PDA

View Full Version : BBC radio stations showing what song is playing.

jibbsy
2008-09-27, 08:47
Does anyone know if and when the BBC are going to start broadcasting what song is playing? (like they do on DAB)

Thanks

Jibbsy

James Cridland
2008-09-29, 02:45
Hi, we're planning to add now-playing information within the iPlayer, for both live and on-demand listening.

We are not allowed to include now-playing information within our streams following a request from the record companies.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-29, 05:12
We are not allowed to include now-playing information within our streams following a request from the record companies.

Huh. Why would they not want the BBC to include it? And why's it OK for DAB but not internet streams?

MC

funkstar
2008-09-29, 06:24
Huh. Why would they not want the BBC to include it? And why's it OK for DAB but not internet streams?

MC
I believe it is also included in the digital TV streams on Sky and Freeview.

toby10
2008-09-29, 06:48
Hi, we're planning to add now-playing information within the iPlayer, for both live and on-demand listening.

Yes, the record co's sure wouldn't want us Internet Radio listeners to learn about new artists, releases, songs, albums, etc.. Why that's just crazy to think we might want to buy that song (DL or buy a CD) of the currently playing artist! Another bonehead move by the record co's.

jibbsy
2008-09-29, 08:36
Thanks for your reply James but I too am surprised by your answer.

Why can you do it on Dab and soon on Iplayer but not on the Internet Streams?

Many other radio stations provide this information and i am really starting to miss it having listened to Dab over the last couple of years.

Jibbsy