PDA

View Full Version : now playing/spectrum analyzer behaving differently since SC7.2/FW112?

dcote
2008-10-08, 01:22
i use the full-screen spectrum analyzer as my "now playing" screen saver.

since i migrated to SC 7.2 and SBC FW 112, it has been behaving differently from my previous SC 7.0 installation.

with the old version, the song info would roll in from the right, display in small font at the top edge of the screen for some seconds and then roll back out again to the right.

on the new version, the song info rolls in, displays for a maximum of 1 second (way too short, i cant read it!) then simply disappears.

firstly, that doesnt look quite as cool as it used to, but much more importantly, the text disappears much too quickly for anyone to read!

i couldnt find a setting on the web GUI, is there maybe something i overlooked? or is there a config file i can modify? or a *.pm file i can edit?

is it possible that my migration to a qnap/linux server has anything to do with this?

thanks in advance guys!

peterw
2008-10-08, 14:53
That screensaver's behavior is controlled by Slim/Plugin/Visualizer/Plugin.pm. If you're on MacOS, Linux, etc., you can just edit the file & restart SqueezeCenter. On Windows, you might also need to switch from running the EXE to using ActiveState Perl to run the PL version of SC7. I modify that file to remove the very text you want to see since I get track info from other screensavers via SaverSwitcher. :-) I don't know how easy it'll be to make the changes you want, but that's the place to start.

Consider filing a bug at bugs.slimdevices.com if nobody else has done so -- I imagine anybody else who likes having the text appear would share your concerns.

-Peter

MrSinatra
2008-10-08, 23:03
dcote,

if u file the bug, i'll vote for it.

dcote
2008-10-08, 23:29
hi peter!

thx for the help!

well, since i consider myself to be more of a "user" type than a "operator" type, understanding the perl and editing it is probably too complicated for me. ;-)

filed a bug at:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9681

mr. sinatra: vote for me! and we can do it! ;-)

Mark Lanctot
2008-10-09, 07:12
I agree - I noticed that and it doesn't look as nice. I voted for it.

I've also noticed that when you go right or left around in the menu that the "swipe" transitions have changed as well. It goes by very fast as it did earlier, but when you look at it, it seems "wrong" somehow at the moment. I'll have to look at it very closely if I'm going to write a bug report.

MrSinatra
2008-10-09, 16:41
dcote,

don't forget to vote for it yourself.

Mark Lanctot
2008-10-10, 05:31
I've also noticed that when you go right or left around in the menu that the "swipe" transitions have changed as well. It goes by very fast as it did earlier, but when you look at it, it seems "wrong" somehow at the moment. I'll have to look at it very closely if I'm going to write a bug report.

Guess it was my imagination, I tried it out on the SB2 yesterday afternoon and everything behaved as I expected it to.

dcote
2008-10-10, 05:34
hi mr sinatra!

actually, while filing the bug, i found the full-screen spectrum analyzer wasnt working for me anyways. some of my vorbis files soar up to 530 kbit/s and beyond (!), which cause my SBs to stutter and "rebuffer" when the spectrum analyzer is running.

some of those tracks are really new in my collection (like juno reactor remixes of masters of the universe) and i like listening to them all the time right now. thats how i discovered the SBs cant handle FFTs, graphics and vorbis decoding at the same time...

because of that, i changed "my bug's" priority to "minor".

but yeah, i guess i could vote for it. ;-)

not sure if others (like you) can change the priority back higher again, if not, and you'd like it higher again let me know here.

wiped
2008-10-16, 16:40
I have the exact same problem after 7.2 upgrade and for me it's a major issue since i normally change the font to full to display it "full screen" and then have the song text scroll for e.g. 20 seconds and then off for 60 seconds using spectrum analyzer (i edit the plugin.pm for this).
it's actually a very nice looking way to display the song info etc..

With 7.2 the text is displayed for 1 second and then disappears, which makes it impossible to use, with or without the font size change.

I've even tried the 7.0 plugin.pm without any luck...
For me this is a major issue and i really want this fixed. i'll vote for it and try to put it at higher prio.

EDIT:
Seems i cannot change the prio (or i missed how i can do it), so please change it if possible.

I found an picture where you can see the font i change to (this is actually with the analog meters) in case someone are interested.
http://bratts.smugmug.com/gallery/2045119_eCLvX#105039385_scKhh-A-LB

dcote
2008-10-21, 04:06
hi wiped!

cool screensaver! maybe i can persuade you to write a "how to" in a new thread? ;-)

ummm.... since i filed the bug, i set the priority to "major" some days ago (check the bug thread), but it seems that someone downgraded it back down to "normal".

if you feel it is important, comment in the bug thread (and vote for it!) and maybe slimdevices will set it back to "major"...