PDA

View Full Version : A question about the line-out on the Boom ...

gweempose
2008-10-03, 21:02
I just received my Boom today, and so far I am very impressed! It seems like it's well built, and the sound quality is quite good. I do, however, have a question about the line-out/headphone jack. Is there any way to have the jack active as a line-out while simultaneously listening to music through the built-in speakers? I would like to use the Boom as a bedside clock/radio, but I also want to send a signal from it to an FM transmitter so I can listen to it in my bathroom. Is there any way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

MeSue
2008-10-03, 21:17
Looks like it will be in 7.3 - http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9051

For now, I think you can set the line out to subwoofer and it will keep the speakers on, but with reduced bass. More discussion here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52560

gweempose
2008-10-03, 22:31
Thanks for the links! Clearly, there are many others who see the need for a true fixed level line-out jack which is independent of the built-in speakers and volume control. At least it's good to know that it can be accomplished with a software/firmware update. Personally, I think they dropped the ball when they designed the hardware. They should have added a dedicated headphone jack on the front or the side of the unit that was completely separate from the line-out jack on the back.

ModelCitizen
2008-10-04, 00:19
Personally, I think they dropped the ball when they designed the hardware. They should have added a dedicated headphone jack on the front or the side of the unit that was completely separate from the line-out jack on the back.
It's probably the only ball that was dropped though.... unfortunately it was quite a big ball! But happily, addressing bug 9051 will enable an almost full recovery to be made. It's a shame that the date for its resolution has been shunted back to 7.3 though, as I am heartily fed up of fiddling around in the dark trying plug the headphones back into that peculiarly inaccessible socket.

MC

JJZolx
2008-10-04, 19:32
Personally, I think they dropped the ball when they designed the hardware. They should have added a dedicated headphone jack on the front or the side of the unit that was completely separate from the line-out jack on the back.

That was pretty much the universal sentiment during beta testing as well. Unfortunately, only minor cosmetic hardware changes were possible by that point.