PDA

View Full Version : Is there a simple way to adjust L/R balance on Squeezebox?

lreinstein
2008-09-26, 07:19
I use the Squeezebox3 and run Squeezecenter on my new Macbook pro. My primary listening room requires a seating arrangement so that I am constantly having to get up to adjust the L/R BALANCE on my amplifier to correct for where I am sitting.

I know there is a plug in by INGUZ that will do full equalization. However, is there a simpler solution or perhaps a firmware upgrade that will solve this? If the L/R balance control is all i need, is the intense processing of a full EQ software plugin seems to be overkill.

Is there a simple software EQ (plugin) that will work with SB that addresses the L/R Balance issue only?

Any suggestions on how I might solve this probelm are really appreciated.

i am using a macbook pro with OSX and Time Capsule as my "server"

Larry

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-26, 07:47
I'm pretty sure that the SB3 can't be adjusted this way.

There was some simple EQ possible on the SB1 and Boom (having a DSP) may be capable of this, but the hardware simply isn't there on the SB2, SB3 and Transporter. You'd have to alter the audio stream before it was sent to the player.

Moonbase
2009-02-14, 10:36
Sorry for updating an old issue, but I think there is a NEED out there. Rooms and equipment just aren’t ideal in real life. This needs to be targeted at.

I just ran into the same issue: Needing a balance control due to an imperfect "stereo triangle". And yes, I know, in theory it would also require DRC because of delay issues. But alas!

I’d love to use InguzEQ, but it’s simply unusable on a 1.8GHz P4 PC, and I’m planning to put SC onto a Linux machine eventually.

Many people use SB3 or Duet Receivers with just active speakers, and not everyone uses Windows or has the processing power for InguzEQ (NAS users!).

I really think that a product that can be used as a pure »easy start« consumer product with an upgrade path to an audiophile setup should have a means for balance control, and maybe even a simple 3- or 5-band equalizer built in.

Since I’ve seen very fine design in the SB product line, I’d be astonished if (at least) a balance control couldn’t be done in firmware in the hardware units (SB2/SB3/Duet Receiver/Transporter) and only controlled via the remotes (IR/SBC), like the volume is now.

Integrating this feature into the core would allow anyone to start with a good quality »beginner setup« (i.e. SqueezeBox + active speakers) and allow a perfect upgrade path to an »audiophile setup« later on, without compromising quality. (Like volume, these »extra features« could probably be disabled in SqueezeCenter Settings.)

Executive summary: Increase sales. Really. It is perfect to promise 90% and deliver 110% — which these products usually do. But it’s dramatic to disappoint buyers by not including something that everyone takes for granted (and »standard«).

I filed enhancement bug #11086 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11086) for this — you might want to vote for it.

jaybeee
2009-05-06, 03:19
I think Moonbase makes a good point. I'd like to see an inbuilt equaliser so I can get the most out of my Audioengine A2s that are in my bedroom. My current PC cannot cope with InguzEQ either.

I've just added my vote to the bug you created. Which unfortunately has been answered with a "can't do it in current firmware". But we can but hope.

mooblie
2009-05-06, 04:34
Moonbase - I was about to add my vote for this enhancement, when I realised I already have the same request for closely related, but slightly different issue. I quote from my addition to the request here:

QUOTE-------------------------------------------------------
Can I suggest an enhancement to this enhancement? (one I was planning to
propose anyway, but fits both technically and logically with this one):

* Include a Stereo/Mono selector in the Audio Settings *

Reason: in applications where only one speaker is used, or the two speakers are
NOT arranged as a stereo pair, then a mono signal, fed to both outputs is
needed. Two speakers very widely separated, or in different areas would
benefit from mono signals being fed to both.

I use a SB2 on a room divider, with one active speaker facing into the kitchen,
and the other active speaker facing into the dining room. Hence the need for a
mono pair of outputs.

This stereo/mono switch should obviously be placed in the signal path BEFORE
the balance control proposed above, so the latter still has the desired effect.
UNQUOTE-------------------------------------------------------

Actually, if the reason is "firmware" then I'm optimistic it CAN be done - FW updates happen quite regularly. If they said "can't be done with current hardware" then, yes, we're bu**ered!

Phil Leigh
2009-05-09, 00:34
It wont be "easy" but couldn't SOX be used to implement both a mono and a balance function?

BlueScreenJunky
2009-05-10, 08:57
Yeah, I think a basic server-side DSP would be useful (something lighter than Inguz, but that would allow you to adjust balance, and maybe bass/treble too).

Also, a hardware DSP like the one found in the Boom could be an idea for a Squeezebox 4 ;-)

mooblie
2009-05-10, 09:17
Yeah, I think a basic server-side DSP would be useful (something lighter than Inguz, but that would allow you to adjust balance, and maybe bass/treble too).

Also, a hardware DSP like the one found in the Boom could be an idea for a Squeezebox 4 ;-)

... and a mono/stereo switch PLEASE!

(Didn't the SB1 have a hardware DSP? ...giving it bass/treble and pitch controls, lost on the move to SB2+...?)

Goodsounds
2009-05-10, 12:05
I usually agree with your comments, Moonbase, but not this time.

SB products are simply sound sources. CD players, tuners, turntables, etc also are sound sources, and don't typically have such adjustments.

I don't personally think that adding such features would have a positive effect on sales. Anyone who wants to make tonal adjustments can do so of course by running the signal through a receiver or preamp. Active speakers that lack adjustments are useful (I have some) but are not a typical part of an entry level sound system. Or, at least, don't need to be, if the ability to make adjustments is desired.

I think the SB user experience is overly complicated now, and that hurts sales now. Adding features to the UI or more branches on the menu tree would represent steps in the wrong direction.

ModelCitizen
2009-05-10, 13:33
SB products are simply sound sources. CD players, tuners, turntables, etc also are sound sources, and don't typically have such adjustments.
They are not simply sound sources though. They include a pre-amp with a volume control, unlike CD Players, tuners and turtables. And balance is performed in the pre-amp.

Active speakers that lack adjustments are useful (I have some) but are not a typical part of an entry level sound system.
Maybe, but they are becoming increasingly popular. It is also quite common for users to run the SB3/Transporter straight into a power amp... and neither include balance controls.

I think the SB user experience is overly complicated now, and that hurts sales now. Adding features to the UI or more branches on the menu tree would represent steps in the wrong direction.
It's hard to see how the addition of a simple balance control could be considered confusing. It's not as if it is going to be a new concept for anyone.

MC

Goodsounds
2009-05-10, 16:37
I hadn't seen the link in Moonbase's comment - this suggestion didn't live very long. Dead is dead.

A solution in search of a problem. The capabilities are readily available for anyone who wants them. (Although, I will say I was looking at mid-market priced preamps some time back, and I was shocked how many of them had no tone adjustment controls)

RonM
2009-05-10, 20:42
The points ModelCitizen makes are the exact points I was about to make. The fact the SB has a pre-amp makes it perfectly reasonable to aspire to balance and tone controls, both of which I've wished I had, although balance would be a much bigger want.

R.

Mark Lanctot
2009-05-11, 06:41
(Didn't the SB1 have a hardware DSP? ...giving it bass/treble and pitch controls, lost on the move to SB2+...?)

Nothing as sophisticated as a DSP, just some simple controls included in the hardware-based decoder.

mac
2009-08-27, 19:35
Sorry to respond to an old thread. Any idea why this bug/feature was marked as "WONTFIX"? I was searching for this feature to correct my channel imbalance and shocked that it wasn't already included in the SB firmware.

chris@slimdevices.com 2009-02-23 10:02:12 PST
Status RESOLVED
Resolution WONTFIX

oivindi
2010-05-18, 02:39
Is there any chance of seeing a simple balance control on the Squeezebox?

Because of a slight hearing impairment in my right ear this would be a very welcome addition to the Squeezebox experience ...

peterw
2010-05-18, 05:06
Is there any chance of seeing a simple balance control on the Squeezebox?

Because of a slight hearing impairment in my right ear this would be a very welcome addition to the Squeezebox experience ...

See this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=77771

In short, it's possible (i.e. you could do this yourself right now with some Lua code) & somewhat likely that John or someone else will release software that makes it possible on SB Touch, but it won't be offered on Boom, Classic, Transporter, Duet/Receiver, or older players.

JohnSwenson
2010-05-18, 12:27
See this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=77771

In short, it's possible (i.e. you could do this yourself right now with some Lua code) & somewhat likely that John or someone else will release software that makes it possible on SB Touch, but it won't be offered on Boom, Classic, Transporter, Duet/Receiver, or older players.

I actually have it up and running but am still having trouble with styles, I can't get it to look the way I want. Not quite ready for anybody else to see it just yet.

John S.