PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Songbird Integration

Labarum
2008-10-06, 12:38
I like the look of Songbird, but it is not yet mature enough.

Can you foresee the time when it might be able to act as a front end for Squeezebox hardware? That, after all is the strength and flexibility of open source software.

bhaagensen
2008-10-06, 13:45
What do you mean. Squeezebox hardware are frontends... If you mean that Songbird could work as frontene, or clients, so Squeezecenter that is a matter of Songbird supporting streaming over http. If you mean that Songbird should work as a server for Squeezebox, then I don't think that is going to happen. Squeezecenter is too specialized for that. But most importantly, what do you want to achieve?

Nonreality
2008-10-07, 02:20
What do you mean. Squeezebox hardware are frontends... If you mean that Songbird could work as frontene, or clients, so Squeezecenter that is a matter of Songbird supporting streaming over http. If you mean that Songbird should work as a server for Squeezebox, then I don't think that is going to happen. Squeezecenter is too specialized for that. But most importantly, what do you want to achieve?

I think that he is saying that could you sometime pick songs in Songbird and create a playlist and hit play and they would play. So it would be a frontend to control SC. Maybe he and I are not saying it right but it would be a nice feature for MediaMonkey also.

Labarum
2008-10-07, 03:55
I think that he is saying that could you sometime pick songs in Songbird and create a playlist and hit play and they would play. So it would be a frontend to control SC. Maybe he and I are not saying it right but it would be a nice feature for MediaMonkey also.

Yes, Songbird should do for Squeezebox Hardware what iTunes does for Mac Hardware.

It the longer term it would be nice if open source software would manage whatever streaming hardware is put on the market.

Maximum choice and flexibility for the use should be the aim - open standards for hardware and software.