PDA

View Full Version : Battery life ?

Leplus
2008-09-29, 01:03
Hello,

I'm using the squeezebox duet, but if find the battery life very short. After about 5 hours out of the cradle, and only using it a few times for changing a radio or the volume, it's already showing red icon for battery life. And after 8 or 9 hours I found the controller was shutdown and showing a battery alert when restarting it.

Is it a normal behavior or the controller is supposed to always stay in the cradle ? I normaly leave the remote in the cradle, but i was suprised to see the short battery life when I tried not to use it.

Some informations about my configuration :

I use bridged mode. (The squeezebox controller is connected with ethernet and the squeezebox controller is connected to the Squeezebox receiver )

Controller version is 7.2 r2873
SqueezeCenter version is 7.2 - 22900

Controller settings are :

Sleep Timeout 10
Suspend timeout 3600
Suspend enabled enabled
Suspend wake enabled
Wireless power save enabled

Leplus
2008-09-29, 06:42
I've just done another test, and after 6 hours the controller was already off and saying "battery low, please charge me" on startup.

Is this normal ?

SuperQ
2008-09-29, 10:26
It should last a bit longer than that. I've left mine out of the cradle for a day or two. I generally leave it in the cradle when I'm not using it to make sure it is charged.

Does it wake up often? If you have the screensaver set to a long timeout, and move it around a bit it will wake up. This could drain the battery faster than usual.

Leplus
2008-09-29, 12:21
Does it wake up often?

Everytime i've tried to left the controller out of the cradle.

The screensaver delay is set to 10 seconds. Do i have to change something ?

sprutzle
2008-09-30, 09:02
This seems to be a bug or a not implemented power saving feature. If i do not use the controller it lasts about 6 hours. This is way to short! My ipod touch with WLAN enabled lasts for days when not used (with better display/processor). So lets hope they fix that issue sometime or deliver some extra batteries for free ;)

regards
sprutzle

mvalera
2008-09-30, 11:11
You might have a bad battery... contact support:

http://slimdevices.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/slimdevices.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Mike

sprutzle
2008-09-30, 11:46
hi mvalera,

thank you for your answer. So are there any average standby times that you think of as normal for the duet controller? I can't find it in the manual. Are there powersaving features beyond switching of the display after a period of time?

regards
sprutzle

epoch1970
2008-09-30, 14:32
I have 5-6 hrs of battery life for the Controller out of its cradle as well, using bridged mode.
Power management settings are standard.
That is too short IMHO, but was confirmed as average by Slimdevice's support.

Are the best performers around here using another wireless mode ? Or do I have a bad battey, after all ??

Anoop M.
2008-09-30, 15:18
Does this help?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeOS_Internals

Anoop M.
2008-09-30, 18:19
in Bridged mode battery life is substantially less than a standard wireless mode. I would say you should see double the performance of the battery using a wireless router.

Leplus
2008-10-01, 01:07
in Bridged mode battery life is substantially less than a standard wireless mode. I would say you should see double the performance of the battery using a wireless router.
Thank you for this information. So, i'll test the controller with a router before contacting support.

epoch1970
2008-10-01, 04:08
I didn't realize that my Controller is probably not going into Suspend state. Forget it on the couch at night, and pay the penalty he next day.
Mmh. I'll try tweaking this once other issues have been ironed out. Thanks again.

Ben Sandee
2008-10-01, 04:59
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:08 AM, epoch1970 <
epoch1970.3glmqn1222859401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I didn't realize that my Controller is probably not going into Suspend
> state. Forget it on the couch at night, and pay the penalty he next
> day.
> Mmh. I'll try tweaking this once other issues have been ironed out.
> Thanks again.

This is a common problem that I've seen, particularly with people who have
had the Controller for awhile. I think some interim Controller updates may
have modified the power management settings in non-optimal ways. Maybe try
a factory reset to get back to the default values.

Ben

Anoop M.
2008-10-01, 15:53
Thank you for this information. So, i'll test the controller with a router before contacting support.

Thanks for stepping in, Anoop M.

You guys are most welcome.

MikeekiM
2008-10-01, 21:11
My SqueezeBox (and controller) is less than 30 days old...

I just took my controller out of the cradle and the battery only reads half charged... Actually it flips back and forth between 3/4 and half charged...

Do I have a battery problem? This doesn't seem like a satisfactory situation... My controller was in it's cradle for about 20 hours...

Any suggestions?

Edit: It *may* be that the controller didn't make contact with the charging cradle when I placed it there last night... I am going to give it another try and report back...

epoch1970
2008-10-02, 16:35
Since the Controller is a computer, maybe it has the same issues as laptops as to what 0% and 100% of battery really stand for. You could try charging the battery for a very long time, then completely depleting the battery, then charging it again completely.
A pure suggestion. My battery life is not so great, but the reading is accurate.

epoch1970
2008-10-02, 16:38
Maybe try a factory reset to get back to the default values.
Thanks for the tip.
But... my Duet hardly sees a week without a reset :D

Leplus
2008-10-06, 02:56
I checked battery life with a wireless router and it lasted more than 3 times longer (about 20 hours). What is the reason for such a difference ?

andynormancx
2008-10-06, 04:10
I believe the reason is something like this, when there is an access point the AP controls when each wifi device gets sent data to it. So the SBC can turn its wifi radio off in the periods it knows it won't be getting data (it will be switching itself on and off many, many times a second).

Without an AP data could arrive at any time, so the radio has to stay on all the time.

At least that is my rough understanding of wifi infrastructure mode vs ad hoc. I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got it all wrong...