PDA

View Full Version : Line In

Philip Meyer
2008-09-26, 18:18
I've never used Line In before on my Boom.

I'm wondering how easy it will be for someone else to simply walk up to my Boom with an mp3 player (probably my wife with an iPod) and play from that source. I need to find a 3.5mm male-to-male connector. Some questions first:

1. The line-in socket is awkward to access, so can I leave a cable permanently plugged in (i.e. is it auto-sensing in any way)?

2. I can't see any menu option to play from the line-in source, unlike my Transporter which has a plugin that provides access to the various digital inputs. Am I right in thinking that actually it mixes the line-in sound with whatever is played via SqueezeCenter/SqueezeNetwork?

3. I see some line-in options in the PlayerUI settings menu. "Line-in always on" - if this is off, will it never play line in (comes back to question 1 about auto-sensing).

4. "Line-in level" - is this just to control the overall volume to achieve a similar volume level to SqueezeCenter music playback. i.e. if I set to 100% and leave it so that the master volume is used to obtain a comfortable listening volume, am I going to get distortion or blow any circuitry if I play an iPod source back at 100%?

Phil

mherger
2008-09-29, 00:05
> 1. The line-in socket is awkward to access, so can I leave a cable
> permanently plugged in (i.e. is it auto-sensing in any way)?

Yes, there is. But as it's a mechanical sensing, it won't recognize
unplugging the device, unless you unplug the cable from Boom's back.

> 2. I can't see any menu option to play from the line-in source, unlike
> my Transporter which has a plugin that provides access to the various
> digital inputs. Am I right in thinking that actually it mixes the
> line-in sound with whatever is played via SqueezeCenter/SqueezeNetwork?

As soon as you plug something in you should see the menu option.

> 3. I see some line-in options in the PlayerUI settings menu. "Line-in
> always on" - if this is off, will it never play line in (comes back to
> question 1 about auto-sensing).

Always on: aka "Karaoke mode". You can mix Line In with whatever Boom is
playing.

Normally it will be either or: either Line In is played back, or Boom's
playlist.

Michael

BastiaanR
2009-01-06, 07:55
> 3. I see some line-in options in the PlayerUI settings menu. "Line-in
> always on" - if this is off, will it never play line in (comes back to
> question 1 about auto-sensing).

Always on: aka "Karaoke mode". You can mix Line In with whatever Boom is
playing.

Normally it will be either or: either Line In is played back, or Boom's
playlist.

Michael

Does this mean that, when you connect your PC to the Line-in of the Boom you will ALWAYS get a mix of whatever the Boom is playing and whatever sound is coming from the PC?

Is there a way to make the Boom behave as follows: when cable is not plugged into Line-In on the Boom, the Boom can just play its own thing. When the cable from the PC is plugged in, then it ONLY produces the sound coming from the PC (it cuts off anything it is playing itself). Of course, when you unplug the cable, the SBB will then let you hear whatever it is playing itself.

mherger
2009-01-06, 08:11
> Is there a way to make the Boom behave as follows: when cable is not
> plugged into Line-In on the Boom, the Boom can just play its own thing.

That's the default behaviour.

--

Michael

BastiaanR
2009-01-06, 08:30
> Is there a way to make the Boom behave as follows: when cable is not
> plugged into Line-In on the Boom, the Boom can just play its own thing.

That's the default behaviour.

--

Michael

Ok.. that was a silly statement from me ;p (It sounded better in my head). Of course, when nothing is connected to the Boom it would play its own thing.

So, how do I make the Boom stop producing the sound from the music it is playing AND the sound it is receiving from the PC? When I connect the PC to the line-in, I only want to hear the PC.

mherger
2009-01-06, 08:43
> Ok.. how do I make the Boom stop producing the sound from the music it
> is playing AND the sound it is receiving from the PC? When I connect

You want to turn off Boom's sound _AND_ line in?

> the PC to the line-in, I only want to hear the PC.

...or only Boom?!? I'm confused.

By default Boom will stop its own playback and play whatever is on line in.

--

Michael

BastiaanR
2009-01-06, 09:06
> Ok.. how do I make the Boom stop producing the sound from the music it
> is playing AND the sound it is receiving from the PC? When I connect

You want to turn off Boom's sound _AND_ line in?

No, no. At the moment, when the PC is connected to the Boom, I hear the sound that is produced by the Boom and the sound produced by the PC, all coming from the Boom. What I would like is, when I connect the PC to the Boom, I _only_ want to hear the PC and not both. In other words, I want to stop the Boom from playing BOTH sources at the same time.

By default Boom will stop its own playback and play whatever is on line in.

So, If I understand correctly I probably need to disable the option, "Line-in always on". Where would I find this option?

JadeMonkee
2009-01-07, 22:59
Silly question time: Can't you just hit pause/stop on the Boom when the PC is plugged in.

radish
2009-01-08, 10:43
I have a Boom by the bed in my guest room. I have a short male-male lead plugged in to the line in and a tag on it saying "ipod". I've set the Boom line in to "always". Now guests can just plug in an ipod and play, or if they're more adventurous can play stuff through SC. Works fine.

dbinfl
2009-01-14, 17:12
Silly question time: Can't you just hit pause/stop on the Boom when the PC is plugged in.

So here's a variant on this discussion...
I recently got a a Boom and also want to use it as a PC Speaker on my 2nd PC. My use case is this:
Primarily i want to listen to music through SC (which is running on my primary PC) . If I'm playing something (e.g. Youtube) on the PC with the Boom and want to hear that instead of SC music, I want to be able to pause the music and listen to the PC-generated sound through line-in.

I've figured out that "Line In Always on = yes" is not what I want for this use case. But with "always on = no", what I have found is that:
- I'm listening to SC music.
- I select a PC audio source (Youtube).
- I pause the SC track.
- Toggle to Line-in to listen to the PC audio
- I switch back to my SC music to resume and, depending on the source:
--- selections from my library start over, instead of resuming from where they were paused.
--- selections from the services (e.g. Slacker) don't resume, I get a new track
--- Internet radio just keeps playing of course (can't be paused).

So the result is:
- A fair amount of manipulation of the controls (back, scroll, forward -- back, scroll forward) to switch sources back and forth.
- Not a seamless experience with my SC music (except for Internet radio).

Is there an easier way to do this, or is this as good as it gets? Ideally, Boom would only take input from line-in on an active playback (and pause SC), and would play from SC otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards,
~dbinfl~

radish
2009-01-17, 20:36
Sounds like an idea for a plugin :)

dbinfl
2009-01-19, 20:42
Sounds like an idea for a plugin :)

Yeah, that occurred to me. Or, just enhance the product functionality instead. That seems more appropriate to me. Right now this feature doesn't meet the WAF. Input selection on a HT receiver is more straightforward, so something closer to that would help here.
~dbinfl~

BastiaanR
2009-01-21, 02:46

Of course.

But I was interested to get the Boom to act according to (my) "expected behaviour".

An added bonus would be, as mentioned above, that the Boom would pause everything (as far as technologically possible).

007_checker
2009-01-26, 10:44
Dear folks,
I can't get my new boom to play the line-in signal. The menu item doesn't show up. In the forum, it is said it should come up automatically. The menu entry is not disabled in the settings (which I can access via web browser).
Any ideas?
Thx

Kay

dbinfl
2009-01-26, 18:28
Dear folks,
I can't get my new boom to play the line-in signal. The menu item doesn't show up. In the forum, it is said it should come up automatically. The menu entry is not disabled in the settings (which I can access via web browser).
Any ideas?
Thx

Kay
In the SC web interface, when you go to Settings/Players/Boom/Menus, there is a "Home Menu Customization" section listing active menu items, and an "Inactive menu items" section. Is Line-In listed in either section, or not at all?
~dbinfl~

007_checker
2009-01-27, 00:59
In the SC web interface, when you go to Settings/Players/Boom/Menus, there is a "Home Menu Customization" section listing active menu items, and an "Inactive menu items" section. Is Line-In listed in either section, or not at all?
~dbinfl~

Line-in is in the ACTIVATED section, between Favourites and Extras. But it's not showing up in the menu of the device.

Cheers, Kay.

dbinfl
2009-01-27, 16:59
Line-in is in the ACTIVATED section, between Favourites and Extras. But it's not showing up in the menu of the device.

Cheers, Kay.

Hmmm...
Well, I'm no expert, but what I would try (assuming you haven't already) is:
-- delete Line-in from Active menu items
-- recycle SqueezeCenter
-- power/off -- power/on Boom
-- add Line In back to Active menu
-- repeat recycling SC and Boom
...and see if that bad boy shows up.

Good luck.
Regards,
~dbinfl~

radish
2009-01-27, 19:36
Do you have something plugged in? My memory is that the option only appears if the internal switch has detected a plug.

chris.mason
2009-04-07, 08:26
I've never used Line In before on my Boom.

I'm wondering how easy it will be for someone else to simply walk up to my Boom with an mp3 player (probably my wife with an iPod) and play from that source. I need to find a 3.5mm male-to-male connector. Some questions first:

1. The line-in socket is awkward to access, so can I leave a cable permanently plugged in (i.e. is it auto-sensing in any way)?

2. I can't see any menu option to play from the line-in source, unlike my Transporter which has a plugin that provides access to the various digital inputs. Am I right in thinking that actually it mixes the line-in sound with whatever is played via SqueezeCenter/SqueezeNetwork?

3. I see some line-in options in the PlayerUI settings menu. "Line-in always on" - if this is off, will it never play line in (comes back to question 1 about auto-sensing).

4. "Line-in level" - is this just to control the overall volume to achieve a similar volume level to SqueezeCenter music playback. i.e. if I set to 100% and leave it so that the master volume is used to obtain a comfortable listening volume, am I going to get distortion or blow any circuitry if I play an iPod source back at 100%?

Phil

I just received my brand new Boom today...love the packaging.

I'm having problems with line-in. Firstly, when attaching a line-in device, the Boom doesn't auto-switch to it. Secondly, the line-in menu doesn't appear on the Boom's UI, even though it WAS listed on the available menu options in the SC Boom settings. I say WAS because I tried to remove then re-add it to make it work, but after I removed it, it is not available in the list of menu options in SC to add!

The only "line" options I can see to change are in the settings menu for the Boom (on the Boom UI), where I can "line-out" from Sub, Headphone, always on, always off - btw, whats the difference between these options?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Oh, I can get a line-in device to play if I completely disconnect from SC (or SN), then I can select line-in from the Boom UI.

fcm4711
2009-04-07, 08:58
Hi there

The 'Line In' option is also under 'Extras'. Have you checked in there.

However connecting the cable to the 'Line In' in the back of SBB should automatically switch to that input anyways.

Yes, you can use 'Line In' without SC running. Press and hold left/back to get into the setup and then choose 'Line In'.

Always also check the volume - it might be too low.

Phil: If you have a cable plugged in all the time, SBB cannot sense the signal automatically, therefore you need to manually select 'Line In'.

Felix

chris.mason
2009-04-07, 09:07
Nope...no "line in" option under extras...

Just for clarification:

SC Version: 7.3.3 - 25411 @ Mon Mar 9 03:21:08 PDT 2009
Platform Architecture: i686-linux
Perl Version: 5.10.0 - i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.67-0ubuntu6

Boom firmware : 45

As you say, I can listen to line-in, by holding "left" and disconnecting from SN/SC then picking line-in, but thats not the point...I would like the auto-connect option working, and would like to know where my "line-in" menu option has gone to...

mherger
2009-04-07, 09:59
> Nope...no "line in" option under extras...

Do you see the plugin in Settings/Plugins? Is it enabled? If yes, is it
removed from Settings/Player/Menu?

Michael

chris.mason
2009-04-07, 10:10
> Nope...no "line in" option under extras...

Do you see the plugin in Settings/Plugins? Is it enabled? If yes, is it
removed from Settings/Player/Menu?

Michael

I'm assuming you mean in the SC UI...

Yes, I see a Line In and Line Out plugin for Boom, both of which are de-selected....hmmm, why would they be both deselected? Oddly the line-out option is available on the Boom - I can set that to headphone, sub etc.

I'll switch them on and reboot, might take a little while (the spousal unit is listening to the radio on the SB3 downstairs!).

chris.mason
2009-04-07, 10:22
OK some progress...

I know have the Line In option available (as a menu item I can add). Selecting that switches on Line In. I can also adjust Line In level, and whether its always on/off. Can anyone explain the difference?

As for the Line Out plugin, doesn't seem to make a difference - I can now see a menu item I can add to the Boom menu, but it doesn't appear.