PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Duet + Musicip?

Bert57
2008-10-04, 06:51
Is it worth fooling with?
It seems I have read everything here about Musicip and though it is something I would really enjoy I'm not so sure about dealing with all the problems.
What exactly is the tag problem. I've seen discussion about ip replacing tags and corrupting files. Has this been fixed?
Do you have to rescan the full library after a sc upgrade?
Are there any install instructions that address all the extras needed for ip to function properly?
What is headless and why is it used with ip? Is it not recommended to just use the musicip plugin without going headless?
All I want is for it to mix my music based on a selection.

Thanks for any replies.
Steve

mherger
2008-10-05, 10:58
> What exactly is the tag problem. I've seen discussion about ip
> replacing tags and corrupting files. Has this been fixed?

I've never experienced any such action. I only use MIP to do the mixing and don't touch the other featues. No problem.

> Do you have to rescan the full library after a sc upgrade?

SC or MIP? SC sometimes does require a rescan (but this has nothing to do with MIP).

> Are there any install instructions that address all the extras needed
> for ip to function properly?

There's not much to get it up and running for a quick test.

> What is headless and why is it used with ip? Is it not recommended to
> just use the musicip plugin without going headless?

Do as you like. Advantage is you can run it as a background service which is started before you even log on to Windows.

--

Michael

Bert57
2008-10-08, 08:53
Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Tried the install instructions for headless from spicefly and could not get through it. Got to here:

Installing the Headless Mode
Bring up a Command Prompt
Go to the directory C:\Program Files\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer

Went to command prompt and got:
C:\documents and settings\c&S

Couldn't figure out how to get to:
C:\Program Files\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer

Just not computer literate enough to wade through it. Any suggestions?
Thanks again.
Steve

maggior
2008-10-08, 12:37
Use the command cd "\Program Files\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer". cd means "change directory".

The quotes on the command are important because of the space in Program Files.

Bert57
2008-10-08, 14:08
Maggior
Thanks for that. Will give it another try tonight.
Steve

Bert57
2008-10-13, 10:16
Finally had some time this weekend and tried to get musicip going. Managed to get headless installed, thanks Rich, and thought I had it. Unfortunately that was not the case.
When I go to "Squeezecenter settings>plugins" musicip is checked but when I select settings I get "page cannot be displayed". There is no "m" with artist or albums and no musicip in extras.
I am running windows xp with an external hd. Feel sure there is a setting that is wrong but I don't know where to start.
I downloaded the mmm.ini fie and extracted at C:\Program Files\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer
When I open the mmm.imi this is what I have:
[mix]
mixsize=10 tracks
restrict=3 tracks
style=20
variety=0
seed=1
[server]
proxy=0
host=
proxyport=
authentication=
user=
password=
[services]
key=
cache=
port=10002
tivo=1
upnp=0
api=1
readonly=0
cpu=0

Cache needs to be edited but I don't know what to put there. Any suggestions?
tivo=1 and according to spicefly should be 0. Do I just change it in notepad?

Spicefly
The Two most important lines;
CACHE= Must point to the cache file that the GUI is using, since version 1.8.1.b this has moved (something to do with Vista) to the LOGGED ON USER, application data directory.

Don't have a clue what this means. Where do I go and what do I do? Is this just for Vista?

Check the location and update the cache line as appropriate!
If your login is FRED then the cache line would be;
cache=C:\Documents and Settings\FRED\Application Data\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\default.m3lib
What login are they referring to? My musicip is at "C:\Program Files\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer"

Thanks for any help.
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-13, 11:04
Check the location and update the cache line as appropriate!
If your login is FRED then the cache line would be;
cache=C:\Documents and Settings\FRED\Application Data\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\default.m3lib
What login are they referring to? My musicip is at "C:\Program Files\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer"
Steve

Login means your windows user name, so in the example path above, you would repace FRED with your own user name. Or, you could just do a search for default.m3lib and put the full path on the cache= line.

Yes, you just edit it in Notepad.

You will probably need to restart the service after editing the mmm.ini file. And you'll need to do a rescan in Squeezecenter before you can start doing mixes.

Bert57
2008-10-13, 11:46
Thanks Sue. Will give it a try.
Steve

Bert57
2008-10-13, 13:38
Ok! Got the default m3lib file worked out and went to http://localhost:10002/
It was blank so I restarted and it was still blank. Filled in root folder of my music and scanned. It found my music so I validated.
When I got to the bottom of the page I found this:
Server Settings
Enable proxy
Host Port

Enable
proxy

authentication

Username Password

Nothing filled in. Do I need to do anything here?
Thanks again.
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-13, 18:49
You don't need to fill out any of that proxy stuff.

Bert57
2008-10-14, 06:40
Thanks again Sue.
Still a no go on musicip. When I go to squeezecenter>settings>pluggins musicip is checked so on to settings. Looks ok except possibly here:

MusicIP Playlist FormatThis option determines the format used when importing MusicIP playlists.
Prefix: Musicip:
Suffix:

Anything to do here? I know the problem is something simple just unable to find it.
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-14, 08:15
You don't need to do anything there unless you have playlists created in MusicIP that you want imported into Squeezecenter.

It can take a LONG time for MusicIP to validate your music and until it does that, you might not be able to do mixes. When you go to http://localhost:10002/ in your browser, what is listed at the top for total songs, mixable songs, and songs to validate?

Bert57
2008-10-14, 11:32
Really appreciate your patience and help.
This is what I get:

MusicMagic Server
Current Cache
Total songs 291
Mixable songs 271
Songs to validate 1

enter root folder of music
enter text to match songs

Bert57
2008-10-14, 11:58
Just for your information
Musicip is checked under settings in squeezecenter but does not show under extras.
When I start musicip it seems that everything works. Can get mixes it just doesn't seem to communicate with squeezecenter. When I look at "players" under preferences in musicip it shows:
primary sound driver
no sound
vinyl ac97 audio (wav)

MeSue
2008-10-14, 12:00
That's not very many songs. How does it compare to the stats Squeezecenter reports for your music library? If they are vastly different, I'm guessing you have them pointing to different folders. Check what your music folder in Squeezecenter is showing (under basic settings), then copy that same path into the "root folder of music" field in MIP, then click "Add Music."

If you really only have 291 songs in Squeezecenter, then you should be all set to start making mixes. If it's not working as you expect, please explain what you are doing, what is happening, and what you were expecting.

I suggest you read here starting from "Building the MiP database"...
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Integrating_MusicIP_with_SqueezeCenter#Building_th e_MiP_database

You can ignore the parts abut genpuid. That is more advanced and not required. Also searching this forum for MusicIP and reading some of the threads can be helpful. I only just got it all set up again last week after not having used it for a year or two, changing server machines, etc.

MeSue
2008-10-14, 12:46
Musicip is checked under settings in squeezecenter but does not show under extras.
When I start musicip it seems that everything works.

Just saw this message. We were posting at the same time, I guess.

MusicIP is not supposed to appear under Extras. You create a MusicIP mix from your Squeezebox by browsing to a song, artist, genre, or album and pressing and holding the "play" button to generate a mix based on that item. From the Controller, you can also press the wheel button to go into track details, and you should see "Create MusicIP Mix" as a selection there. From the Web UI of Squeezecenter, you generate a mix by clicking the M button that appears next to any items that are mixable.

When I look at "players" under preferences in musicip it shows:
primary sound driver
no sound
vinyl ac97 audio (wav)

That doesn't matter for the squeezebox integration.

Bert57
2008-10-14, 13:28
Sue
That clears up a lot. Thought I would see musicip in extras.
So far I have no "M" showing with album, artist, or genre.
Root folder and squeezecenter were different no of songs. I copied path from sc and put it in MusicMagic Server music folder and clicked add songs. Still have way more songs in MusicMagic Server than sc.
Is there a way to clear the cache in MusicMagic Server to start over?

Thanks
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-14, 15:11
Is there a way to clear the cache in MusicMagic Server to start over?

In the desktop app, select all and delete. Don't worry... It won't delete the actual song files, unless you tick a box in the next prompt. Then either start over with "add songs" in the desktop app or the headless web page. If you use the desktop app for anything, you then have to reload the cache in the headless web page.

Bert57
2008-10-14, 15:17
Thanks so much.
Will work on it for a while this evening and see what I get.
Steve

Bert57
2008-10-15, 07:17
No luck last night.
Found that my music folder was a real mess. Have now moved everything to a new location and put back in only a few albums. Now rescanning and validating and after that will rescan to squeezecenter. Hoping that will help with getting musicip working.
Right now I am just testing to see if I am able to get musicip working. Once I get it right I will then add all my albums but for now it is faster to just have a few.
Thanks again for all the assistance. Would never have been able to get this far without the help.
Steve

Bert57
2008-10-16, 12:03
Searching around I found this:

enabling MiP in the Plugins tab and then selecting "Use MusicIP" under MiP settings.
"under basic settings, remove the path entry for Music Folder (SC will get its info from the MiP database)."
Also this:
MusicIP Mixer settings as follows:
Options: send to: Slimserver
Services port: 10002
API enabled (box checked)

When I last checked musicip>options there was no send to: slimserver. Have done a lot of fooling around for the last couple of days so no telling what I may have done. Is there a way to restor the send to ss if it is still gone? Also reference to preferences and the API service being checked. Is this when not running headless? Thought in headless all services were left blank.
thanks
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-16, 18:34
Searching around I found this:

enabling MiP in the Plugins tab and then selecting "Use MusicIP" under MiP settings.
"under basic settings, remove the path entry for Music Folder (SC will get its info from the MiP database)."

That is old information, I believe. Only remove the path from the Squeezecenter music folder if you have problems with duplicates or weird issues with your library. Otherwise, use the same music path for both SC and MIP.

Also this:
MusicIP Mixer settings as follows:
Options: send to: Slimserver
Services port: 10002
API enabled (box checked)

When I last checked musicip>options there was no send to: slimserver.

That "Send to SlimServer" option only works from the desktop GUI of MusicIP, and even then it is very unreliable. More often than not, it doesn't work at all. I'd stick to creating mixes through Squeezecenter, once you get it up and running. (I'm being optimistic!)

Good luck!

Bert57
2008-10-17, 07:08
Optimism is good.
So I need to put the path (e:/music) in for both SC and MIP. Easy enough. Will try when I get home.
In Mip I did get "Preferences>Send to>Slimserver. Thought I had it but not yet. When I do a rescan in Squeezecenter I get all 0's. Hopefully adding (e:/music) will correct that.

Do I need to add a player to MIP or squeezecenter? When I go to add new device I get a folders screen and can navigate to program files, squeezecenter but don't know what to add. Mip is showing "preferences>player>primary sound driver. Is this correct?

Thanks again.
Steve

MeSue
2008-10-17, 09:18
Optimism is good.
So I need to put the path (e:/music) in for both SC and MIP. Easy enough. Will try when I get home.
In Mip I did get "Preferences>Send to>Slimserver. Thought I had it but not yet. When I do a rescan in Squeezecenter I get all 0's. Hopefully adding (e:/music) will correct that.

If you are on Windows you probably need to reverse your / (e:\music is a proper Windows path). So, yes, put that path into MIP, press add music, and let it add all your music. It will show on the headless web page when it is adding songs and then the message will go away when it's done. It will show you total songs, total mixable songs, and possibly songs to validate. If you see songs to validate, you will want to go to the section below and press "Start Validation." This part could run for a long time... just let it do its thing.

Now, after you've added the songs in MIP (it can be while they are still validating), put the same path in your settings for SC and let SC do a full rescan. Then browse some of your music and see if you an create mixes.

Do I need to add a player to MIP or squeezecenter? When I go to add new device I get a folders screen and can navigate to program files, squeezecenter but don't know what to add. Mip is showing "preferences>player>primary sound driver. Is this correct?

If you plan to use MIP headless, you don't need to worry about the player options in the desktop app's preferences. You don't need to do anything with adding a device, either. If you followed spicefly's instructions for getting the headless server running, you don't really need to do anything more in the desktop app, unless you want to create filters--but lets get it working before we think about that!

Bert57
2008-10-17, 09:26
I'll be home soon and will give it a try. Appreciate all the hand holding.
I'm really anxious to get Musicip working. Such a great concept.
Steve

Bert57
2008-10-21, 12:59
Finally got Musicip working on my work computer. Thanks so much for all the help.
Will be trying to get it set up on my home computer this pm and have two questions.
1. Spicefly instructions:
How to install MusicIP in Headless mode
Assumptions
MusicIP Version 1.8.1b
Installed at default file location;
C:\Program Files\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer
My Music Collection file location;
C:\Documents and Settings\rocky\My Documents\My Music
My music is on an external hd (E) with no documents and settings folder and no sign in name. Just E:my music. How would I write that?

2. Spicefly states:
Now the configuration part
Here is an extract of the mmm.ini file showing the important bits;

[services]
key=
cache=C:\Documents and Settings\rocky\Application Data\MusicIP\MusicIP Mixer\default.m3lib
port=10002
tivo=0
upnp=0
api=1

Will the cache line be the same even though my music is on Drive E?

Thanks again.
Steve