PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Failed - Fallback Failed - No Internal Alarm Tone

elziko
2008-09-29, 05:30
My alarm didn't go off this morning. The alarm icon did start flashing but no sound was heard. I then tried to play back the track that I was using for my alarm and it played back just fine.

I have attached the significant part of the log - I thought if the worst came to the worst then the SBB would sound an internal Alarm tone. I suppose I better use my old alarm clock until i find out whats going on.

Any ideas?

max.spicer
2008-09-29, 11:55
My alarm didn't go off this morning. The alarm icon did start flashing but no sound was heard. I then tried to play back the track that I was using for my alarm and it played back just fine.

I have attached the significant part of the log - I thought if the worst came to the worst then the SBB would sound an internal Alarm tone. I suppose I better use my old alarm clock until i find out whats going on.

Any ideas?

Don't know what's happened there. The alarm tried to play music when it went off, but that failed. 20 seconds later, the alarm checked to make sure something was playing. It found nothing was, so tried to fallback to 10 random tracks. Unfortunately this failed too. At this point, it couldn't do anything else. In this situation, the alarm will not fall back to an internal tone. It probably should do - I'll raise that.

Please raise this with support - it needs further investigation.

Max

Howard Passman
2008-09-29, 12:24
Don't know what's happened there. The alarm tried to play music when it went off, but that failed. 20 seconds later, the alarm checked to make sure something was playing. It found nothing was, so tried to fallback to 10 random tracks. Unfortunately this failed too. At this point, it couldn't do anything else. In this situation, the alarm will not fall back to an internal tone. It probably should do - I'll raise that.

Max

Here's what the manual says.

"If you’ve selected an online source for your alarm (such as your favorite Internet radio station) and your Boom loses its connection to the Internet for any reason, your Boom will automatically substitute a pleasing (but effective) alarm tone to help ensure that you wake up on time."

I take that to mean that the fall back tone only works if you are using an on-line source as your alarm music.

They should make it use the fall back sound even if it can't see a network connection. What if your server has shut down for updates, etc.?

Howard

max.spicer
2008-09-29, 13:17
Here's what the manual says.

"If you’ve selected an online source for your alarm (such as your favorite Internet radio station) and your Boom loses its connection to the Internet for any reason, your Boom will automatically substitute a pleasing (but effective) alarm tone to help ensure that you wake up on time."

I take that to mean that the fall back tone only works if you are using an on-line source as your alarm music.

They should make it use the fall back sound even if it can't see a network connection. What if your server has shut down for updates, etc.?

Howard

The manual is wrong. Please see the FAQ on this - it's been covered in some detail.

Max

peterw
2008-09-29, 14:24

Max

I thought I saw a hint of that a while back when working on KitchenTimer. In my test lib is a WMA file that SoftSqueeze on Linux can't play. Looking at _playFallback() after seeing it grab that as the first of 10 random tracks, it occurred to me that Alarm.pm might be a little too simple and laid back. I didn't test to see what happens if I queued up a playlist of one unplayable track before 9 good ones, but it seemed at least theoretically possible for a situation like the user's first choice being an unplayable internet stream, _playFalllback() choosing 10 unplayable tracks 20 seconds later (WMA on a SB1? FLAC to a player with poor wifi coverage?), and the result being no noise at all. I didn't post or raise a bug b/c I didn't want to bother you, and I was too lazy to do more testing and open a bug with the kind of detail I like to provide.

Ideally, I think Alarm.pm would do stuff like identify "unplayable" tracks and not try them, run checkPlaying more often if the user hasn't taken some action like Stop or Power Off that's canceled the alarm, and be sure to pick 10 new random tracks if checkPlaying sees that the last random bunch failed. FWIW, KitchenTimer (which no longer uses or subclasses Alarm.pm) keeps checking the playback status until the user explicitly clears the alarm, or a "minimum alarm duration" (90 minutes by default? 120? I forget) has elapsed.

max.spicer
2008-09-29, 14:34
Ideally, I think Alarm.pm would do stuff like identify "unplayable" tracks and not try them, run checkPlaying more often if the user hasn't taken some action like Stop or Power Off that's canceled the alarm, and be sure to pick 10 new random tracks if checkPlaying sees that the last random bunch failed. FWIW, KitchenTimer (which no longer uses or subclasses Alarm.pm) keeps checking the playback status until the user explicitly clears the alarm, or a "minimum alarm duration" (90 minutes by default? 120? I forget) has elapsed.

I don't think it should be up to the alarm to identify unplayable tracks. I always wanted to be able to fall back to an internal alarm tone but that functionality is not yet available.

Max

peterw
2008-09-29, 14:41
I don't think it should be up to the alarm to identify unplayable tracks. I always wanted to be able to fall back to an internal alarm tone but that functionality is not yet available.

Might be nice if some code, somewhere, could make such a determination. What happens if you use Random Song Mix on a group of synced players of different capabilities? But, yeah, not really an alarm issue.

Is the tone not really possible? In the Boom forum, Caleb said he thought simple Beep Beep might be possible now (on Boom, anyway) without any DSP or firmware changes.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51702

-Peter

max.spicer
2008-09-30, 01:39
Is the tone not really possible? In the Boom forum, Caleb said he thought simple Beep Beep might be possible now (on Boom, anyway) without any DSP or firmware changes.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=51702

I'm trying to find this out at the moment. If anyone knows how to trigger the built in alarm command from SqueezeCenter code, please tell me.

Max

MrDeathStar
2008-10-01, 11:02
For the first time my alarm did not make noise today. I awoke about five minutes after the scheduled alarm time to find that the alarm was in fact active (icon flashing, smaller date/time info, etc.) but no sound. I thought it was a volume issue, but increasing the volume did not make a difference.

When I pressed the remote Home/Now Playing button, the alarm sound began emitting. Also, instead of the usual sound text 'Crystalize' it showed the full 'loop://...url...' as the name. I am connected to my squeezecenter server, not squeezenetwork (but it appears that the source of the sounds/effects come from the network?) Maybe a network problem or a problem with fallback?

I don't know if it is related, but the last few things I did the night before included selecting the Line-In option to see if there are any settings (it showed active, but I don't have anything connect to the jack). I also attempted to enable the Auto Dim display plug-in, and I did turn off alarms set for a downstairs SB3.

Any suggestions (log files, etc.) to explore to help diagnose this issue? Thanks ahead for any replies.
- Victor

elziko
2008-10-01, 13:13
I have no specific suggestions but I would suggest that people turn on logging for alarms now before they have any problems - otherwise when the alarm fails you'll have no info to pass on to support.

I have passed my log on to support on Monday and they still haven't replied. I would have thought that alarm failures would be a priority for them.

Regis
2008-10-02, 00:52
Hi, for the second time since I bought the box, this morning, I woke up not thanks to my squeezbox boom but to my inner clock, 10 minutes after alarm was supposed to run, only to find the squeezebox stuck displaying something like "Connecting to squeezenetwork".

Anyone has the same ? this sucks bad ...

elziko
2008-10-02, 01:28
Hi, for the second time since I bought the box, this morning, I woke up not thanks to my squeezbox boom but to my inner clock, 10 minutes after alarm was supposed to run, only to find the squeezebox stuck displaying something like "Connecting to squeezenetwork".

Anyone has the same ? this sucks bad ...

Did you enable logging for alarms? Send the log to support. If you haven't yet enabled logging then open the settings web interface, click the Advanced tab and then select Logging from the drop down. Set player.alarmclock = 'Debug'.

fcm4711
2008-10-02, 09:13
Regis: Did you set the alarm in SN or SC? What was the alarm volume set to? Maybe it was too low so you couldn't hear the backup tone?

MrDeathStar
2008-10-02, 11:40
elziko: thanks for the instruction on how to enable alarm logging.

fcm4711: I am using SC...is there an easy way to play the backup tone? My alarm volume was set to about 25% which worked well for the alarm sound, but I too did not hear a backup tone.

I have supreme confidence in the Slim Devices team and that they will be able to fix a trouble if one exists. I just want to help provide useful data.

fcm4711
2008-10-03, 15:36
Hi MrDeathStar

Yes, it's quite easy to test. Connect your Boom to the network and SC and set an alarm in the near future (just a few minutes). You should see the little bell sign next to the clock, indicating that there is an alarm set. (I suggest you change the date / time setting to show hour, minutes and seconds so you can see when Boom switches into backup mode more easily as the backup clock only shows hours and minutes.)

Now stop SC. Boom should (after about 10 seconds) realize that SC is gone and switch into backup mode showing the backup clock. You should also see the little alarm sign. When the alarm time is reached the backup alarm tone sounds and the little bell sign also starts to flash.

The backup alarm only sounds if Boom is _not_ connected to SC / SN when the alarm is due. So if Boom is connected to SC when the alarm is due, but the alarm radio station is not available, then this would not trigger the backup alarm tone. There are other measures within SC trying to cope with such situations.

Felix

P.S. The backup alarm tone is a five tone sequence.

MrDeathStar
2008-10-05, 10:28
Felix: Thanks for the instructions...I will give the backup alarm test a try!

elziko
2008-11-10, 03:02
After contacting support they told be to upgrade to 7.2.1 since this may fix the problem. Unfortunately this morning it happened again.

Now, I did happen to delete some tracks to replace them with higher quality rips and the slight difference in filenames meant that my alarm track no longer existed. So I understand why SC couldn't play the track.

I have attached a log showing the problem. If anyone thinks I'm seeing a different problem, let me know!

elziko
2008-11-10, 03:09
Looking at the log a little closer it does look like it attempted to use a fallback alarm:

[08-11-10 07:20:22.2970] Slim::Utils::Alarm::_playFallback (1058) Starting fallback alarm: loop://192.168.1.3:9000/html/slim-backup-alarm.mp3
[08-11-10 07:20:24.1581] Slim::Utils::Alarm::_playFallback (1064) Fading volume
[08-11-10 07:20:24.3328] Slim::Player::Source::errorOpening (1756) Error: While opening current track, so mark it as already played!
[08-11-10 07:20:24.3676] Slim::Player::Source::errorOpening (1756) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/<C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.exe>Slim/Player/Source.pm line 1756)
frame 1: Slim::Player::Source::errorOpening (/<C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.exe>Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm line 646)
frame 2: Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::failedDirectStream (/<C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.exe>Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm line 378)
frame 3: Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::directHeaders (/<C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.exe>Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 571)
frame 4: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::_http_response_handle r (/<C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.exe>Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 421)
frame 5: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::client_readable (/<C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.exe>Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 248)
frame 6: (eval) (/<C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.exe>Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 248)
frame 7: Slim::Networking::IO::Select::select (slimserver.pl line 531)
frame 8: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 45)
frame 9: PerlSvc::Startup (/<C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\server\squeezecenter.exe>PerlSvc.pm line 95)
frame 10: PerlSvc::_startup (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 11: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

[08-11-10 07:50:02.4059] Slim::Utils::Alarm::_timeout (1075) Alarm acc6a5d0 ending automatically due to timeout

But then it failed to play that too! But why didn't the SBB then use the internal tone generator?

bphilp
2008-11-10, 04:56
It would seem Squeezecenter sometimes forgets to startup... see:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=54628

elziko
2008-11-10, 05:02
It would seem Squeezecenter sometimes forgets to startup... see:

Thanks for the suggestion but this is definitely a different issue. If SC wasn't started then how did it manage to log the failure of my alarm!? ;-)

ModelCitizen
2008-11-13, 01:35
Rather than start another alarm thread in another forum I'll report here.

My server disk filled up last night whilst SlimCenter was doing a scan. The result of this was that I was left with a 669mb SlimCenter.log.0 logfile an inoperable SlimCenter and a web interface that looked like the software was still trying to scan (but a call up of the Settings page that gave a page not found error).

My Boom alarm did not go of at all. No backup alarm, nothing

I am running the most recent 7.3 beta
Version: 7.3 - 23911 @ Wed Nov 12 07:20:55 PST 2008

MC