PDA

View Full Version : Issue with controller : special characters (chinese)

Chinanico
2008-09-29, 03:56
Hi, I have a brand new controller + receiver (duet). So far I had and SB3, and it was displaying properly the Chinese names of the artists/titles for my Asian music (ripped in FLAC). Squeezecenter also displays properly (I upgraded to 7.2). But on the controller screen, the Chinese characters don't appear (just empty boxes). And worse than that, I just realized it doesn't play the tracks either...

What do I need to parameter to have the controller work properly ?

Thanks in advance

mherger
2008-09-29, 04:05
> What do I need to parameter to have the controller work properly ?

We officially don't support Chinese. The font we're using on the Controller doesn't feature CMJK characters. But if you search the forums, you'll find a workaround by using a different font from your computer.

--

Michael

Chinanico
2008-09-29, 09:47
Thanks Michael,

I don't want to be too hard on you, because you apparently truly are of great help to this forum, and first I thank you for your answer.

I did the search (now with more success than before posting since you gave me the way to look) and I will try the fixes, even if I understand there is not really a fully satisfying solution nor a step by step tutorial.

Now as far as the feature set of the duet is concerned, this is extremely disappointing to see that support for CMJK was lost from SB3, one wouldn't expect this to happen, and it makes my investment almost worthless...

I saw that on February 25th you commented on this subject with "We plan on adding a better font to support Asian characters in the future.", on March 17th you replied to the question "When will the controller support Chinese" by "This I don't know", and yesterday you stated "We officially don't support Chinese"... that stepping back doesn't seem to me to go in the right direction to take care of the customer... I am not Chinese, but as many people on top of the 1.6 billion potential customers from China, I want to be able to have access to their culture and language.

mherger
2008-09-29, 10:02
Chinanico,

> I saw that on February 25th you commented on this subject with "We plan
> on adding a better font to support Asian characters in the future.", on
> March 17th you replied to the question "When will the controller
> support Chinese" by "This I don't know", and yesterday you stated "We
> officially don't support Chinese"... that stepping back doesn't seem to

Please don't weigh my wording: I'm neither a marketing guy, nor of English mother tongue. I often just type :-). The current state is still the same: we want to support CMJK on the Controller, but don't have a date yet. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,

--

Michael

mherger
2008-09-29, 23:23
> Even now when the Chinese character are displayed, the receiver
> wouldn't play the tracks (either launched from the controller or the
> squeeze center. I also realized it is true for some other (non Asian)
> music, couldn't find a pattern for sure, but it seems those are files
> with other special characters accentuated like "" (a French thing) in
> the album or title.

This sounds like a bug. We'd need some more information about your system
to understand what's going on here: operating system, locale settings (can
be found in Settings/Status on the web UI), and probably a scanner.log and
server.log. Please enable debugging for scan.* and player.source
(Settings/Advanced/Logging), then try to play one of the tracks which
wouldn't play. Then upload the files (link to be found on the
aforementioned status page) to this thread.

> I don't have my SB3 with me at the moment so can't try it, but never
> had those issues before, I just upgraded to squeezecenter 7.2, it
> wouldn't be related with the controller I assume.

I'd assume it's a SC issue, thus the same on SB3.

Michael