PDA

View Full Version : Saved settings for a traveling Boom?

JJZolx
2008-09-28, 12:18
Say I open/forward the necessary ports in my firewall to let me connect remotely to my home SqueezeCenter. Will the same player settings be used for the same Boom no matter where I connect from? Will a remote Boom be identified by MAC address or by IP address? I was thinking about taking a Boom to a buddy's house, to a bar, etc. and don't want to have to configure the player (particularly bitrate limiting) every time.

funkstar
2008-09-28, 12:56
All players are identified by the MAC address.

You can see this when you re-boot your router (with DHCP enabled) and everything gets different IPs.

JJZolx
2008-09-28, 13:05
All players are identified by the MAC address.

You can see this when you re-boot your router (with DHCP enabled) and everything gets different IPs.

Yeah, but I didn't think it was necessarily the case for connections not on the local network. I just set it up to connect to the public IP address, mapped through the firewall, and it does look like the player is recognized and the settings are the same.

Problem now is that SqueezeCenter thinks it's streaming audio to the Boom, but I'm not getting any sound. I have both the SlimProto port and the HTTP port being forwarded at the firewall. It's bizarre that SlimProto doesn't appear to be robust enough for a player to tell the server that "Hey, we're getting no audio at this end". It's a fairly common to see reports of silence when the server thinks that it's playing music.

Skunk
2008-09-29, 05:27
I was thinking about taking a Boom to a buddy's house, to a bar, etc.

A guy walks into a bar with a boombox under his arm. The bartender says...

bebop
2008-11-20, 10:58
You can not use that one in here ! go to your own subnet.........

(Still can not use WOL from my Boom at my girlfriends house.....)

Logitech says that it only works on local subnets, can get it working if I first wake up the SC server with my PC, but how convinient is that ?

Regards