PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Controller static IP. How?

Anry
2008-10-01, 00:50
Thanks Slimdevices team for the great product!

I need to assign static IP address to Squeezebox Controller. Reasons:
1. I'm not running DHCP server in my network
2. SBC will wake up from sleep faster since it doesn't have to obtain DHCP address. In fact 6 seconds faster in my setup.
3. it may help to eliminate SBC GUI freeze of wheel unresponsiveness when navigating through menus and suddenly it is time to renew DHCP lease.
4. it is easier to track devices with static IPs
5. I just want to know if it is possible to do this

I enabled SSH on SBC, SSHed in and looked around. It looks like I just need to modify two files. In /etc/network/interfaces I need to replace

iface myssid inet dhcp
script /etc/network/udhcpc_action

with

iface myssid inet static
address <static IP address>
network <network address>
netmask <network mask>
gateway <default gateway IP address>
script /etc/network/udhcpc_action

And I need to put DNS server IP address into /etc/resolv.conf

Is this right approach to achieve what I need?
How to stop DHCP client since we don't need it anymore?
Will these setting be preserved through SBC firmware upgrade?
If everything goes sour would SBC factory reset restore these files?

I would appreciate Slimdevices folks response or anyone who is familiar with Busybox setup.
I saw lots of posts here asking about how to assign static IP to SBC but no real solution yet.
Thank you for SSH access!

Anry

SuperQ
2008-10-01, 10:07
Uhh, you don't need to do anything like that. Static IP assignment is built into the UI of the Controller.

See page 34 of the user manual:

http://www.slimdevices.com/documentation/WEB_Duet_User_Guide_EN.pdf

How do I use Static IP addresses with Squeezebox Duet?

If you have set up your network to use static IP addresses, your Squeezebox
Controller will display the message Address Problem There was a problem
obtaining a DHCP address on your network. Scroll down to Use a static
address and press the center button. On the following screens you can
enter the IP address, subnet mask, gateway address, and DNS server address
information for your network.

Anry
2008-10-01, 10:33
Uhh, you don't need to do anything like that. Static IP assignment is built into the UI of the Controller.

RTFM before brute force :-) My Controller came with quick start guide only - purchased it separate from Receiver. Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try.

Actually I wasn't very accurate with my statement N 1. I do run DHCP server on my network but it is only for laptops, iPhones, iPods etc.
I'll try to shut down DHCP server and assign static IP to the Controller.
Only question will it stick to assigned static IP after it sees DHCP server is up again or it will try to negotiate DHCP lease?

pfarrell
2008-10-01, 10:39
Anry wrote:
> Actually I wasn't very accurate with my statement N 1. I do run DHCP
> server on my network but it is only for laptops, iPhones, iPods etc.
> I'll try to shut down DHCP server and assign static IP to the
> Controller.

Why not have your DHCP server issue a fixed address using the MAC of the
Controller and Reviever? That's what I do. Lets the network work as plug
and play, but lets me assign things, add bind/named, etc.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

androidtopp
2008-10-01, 10:52
Agreed - DHCP reservations like Pat is recommending are far more graceful (IMHO) than static IPs. You can control everything from one place (your DHCP server) which usually has a better user interface that all the devices you're trying to configure. As an IT guy, here I'm thinking specifically of printers. But really, everything that's not a computer.

Anry
2008-10-01, 11:01
Why not have your DHCP server issue a fixed address using the MAC of the
Controller and Reviever? That's what I do. Lets the network work as plug
and play, but lets me assign things, add bind/named, etc.

I knew this question is coming :-)
This is just my old network engineering and security way of thinking - less protocols on the network is better unless it is absolutely necessary. Less processes (DHCP client) running on Controller is better.
But really I want to test assumption 2 and 3 from my original post.

bklaas
2008-10-01, 12:18
I'm fairly certain that your DHCP server will have to be shut down while you set it up for static IP. After that, your controller (barring factory reset) will not try to use DHCP if it's configured for static IP.

Assumption #2, quicker wakeup from sleep, should be correct. Xclnt idea at optimizing that...I know that wakeup time is a nit for a lot of people (I get around it by always cradling mine).

Assumption #3 I don't believe holds a lot of water, unless you have things configured so DHCP leases expire really frequently, which I wouldn't recommend anyway.

cheers,
#!/ben

Anry
2008-10-01, 19:44
Ok. Shut down DHCP, did factory reset, assigned static IP address.
It definitely wakes up faster from the sleep.
Looked into /etc/network/interfaces and that is what in there:
iface myssid inet static
address 10.0.0.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.0.0.1
dns 10.0.0.1
up echo 'nameserver 10.0.0.1' > /etc/resolv.conf

And DHCP client isn't running anymore - more CPU resources to the wheel and screen.
I'm satisfied!

Thanks everybody for help.

Kim.T
2008-10-01, 23:31
My too ! I also want a static IP for my controller !!!
I don't have access to my router - locked by my ISP. PLEASE give us a solution for bug report 7502 !!!

upstatemike
2008-10-04, 11:52

I'm looking at the directions on page 34 but I am still confused. Does this change the address of the receiver or the controller? (I need static IPs for both)I am also not clear why DHCP has to fail in order to get this menu option... Is there some reason it is not always available in the menu?

Edit:
This is even harder than I thought it would be. The directions on page 34 are not correct... instead of an option to set a static IP I just got an option to skip the step when it couldn't get a DHCP address. I tried many combinations of Receiver resets and DHCP server enabled/disbled. At this point I not only do not have a static IP address but now my SB receiver has two different names. It is "Living Room" in the list of players but in the control menus it is referred to as "Squeezebox 2" as in "Turn Squeezebox 2 On" etc. No amount of resetting or working through the controller menus or Squeezecenter menus seems able to fix this.

I like the controller but the receiver is not a pleasant thing to work with. Is there some additional troubleshooting documentation someplace?

JJZolx
2008-10-04, 19:23
I'm fairly certain that your DHCP server will have to be shut down while you set it up for static IP.

That's rather awkward. You have to make it fail? Why not also have an option somewhere to let you punch in the address?

upstatemike
2008-10-06, 10:26
That's rather awkward. You have to make it fail? Why not also have an option somewhere to let you punch in the address?

I am also curious why there isn't a simple menu entry for setting static IP addresses for the controller and receiver. Is this something that is planned for a future release? Or is there some technical reason why it was omitted?

bhaagensen
2008-10-06, 15:21
If you want you can vote, but not spam, for:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7502

Mnyb
2008-10-06, 16:58
I am also curious why there isn't a simple menu entry for setting static IP addresses for the controller and receiver. Is this something that is planned for a future release? Or is there some technical reason why it was omitted?

Word, I voted for the bug http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7502.
I used net udap the get my Reciever a fixed IP adress.
The Controller i Managed to give fixed IP via the menus.
I very intressting Q I would like to know the Answer to is:
What will happen if I turn on my DHCP server ? will it trash my Reciever settings ?

The Net-UDAP is to be replaced by some official tool ? But it's taking it's sweet time to get there.

robgregson
2009-03-09, 17:01
Hi Mynb.

You say you managed to set up a static IP address for the receiver using the menus. Could you possibly tell me how?

Thanks in anticipation!

Mnyb
2009-03-09, 22:12
Hi Mynb.

You say you managed to set up a static IP address for the receiver using the menus. Could you possibly tell me how?

Thanks in anticipation!

No i used Robin bowes net-udap tool, sorry
For the controller it was possibel if there was no dhcp around.