PDA

View Full Version : Duet with built-in Amp

spc337
2008-10-06, 10:32
When will Slim Devices deliver a product that enables remote speakers (other than powered)? Sonos has a great box that combines the transport and amplification and would like to see a similar offering from Slim Devices.

Does anyone else want such a beast?

mvalera
2008-10-06, 11:04
Sorry, we can't comment on future product possibilities.

Commenting in general tho, we've always preferred that customer choose the amp that fits them best.

You can buy a much better amp than the one built into the Sonos for the price difference between them and Squeezebox Duet.

Mike

pfarrell
2008-10-06, 11:10
spc337 wrote:
> When will Slim Devices deliver a product that enables remote speakers
> (other than powered)?
>
> Does anyone else want such a beast?

Not me. Why would you want speakers that are not powered? Powered
speakers let the speaker designer optimize the speaker and amp together.
This can result in a great sounding speaker at a very attractive price.

Listen to a Boom and hear how good an inexpensive system can sound when
the amp is designed in concert with the speaker.

You could, of course, buy a Boom and a Controller, and have something
with the great remote of the Duet and built in speakers and amps

spc337
2008-10-06, 11:19
This is more a question of convenience. The duet receiver is ideal for concealed locations. I want to mount some speakers from the ceiling in my loft and would prefer an all-in-one solution (Duet Receive/Amp). I suspect there are others that would appreciate the same application.

While I appreciate that there are some reasonable power speaker options, there just are not that many to choose from. The Boom is pretty good, I bought one. I also have a transporter running through my Naim system. I'm not looking for an Audiophile solution, just something that is pleasing while offering convenient installation for remote/out-of-sight locations.

Thanks

pfarrell
2008-10-06, 11:32
spc337 wrote:
> I'm not looking for an Audiophile solution, just
> something that is pleasing while offering convenient installation for
> remote/out-of-sight locations.

IMHO, you just moved out of mass market and into custom/niche markets.
>From what I can see, SD/Logi is moving the other way, out of weird geek
space and into BestBuy.

spc337
2008-10-06, 11:41
Hmmm - Suggesting that a convenient all-in-one solution similar to what is in the mass market from another company is equivalent to moving to the niche market? I completely disagree.

The transporter is a niche device simply due to it's cost. I doubt we will ever see that in BestBuy but you never know. However, if big box retail is the only future for SlimDevices then I guess I should sell my gear now.

I would have to say that since Slim Devices requires the use of a server that they don't sell as a package, I would have to say that most of what Slim Devices sells is still in the geek relm. And no, I don't believe that SqueezeNetwork is any substitute to having SqueezeCenter running on something within your home network.

JJZolx
2008-10-06, 11:44
Does anyone else want such a beast?

I think a lot of people do. If it sounds any good, I might want one.

mvalera
2008-10-06, 12:16
As I said...

Better than "built-in" amps are available. All you need is the ability to auto on/off:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-M-282-2-Channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B000069E2V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223320477&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-Integrated-Digital-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B000J0ORMS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223320477&sr=1-5

Mike

JJZolx
2008-10-06, 12:30
As I said...

Better than "built-in" amps are available.

Yeah? And you can easily put together a much better system than the Boom. So what? It's a convenient size and form-factor, so that will sell it to people who aren't as critical of its weaknesses sonically.

A receiver with built in amp would make a good zone player and eliminate some cabling and an additional component. That's worth something for a lot of people.

spc337
2008-10-06, 12:34
Not to mention that I would like to mount this between the rafters in my loft. I think the Onkyo would look a little funny mounted 15ft in the air. Since the Duet can already handle the Power On/Off issue, it only makes a combined unit more desirable. Since I'll also be mounting my speakers out of reach, the power issue would apply to a "powered" speaker.

upstatemike
2008-10-06, 12:42
A Parasound ZAmp is small enough for most applications where a small and tidy installation is required. If Slim is going to match Sonos features they should go for the local source input before worrying about a model with a built-in amp.

peter
2008-10-06, 12:50
spc337 wrote:
> Hmmm - Suggesting that a convenient all-in-one solution similar to what
> is in the mass market from another company is equivalent to moving to
> the niche market? I completely disagree.
>

Nonsense indeed. SB's come into their own when you have one in every
room. That means buying a whole lot of amps too and lots of wiring
(anyone else hates wiring?, I do!). Now imagine an SBR with an included
T-amp like amp. Velcro it to the back of a passive speaker and you could
have a whole audio system with only two real wires, the power adapter
for the SBR and a speaker lead to the other speaker. Neato.

Regards,
Peter

autopilot
2008-10-06, 13:32
I personally would probably not buy one now, i prefer to choose my own AMP most of the time, but i'm sure that it's a product that would sell well. If i have not bought a t-amp and a SB with built in amp that was as good existed, i would have bought that.

I can see why people dont want one, and the arguments against it like choosing your own AMP and matching up with speakers - but thats your preference and i honestly think most people dont want the hassle, or dont have the knowlege, to do that. I really think it would sell very well - they could even do logitech speaker deals, or even better, partner up with Mission, Kef, B&W or whoever, and do a complete package. Hey, it's worked well so far for another certain streamer manufacturer.

mvalera
2008-10-06, 14:23
Yeah? And you can easily put together a much better system than the Boom. So what? It's a convenient size and form-factor, so that will sell it to people who aren't as critical of its weaknesses sonically.

A receiver with built in amp would make a good zone player and eliminate some cabling and an additional component. That's worth something for a lot of people.

Ok then... please see the first part of my first answer.

We do not comment on future products, or the possibility of future products.

Mike

JJZolx
2008-10-06, 14:27
Ok then... please see the first part of my first answer.

We do not comment on future products, or the possibility of future products.

You should have left it at that.

autopilot
2008-10-06, 14:48
Interesting.

upstatemike
2008-10-06, 15:45
Hey, it's worked well so far for another certain streamer manufacturer.

Except that other manufacturer's product has a fatal flaw in not having a display on it. I hope that if Logitech ever were to develop such a device that it is based on the SB3 and not the SBR.

autopilot
2008-10-07, 01:16
Except that other manufacturer's product has a fatal flaw in not having a display on it. I hope that if Logitech ever were to develop such a device that it is based on the SB3 and not the SBR.

It's not a flaw, just a difference approach. Have you seen a Sono's? Would you want something that looked like a child training potty on display? That said, if you use the Controller, using the screen would be optional. So yes, it would be nice.

Themis
2008-10-07, 12:32
You can buy a much better amp than the one built into the Sonos for the price difference between them and Squeezebox Duet.I find this recommendation very appropriate. Amps integration into other devices offers often a poor money/quality ratio, except for portable devices and speakers.
If quality is not a concern, then amplified speakers (even cheap, the PC ones) offer still better money/quality ratio. (Logitech ones, for instance).

spc337
2008-10-07, 16:15
Everyone is welcome to their own thoughts. For me, stashing an Amp/Duet combo was preferable to powered speakers/Duet but I'm looking at both. The former just makes sense and I suspect Sonos is doing well with their offering.

While I respect that Logitech/SlimDevices doesn't comment on product direction, it seems a little dismissive of customers who have bought 1000's of dollars worth of their gear. Perhaps, "While we don't comment on product direction, we appreciate hearing from our customers...." I guess that is just a nice way of ignoring a customer.

Cheers

mvalera
2008-10-07, 16:20
I'm sorry you got that impression, and I may be guilty of assuming that it's implicitly understood...

We absolutely appreciate all feedback and suggestions from our customers, and that is exactly what this forum is for.

Mike