PDA

View Full Version : Wifi sensitivity of Squuzebox 3

drot2000
2008-10-03, 07:56
My question is why the Wifi sensitivity of the SB 3 is inferior to other Wireless Internet products. My notebook computer and IPAQ 2495 are both able to stream audio more smoothly under the same Wifi conditions (which leaves the SB3 screen dark for 50% of the time). Netstumbler shows signal strength at -70dbm and SNR at 36. When SNR goes to 25 then SB3 goes dark. Other wireless streamers are pushing on flawlessly.

tedfroop
2008-10-03, 10:29
The antenna in the Classic (SB3) could be better. Most of what I have found is that it seems to be fairly directional, the orientation of the SB and router to each other make a difference.

An improved antenna on the wireless router can help. Most manufacturers use the little stubby rubber antennas where the element is just a piece of speaker wire stuck inside. If you are frugal you could go to:
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html and build a reflector add on to try.

Changing the orientation/placement of the access point and or Squeezebox can help as well. Having the wireless router above (higher on the wall, on top of a bookcase) improves reception. If possible placing the router in line of sight with the SB can help as well.
If that doesn't work wiring it may be the only choice. There is an option here as well, PowerLine networking can work if running wire isn't an option.

Nonreality
2008-10-03, 21:47
My question is why the Wifi sensitivity of the SB 3 is inferior to other Wireless Internet products. My notebook computer and IPAQ 2495 are both able to stream audio more smoothly under the same Wifi conditions (which leaves the SB3 screen dark for 50% of the time). Netstumbler shows signal strength at -70dbm and SNR at 36. When SNR goes to 25 then SB3 goes dark. Other wireless streamers are pushing on flawlessly.I've had no trouble with mine. It's quicker than my laptop in getting the signal. But it's a short distance with both so it may vary with your setup.

Black Pearl
2008-10-04, 01:14
I had a similar problem with mine getting a signal strength of less than 20%. I got a Wireless N router for the house as both my laptops have N cards in them and I now get a 60%+ signal. I know the SB3 is not a N device but the router is pushing a much stronger signal out.