PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecentre sees my 901 albums as just two

Captain Groovy
2008-09-27, 21:48
It took a long time for Squeezecentre to import my music collection, but once it did it sees all of my music as being 13,460 songs comprising two albums (no album" and "unknown album") by two artists ("no artist" and "unknown artist").

I've cleared the library and rescanned, but this hasn't improved anything.

How can I get Squeezecentre to see all albums?

Running Mac OSX10.4, music all on an external drive, imported via iTunes and saved as AIFF files.

Thanks!

pfarrell
2008-09-27, 22:11
Captain Groovy wrote:
> It took a long time for Squeezecentre to import my music collection, but
> once it did it sees all of my music as being 13,460 songs comprising two
> albums (no album" and "unknown album") by two artists ("no artist" and
> "unknown artist").

Your tags are bad.
SqueezeCenter uses the tags on the files, not the file directory.
Over in the ripping forum, there are lots of discussions about tagging
programs, tagging problems, fixes, etc.

Nonreality
2008-09-28, 01:51
It took a long time for Squeezecentre to import my music collection, but once it did it sees all of my music as being 13,460 songs comprising two albums (no album" and "unknown album") by two artists ("no artist" and "unknown artist").

I've cleared the library and rescanned, but this hasn't improved anything.

How can I get Squeezecentre to see all albums?

Running Mac OSX10.4, music all on an external drive, imported via iTunes and saved as AIFF files.

Thanks!
As Pfarrell has said it's your tags. Get mp3tag or maybe load your library into mediamonkey and take a look on how you have things set up. Itunes can tag things weird so you need to take a look and change them to a more acceptable system. Unless SC is messing up but my guess it's your tags. Sorry just noticed you are running a mac. Not sure what to tell you but you need to look at the tags and see if they are messed up.

funkstar
2008-09-28, 06:54

pfarrell and Nonreality are right, it is a meta data (or tag) problem.

However, the root of the issue is that you are saving the files as AIFF, which if they are anything like wav files don't, as standard, have any provision for meta data. There are ways to add this data to WAV files, and there probably is for AIFF too, but at the end of the day, you are much better saving your music in a format that natively supports tagging.

AppleLossless or FLAC are the two most popular, with FLAC having destinct advantages over any other lossless format. Although, on a Mac, AppleLossless might be easier, especially if you are using iTunes to manage your library.

Siduhe
2008-09-28, 09:37
Not sure anyone has mentioned that there is also a "Guess Tags" option in Squeezecenter settings. If your music directory has a particular structure and all the files are named appropriately, it can populate your library from the file names and directory structure. May give you some basic functionality (although no substitute for proper tags IMHO).