PDA

View Full Version : Moving my Music Library

Chewie
2008-10-03, 07:57
In recent weeks I have consolidated my three separate music libraries, hosted on three separate drives onto a single drive. This weekend I plan to point Squeezecentre at the new library and was wondering if there are any precautions I should take, any potential problems or is it just a case of pointing Squeezecentre at the new drive and instigating a complete rescan.

Having lost my Trackstat ratings once, Iím eager never to repeat that problem again.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Carl :-)

erland
2008-10-03, 08:52
Making sure you have a TrackStat backup file that contains all information is a good start. If you like to be completely safe, you will also take a copy of the Cache/MySQL directory after you have shutdown SqueezeCenter.

If you have Musicbrainz tags in your music files, TrackStat will be able to automatically reconnect the statistics to the new path's. If you don't have Musicbrainz tags there is no way to reconnect the statistics without manually edit the TrackStat backup file in a text editor to change the path's and then perform a TrackStat restore after you have rescanned your library.

A third party developer is working on a patch which will make it possible for TrackStat to reconnect tracks during restore if only the first part of the path has changed. If this patch works it will be included in a future TrackStat version.

Tagging your music with musicbrainz tags is generally a good investment to simplify structure changes of your library.

pablolie
2008-10-03, 09:01
In recent weeks I have consolidated my three separate music libraries, hosted on three separate drives onto a single drive. This weekend I plan to point Squeezecentre at the new library and was wondering if there are any precautions I should take, any potential problems or is it just a case of pointing Squeezecentre at the new drive and instigating a complete rescan.

Having lost my Trackstat ratings once, Iím eager never to repeat that problem again.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

Carl :-)

Playlists! They'll contain drive-specific pointers. I learned the hard way - I had to manually edit all my playlists.

Chewie
2008-10-15, 01:46
If you don't have Musicbrainz tags there is no way to reconnect the statistics without manually edit the TrackStat backup file in a text editor to change the path's and then perform a TrackStat restore after you have rescanned your library.

It looks like I am about to loose my rating again then :-(

erland, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by manually editing the TrackStat Backup file? Is it just a case of editing a couple of lines or a line for every rated track?

If all else fails erland, is there a way to print out my existing ratings to aid me in re-rating the moved library.

Regards

Carl.

erland
2008-10-15, 10:10
erland, excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by manually editing the TrackStat Backup file? Is it just a case of editing a couple of lines or a line for every rated track?

If only the beginning of the path has changed, it is probably possible to use the "replace all" functionality in the text editor of your choice.

If this is the case, the next TrackStat version will be able to restore the ratings correctly as long as the filenames and the last two directories in the path is the same.

If all else fails erland, is there a way to print out my existing ratings to aid me in re-rating the moved library.

What information would you need in the report ?

It should be possible to do with the Database Query plugin, you just have to figure out the correct SQL statement. The actual path is a bit problematic because it is encoded in the database, so unfortunately I think you will only get the encoded version in the report (same as the one shown in the backup xml file).

If you like to do a report, you should do this before you switch to the new disc.

Yannzola
2008-10-27, 16:20
If you have Musicbrainz tags in your music files, TrackStat will be able to automatically reconnect the statistics to the new path's.

Erland... are the Musicbrainz tags the same as the MusicIP fingerprint tags written during track analysis (if you set it up that way)? If not, can you use these as you currently use the Musicbrainz tags?
Just curious...
Thanks!

erland
2008-10-27, 20:38
Erland... are the Musicbrainz tags the same as the MusicIP fingerprint tags written during track analysis (if you set it up that way)? If not, can you use these as you currently use the Musicbrainz tags?
Just curious...
Thanks!

No they are not the same and I can't use MusicIP fingerprints because SqueezeCenter doesn't support them. To make it work it needs to be something that standard SqueezeCenter scanner already scans and puts in the database and this is not the case with MusicIP fingerprints.

In theory MusicIP fingerprints would probably work pretty good but not completely correct. You will get in trouble if a song is available on two albums, for example on the original album and also on a compilation album. In that case the MusicIP fingerprint will be the same but they will have different musicbrainz tags. If you just think about ratings, I suppose MusicIP fingerprints is really correct, since it's the same song, but for other purposes it will give the wrong result.

Yannzola
2008-10-27, 23:53
No they are not the same and I can't use MusicIP fingerprints because SqueezeCenter doesn't support them. To make it work it needs to be something that standard SqueezeCenter scanner already scans and puts in the database and this is not the case with MusicIP fingerprints.

Got it. Thanks!