PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to ask...

ezsurfing
2008-10-08, 04:46
Hi, I have a SB3 and it streams music from my MAC (OSX 10.4 with SlimServer 6.5) and my main hard drive is almost full and want to move the iTunes Music folder to another hard drive. I wanted to know if my SB will be able to find and play straight away the music from the other location.

mherger
2008-10-08, 04:55
> the iTunes Music folder to another hard drive. I wanted to know if my
> SB will be able to find and play straight away the music from the other
> location.

You'll probably have to run a new scan.

Michael

ezsurfing
2008-10-08, 05:02
> the iTunes Music folder to another hard drive. I wanted to know if my
> SB will be able to find and play straight away the music from the other
> location.

You'll probably have to run a new scan.

Michael

How to do the new scan? Starting SB and ?

pnharrison
2008-10-08, 05:04
There's no reason why it shouldn't be able to do that; whether connect an external drive via firewire/sub or use a NAS over a wired network. (NAS over wireless might struggle on performance)

Just change the settings in Slimserver to the location of the new music folder and do a rescan.

Oh, and if you're stillon Slimerserver 6.5 you might want to upgrade your software to Squeezecenter 7.2.

pnharrison
2008-10-08, 05:06
>> How to do the new scan? Starting SB and ?

On your Mac, under Slimserver (or Squeezecenter) settings; you will find an option to Clear and Rescan the music library.

mherger
2008-10-08, 05:12
> How to do the new scan? Starting SB and ?

Open the web interface, go to server settings and you'll find a drop down
list with a "Wipe and rescan" option.

Michael

ezsurfing
2008-10-08, 06:11
There's no reason why it shouldn't be able to do that; whether connect an external drive via firewire/sub or use a NAS over a wired network. (NAS over wireless might struggle on performance)

Just change the settings in Slimserver to the location of the new music folder and do a rescan.

Oh, and if you're stillon Slimerserver 6.5 you might want to upgrade your software to Squeezecenter 7.2.

Is it safe to go to SqueezeCenter now? I have read so many people having problems and issues with it. I kept SlimServer thinking SqueezeCenter was still in the early and buggy stages and wanted to wait until I was able to run it smoothly as SlimServer.

funkstar
2008-10-08, 06:41
Is it safe to go to SqueezeCenter now? I have read so many people having problems and issues with it. I kept SlimServer thinking SqueezeCenter was still in the early and buggy stages and wanted to wait until I was able to run it smoothly as SlimServer.
Well it's been about 8 or 9 months since the initial release and ther have been i think 4 minor bug fix releases and two major updates since the initial 7.0.

The nightly builds of 7.2 should be about as stable as you can get in my opinion.

mherger
2008-10-08, 06:41
> Is it safe to go to SqueezeCenter now? I have read so many people
> having problems and issues with it.

....and there are many, many more happily using it, not even bothering
about coming here. Go for it!

Michael

ezsurfing
2008-10-08, 06:53
Well it's been about 8 or 9 months since the initial release and ther have been i think 4 minor bug fix releases and two major updates since the initial 7.0.

The nightly builds of 7.2 should be about as stable as you can get in my opinion.

Will I keep the same plugins I have or do I have to download and install new ones?
Thanks everyone for the replies.

funkstar
2008-10-08, 07:08
Will I keep the same plugins I have or do I have to download and install new ones?
Thanks everyone for the replies.
You will need new plugins. The whole plugin system was re-written for 7.0, this was one of the major changes. It's now much much harder for bad plugins to crash SqueezeCenter.

Oh, and if you do have problems, let us know! then the developers can fix those bugs and make it better for everyone :)

pfarrell
2008-10-08, 10:14
ezsurfing wrote:
> Is it safe to go to SqueezeCenter now? I have read so many people
> having problems and issues with it. I kept SlimServer thinking
> SqueezeCenter was still in the early and buggy stages and wanted to
> wait until I was able to run it smoothly as SlimServer.

I've been running SC 7.2 for months. This is two versions since it
became SqueezeCenter, which came out when the Duet/Controller was in
released.

I've never had any serious problem with SC.

I say try it and if you hate, revert.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

funkstar
2008-10-08, 11:00
I say try it and if you hate, revert.
If you hate the new web interface skin then use the Classic one thats still there.

If it plain doesn't work for then report bugs! please! Then everyone else (including yourself) benefits :)

androidtopp
2008-10-08, 11:20
I also have had zero difficulty with SqueezeCenter versus SlimServer. I did flip back to the classic skin as funkstar suggests, as I find it's faster to navigate.

ezsurfing
2008-10-08, 16:08
I also have had zero difficulty with SqueezeCenter versus SlimServer. I did flip back to the classic skin as funkstar suggests, as I find it's faster to navigate.

But are u using in a MAC or PC?

ezsurfing
2008-10-08, 16:48
Sorry for the newbie question: what are the steps to follow to install SC? Does it uninstall Slimserver automatically? I guess not since I am on Mac OS X. And so, what happens to SB3 when I uninstall SC and how to do the rest?

ezsurfing
2008-10-09, 02:25
Guys? I read the guides but doesn't say what I have to do with SlimServer when I install SC.

funkstar
2008-10-09, 02:41
I don't actually know the official answer to this.

I think SC7 will upgrade your install, removing SlimServer along the way (although with the name change, it is installed inot another folder). But it's been so long I can't remember for sure.

Personally I would manually remove SlimServer, thats what I generally do for any software that has such a large upgrade.

ezsurfing
2008-10-09, 05:06
I don't actually know the official answer to this.

I think SC7 will upgrade your install, removing SlimServer along the way (although with the name change, it is installed inot another folder). But it's been so long I can't remember for sure.

Personally I would manually remove SlimServer, thats what I generally do for any software that has such a large upgrade.

I am worried about that uninstalling automatically as I am on MAc OS X and not Windows.

androidtopp
2008-10-09, 05:29
I'm using a PC.

I just did a SlimServer to SqueezeCenter upgrade this weekend for someone (again, on a PC) and it did automatically uninstall SlimServer during the upgrade. If you have a Mac...YMMV. I have no personal experience.

ezsurfing
2008-10-09, 05:41
I'm using a PC.

I just did a SlimServer to SqueezeCenter upgrade this weekend for someone (again, on a PC) and it did automatically uninstall SlimServer during the upgrade. If you have a Mac...YMMV. I have no personal experience.

Is there any of the senior members or developers around to find out about this? I read the wiki guides but it doesn't mention how to install SqueezeCenter on Mac OS X with a previous SlimServer install. It all looks like I have to uninstall Slimserver first, different to the Windows installation process; but just want to be sure.

ezsurfing
2008-10-09, 08:32
Anybody around?

androidtopp
2008-10-09, 08:56
This will be unhelpful becuase of it's lack of specificity, but you might not lose too much if you manually uninstall SlimServer and manually install SqueezeCenter. I know there is a configuration file for SlimServer called "slimserver.pref" that you can try saving, but that's different between SlimServer and SqueezeCenter - I'm almost positive you can't use that preferences file with SqueezeCenter.

Then again, if you've not made too many radical changes, you might not even need to worry. You will need to download new plugins, though, as one of the major changes in SqueezeCenter vs SlimServer was the plugin system.

Also, see the wiki here for Mac (what appear to be clean install) instructions: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/MacInstallationGuide

Here's what I would recommend. Save out that preferences file, and do the upgrade, without uninstalling SlimServer first. If it totally breaks everything, you can always uninstall, and then reinstall SlimServer, using your saved out preferences file to restore things to the way they were when you started. And if it works - golden. You're all set.

Edit: Just noticed that the install link above appears to be for SlimServer, not for SqueezeCenter. So...might not be too useful.

ezsurfing
2008-10-09, 09:56
Thanks for the reply. I was asking because the guide only shows the installation for SlimServer on MAC. I wonder and was hoping to read how users with SqueezeCenter on MAC had done the upgrade.
Should I leave SlimServer installed and install Squeezecenter then? Will the SB3 recognize which one to respond to?

whitman
2008-10-10, 10:46
Hi ezsurfing. How about you start a new thread with something like 'Help please from Mac upgraders to SqueezeCenter' so that our fellow proper-computer users get the message? I too am interested in what they might say as I've been waiting around a while now, dithering about taking the step from Slim to Squeeze, with almost identical doubts and concerns to you - in other words, no obvious instructions anywhere, and worries about what it will do to my existing (trouble-free) set-up.

androidtopp
2008-10-10, 10:52
This information, once we determine the actual behavior, would be a great addition to the Wiki - it looks to have only a description of a clean SlimServer Mac install, so if folks with Macs can help clarify the clean and upgrade behavior on SqueezeCenter, we'll have a place to point people in the future!

whitman
2008-10-22, 00:27
So, no Mac users have made the move from Slim to Squeeze? Really? Oh well.

Ezsurfing: presumably you didn't want to make that new thread? I'm happy to do it. If I see no reply to the contrary, I'll put one up in the next few days.