snoozed the alarm and then started playing my music, the alarm display icon kept flashing as if it were still snoozed and ready to play an alarm. Or at least, I'm pretty sure it did.

regardless, neither is the end of the world..but #2, I think, could potentially capture some people off guard.

thanks!
-arm