PDA

View Full Version : Ya wanna know what's wrong with SB's...

Howard Passman
2008-10-08, 02:34
...you can't get enough configurations of them. I bet if Logitech made 50 different iterations, we'd all want one of each. It's the only thing in my house that everytime I look at it I think to myself, "...if only". It's crazy.

Last night I took my BOOM outside to listen to while reading the paper. I hooked it to a power pack for my studio strobes. Worked great, but still 15lbs of gear. I wish for a small, completely portable (read rechargeable) SB. It doesn't have to blast. As a matter of fact, I want something that's more of a personal listening device without headphones or buds. Just something to throw on a table outside with no cables that I can enjoy without disturbing my neighbors. BOOM size is great.....I guess I want a BOOM that's rechargeable with a handle. Perfect. Then I'd have 5 of these darn things and I be like some of my idols (iPhone, autopilot, etc.):-)

A guy can dream........

Howard

iPhone
2008-10-08, 09:06
...you can't get enough configurations of them. I bet if Logitech made 50 different iterations, we'd all want one of each. It's the only thing in my house that everytime I look at it I think to myself, "...if only". It's crazy.

Last night I took my BOOM outside to listen to while reading the paper. I hooked it to a power pack for my studio strobes. Worked great, but still 15lbs of gear. I wish for a small, completely portable (read rechargeable) SB. It doesn't have to blast. As a matter of fact, I want something that's more of a personal listening device without headphones or buds. Just something to throw on a table outside with no cables that I can enjoy without disturbing my neighbors. BOOM size is great.....I guess I want a BOOM that's rechargeable with a handle. Perfect. Then I'd have 5 of these darn things and I be like some of my idols (iPhone, autopilot, etc.):-)

A guy can dream........

Howard

How long does it need to play for? Sounds like you are out by the pool or on the patio a lot. Get a small sealed 12VDC battery and a small solar cell array used to trickle charge a 12V battery. Make a power harness for battery to Boom, your done. Now all you have to do is move the Boom without power supply back and forth.

NOTE: Running a Boom off anything other then the OEM PS might/can void ones warranty. Make a harness so that the leads are correct and can't be reversed. I used a keyed quick disconnect on the battery that allowed me to switch between the array and power plug for the Boom. When I am done listening, unpluging the Boom lead reminded me to plug in the array.

I have replaced my single small battery setup by placing a 12VDC sealed marine gel cell battery in a battery box inside my basement under the main back deck connected to a solar panel charging array on the roof of the house. I have 5 fused leads outside running to the places around the two decks and pool where I use the Boom the most. I only move the Boom now. No more carrying the power supply and extension lead for the outside covered outlets.

If anybody decides to do something similar with the battery outside, remember to bring the battery inside when it gets to cold to use the Boom outside.

lanierb
2008-10-08, 09:22

I agree, but I have a feeling it's the flexibility of the system that makes you think that. Other stuff you just know it will never happen so you don't bother thinking about it, but with the SB you have the feeling that a lot of things are possible, so you start thinking.

As for the battery pack, there are much better solutions, but I agree that users shouldn't have to come up with them themselves. Making a small rechargeable pack for the boom is easy enough that Logitech/SD should definitely do it. I'm thinking a small, good looking battery pack that will last a few hours per charge, can accept the standard boom wall wart for charging, and has an output jack to match the boom.

CatBus
2008-10-08, 09:43
I'm thinking a small, good looking battery pack that will last a few hours per charge, can accept the standard boom wall wart for charging, and has an output jack to match the boom.

Hey, as long as we're making a wishlist, how 'bout a battery pack that can run a pair of AudioEngine A5's. You can then use the AC outlet in the speaker to power a Boom/SB3/wireless bridge/whatever you like.

Howard Passman
2008-10-08, 11:27
How long does it need to play for? Sounds like you are out by the pool or on the patio a lot. .

I am out there as much as humanly possible :-) Even now that the pool is closed, it's just my little piece of heaven. 30-100 degrees, day or night.

The power pack I'm using is for my studio strobes and it is very clean 120V 60Hz power. It will probably run the BOOM for many hours.

I'm looking for a grab and run set up. I'm carrying the newspaper, a dog toy and a beer (now that Fall is here a Black & Tan). So I want something that's not going to make me make a second trip :-) Am I spoiled or what?

Still dreaming.......

Howard Passman
2008-10-08, 11:32
Hey, as long as we're making a wishlist, how 'bout a battery pack that can run a pair of AudioEngine A5's. You can then use the AC outlet in the speaker to power a Boom/SB3/wireless bridge/whatever you like.

That would take some serious battery power and for me it's more than I want to move at times. That's what I mean about iterations. I use the SBR and A5's for all day events, the BOOM for all day or most of the day involving me and maybe my wife and then I'd like a little personal do-hicky for just me for short spurts. I actually have a set of wireless headphones hooked to a SBR inside that will to most places outside, but I don't like wearing them for long periods.

Heck, I'd settle for a second cradle. Sorry couldn't resist.

Howard

leefc
2008-10-08, 16:24
I don't want to hijack the thread, but the "if only" comment I have is terrestrial FM. I just like to switch to local FM as well. Not all stations broadcast online.

The biggest benefit for me, though, is not relying on the network being up for the clock radio alarm feature. Waking up with a radio would be potentially more reliable.

I've been looking hard at this device and wishing....

Howard Passman
2008-10-08, 19:41
I don't want to hijack the thread, but the "if only" comment I have is terrestrial FM. I just like to switch to local FM as well. Not all stations broadcast online.

The biggest benefit for me, though, is not relying on the network being up for the clock radio alarm feature. Waking up with a radio would be potentially more reliable.

I've been looking hard at this device and wishing....

....to setting a second alarm clock :-) I don't see Logitech ever incorporating AM/FM in to one of their products. Ya never know....

Howard

Nonreality
2008-10-09, 02:13
....to setting a second alarm clock :-) I don't see Logitech ever incorporating AM/FM in to one of their products. Ya never know....

Howard
You poor rich folk, maybe you could hire me to chase you around with the boom and an extention cord. hahaha It would cost you though. :)

funkstar
2008-10-09, 02:15
The Boom contains an actual clock and saves alarms internally as well. It also has a built in alarm sound, so if the network or the server goes down over night the Boom should still activate the alarm.

Howard Passman
2008-10-09, 12:23
You poor rich folk, maybe you could hire me to chase you around with the boom and an extention cord. hahaha It would cost you though. :)

Extension cords and pools...and alcohol...doesn't sound good. Like Richard Pryor said, "I didn't get to be old by being no fool".

Howard

maggior
2008-10-09, 13:44
Yeah, that would be a bad combo.

I enjoy my deck. After we had ours rebuilt last year, my contribution to the project was a set of outdoor speakers connected to the secondary speaker connection of the receiver in my family room.

So, when I BBQ or hang out on the deck, 1st thing I do is set up the stereo. I turn on my receiver, turn on the B speakers, turn off the sub, and change to the appropriate input.

I then grab my BBQ utensils, whatever meat I'm cooking, and throw my SBC in my pocket. I control everything with my SBC. This was part of the appeal of the Duet for me.

Most of my time is spent on deciding what to listen too :-). Though now I just pick a song I'm in the mood for and make a MusicIP mix from it.

Even though the stereo has to be turned on, configured, etc., I still think it is easier than carrying a Boom (with a p.s. or not) out onto the deck.

But I'm sure you must have thought of this already. :-)

aubuti
2008-10-09, 15:12
Extension cords and pools...and alcohol...doesn't sound good. Like Richard Pryor said, "I didn't get to be old by being no fool".
Somewhere on these forums there's a hilarious photo of a bunch of guys drinking beer in an in inflatable pool, and their audio equipment (a boombox? - I don't remember, but not a SD/Logi product) is being powered by an extension cord that crosses the pool, with the surge protector floating on a flip-flop. So far my searches for it have come up dry, but maybe someone else can find it...

bpa
2008-10-09, 16:06
I think this is it
http://blog.oilandgasinvest.com/public/.redneck_pool_party_m.jpg

Krist
2008-10-10, 01:49
I have replaced my single small battery setup by placing a 12VDC sealed marine gel cell battery in a battery box inside my basement under the main back deck connected to a solar panel charging array on the roof of the house.

How does the Boom sound when on batteries? I guess what you did might even improve the sound. What is your experience?

funkstar
2008-10-10, 02:51
I think this is it
Thats the one! :)

funkstar
2008-10-10, 02:55
How does the Boom sound when on batteries? I guess what you did might even improve the sound. What is your experience?
I can kind of understand how using a different power supply with an SB3 and high end amp and speakers would improve things, but I personally very much doubt there would be a descernable difference with a closed system like the Boom.

Sure the Boom is built with quality in mind and it is a good design, but you are still talking about a $300 unit. Even $300 per speaker is considerend low end :)

aubuti
2008-10-10, 08:47
I think this is it
Yep, that's it - thanks! And I had forgotten that the power strip was stretched across *2* flipflops....

dwilliams01
2008-10-10, 15:23
Yep, that's it - thanks! And I had forgotten that the power strip was stretched across *2* flipflops....

That's so it could be kept cooled, I would think... Water is a very effective cooling agent. :)

Howard Passman
2008-10-10, 17:32
I think this is it

That is sick funny :-)