PDA

View Full Version : NetBook (e.g. Acer Aspire One) as "server" for SqueezeCentre

Yanntoe
2008-10-04, 13:36
Hi
Has anyone used a Netbook to stream music to their Squeezeboxes?
During the week I'm "flatbound" in Germany and need to sort out some music. I've decided to go the SB route as that's what I have at home (1000+ albums on FLAC).
However, I don't really want/need another fully fledged PC system (screen/keyboard/mouse/box etc) so I wonderered if there is a reason why, e.g. an Acer Aspire One, wouldn't do the trick. I know that I'd need to use an external hard disc for the music files (QNAP running Squeezecentre or similar), but I like the idea of an integral screen, Web connection to download the latest firmware/software updates, and possibly the odd e-mail. I have a works laptop so anything more complicated can be done on that.

Seems like less outlay and less boxes than the Mac or PC option, or does this question just show that I really don't understand this media streaming malarky?

Cheers

terry_gardener
2008-10-04, 14:29
as long as the netbook meets the minimum specs for the squeezecenter software it should be fine, as since your music is flac the software shouldn't have to encode the music first.

if you get a qnap you can actually install slimserver or squeezecentre on it so you dont even need a pc running to play music, but i have found the web interface is slower than using pc/laptop as server for the software.

cheapest option might be to get a usb HDD for the music and plug it into the netbook.

wcs
2008-12-03, 10:32
I'm sure you must have sorted it by now.

But for the record, I just installed squeezecenter on the aspire one and works flawlessly.
Quite a bit of ram goes to perl and mysql as expected, but even in this model (with 512Mb ram), it's working fine and I experience no slowdowns, either in the server or in the computer.

sjschaff
2008-12-23, 16:24

But for the record, I just installed squeezecenter on the aspire one and works flawlessly.
Quite a bit of ram goes to perl and mysql as expected, but even in this model (with 512Mb ram), it's working fine and I experience no slowdowns, either in the server or in the computer.

Are you running XP or Linux? I was thinking of installing Ubuntu on the Aspire One since I've left the world of Windows far behind. Oh, and I'd be fully wireless running both a Transporter and SqueezeBox.

dsdreamer
2008-12-24, 00:14
Are you running XP or Linux? I was thinking of installing Ubuntu on the Aspire One since I've left the world of Windows far behind. Oh, and I'd be fully wireless running both a Transporter and SqueezeBox.

Can't speak for wcs, but I think you are making a very sound choice. Either OS will do you fine, so choose one for ideological reasons by all means. The only reason I would consider XP is better support for ripping, tagging and transcoding on the server machine, (EAC, dBPoweramp, and friends).

I would do precisely what you are proposing if I had a need to build another music server. Instead I an running a very old Shuttle small form factor PC, which has lower specs than your netbook approach. So I know you will get at least as good results, probably better.

--dsdreamer

CraigieD
2009-01-13, 06:51

How did you manage this? The version of linux on the Acer is a "slimmed" down one. Is there anyone out there that's taken the necessary steps to install squeezecentre on the Acer Aspire One? If so I'd be delighted to hear how you managed it, while retaining the original operating system.

snarlydwarf
2009-01-13, 07:55
How did you manage this? The version of linux on the Acer is a "slimmed" down one. Is there anyone out there that's taken the necessary steps to install squeezecentre on the Acer Aspire One? If so I'd be delighted to hear how you managed it, while retaining the original operating system.

I have the 160G HDD model of the Aspire One... it was trivial to do a debian net installation (though the stock debian kernel is too old for ath5k support, so I had to do it wired).

I wouldn't imagine the flash version is all that different to change: 16G is a lot of room for an OS.

See http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne for a walkthrough for installing on the flash version of the AA1

Skunk
2009-01-13, 07:57

I haven't tried, but the slimmed down linux is Linpus Linux Lite, which is based on Fedora Core 8. According to the Wiki*, 'The SC RPM has been Tested with CentOS 4, CentOS 5, Fedora 7, Fedora 8, Fedora 9, openSUSE 10.3 and openSUSE 11.0. Should also work with any distribution derived from one of those'. But also note further down that 'It should work with other RPM-based distros, but there may be issues that need to be worked-around'.

If there is an easy way to return the netbook to its original state, and if you have your stuff backed up, it might be worth just blindly trying. Hopefully someone who has actually managed it can chime in, but since WCS only had 1 post a month ago I thought I'd offer some vague advice.

*http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenterRPM

badbob
2009-01-13, 08:05
If using Windows I would strongly recommend 1GB of RAM, on my HTPC which is trimmed down with XP services it's usually around 1GB usage. You probably want to leave EAC running for automated ripping when a CD is inserted. Squeeze~1.exe takes about 125MB, so on a 512MB machine (with shared video RAM) you'll be way over. Also mysql is background process which is needed for SS.