PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Duration vs. Actual File Size

TortugaRanger
2008-09-30, 09:10
I recently recorded a music stream off the internet. The resulting MP3 file was around 8 MB. It sounds great when I play it back thru Winamp. But oddly enough, the time Duration stamp on the file says it's only 2 seconds long....wrong of course...it's ~4 minutes in reality. Turns out that SqueezeCenter believes it's only 2 seconds long and thus quits playing the tune after 2 seconds. Is this deliberate? Is there a workaround? What would happen if the duration stamp said 2 minutes on a 1 minute song....would it play it twice?

snarlydwarf
2008-09-30, 11:07
I recently recorded a music stream off the internet. The resulting MP3 file was around 8 MB. It sounds great when I play it back thru Winamp. But oddly enough, the time Duration stamp on the file says it's only 2 seconds long....wrong of course...it's ~4 minutes in reality. Turns out that SqueezeCenter believes it's only 2 seconds long and thus quits playing the tune after 2 seconds. Is this deliberate? Is there a workaround? What would happen if the duration stamp said 2 minutes on a 1 minute song....would it play it twice?

SC uses the duration to know when to start the next track (or quit playing if a single track). It pretty much has to unless it decodes the file itself since the data is compressed and possibly with variable bitrates, that would be the only way to determine the length.

So, a 2 minute duration stamp and a 1 minute file, it would play for 1 minute and then... play silence. (Ie, not send a 'Stop' to the player, and not start another track.) After another minute it would decide the song was done and stop.

There are tools around to fix this, though I can't recall what they are.. I had to use one at one point to fix an old rip (from a cd that has since started disintegrating) that had wrong variable bitrate headers from an old version of LAME.

Google for something like 'mp3 header fix' probably.