PDA

View Full Version : Wireless N?

KingTubby
2008-09-26, 04:18
I'm thinking of upgrading my Linksys WAG54GS router as every now and then my SB suffers from a stutter. As I like Linksys products I was considering one of their wireless N routers.

Have any of you guys upgraded to wireless n and was it worth it?

Cheers

mattybain
2008-09-26, 04:56
I recently moved to a "Eco" house which was made using SIPS from Kingspan, a kind of new insulation material. Whilst my house is toasty warm it also stopped my old G network reaching all the rooms. Changing to a N router has solved that problem although it is still weak on the ground floor (router on 3rd floor).

So for me it was essential, it's a Netgear DG384N and it's been very stable and basically all round brilliant.

I note they have released a V2 of the same router, not sure why, it's not firmware comptable (why didn't they just change the number) and not sure what difference it makes.

I have a N receiver on my media centre and at last I can stream 1080p HD movies to my TV!!

SilverRS8
2008-09-26, 05:29
I recently upgraded to wireless N (D-link DIR655) because of the 300Mbps bandwidth since I want to do everything wireless (photo management etc) but as of draft 2.0, which is included in all wireless N routers sold it is not allowed to use two 20Mhz channels because this would cause neighbours to loose their network connection or at least influence it too much. This causes only a maximum bandwidth of 130Mbps to be available. If you include signal loss because of the distance from the router you won't ever reach the 130Mbps speed.

Also the maximum speeds can only be reached when the router is in native N mode (not compatible with G mode devices). In mixed mode the performance is degraded. Also WPA2 must be used for encryption to reach the higher speeds.
Just some things to consider.... I think the greater distance reach is the most important argument over wireless G

Frank

ds2021
2008-09-26, 08:29
I moved to N specifically to get more range, and it did help significantly.

Another thing you may want to consider is a powerline homeplug connection for the SB. I did both in order to combat a multitude of combined issues (range + separate floors + interference from neighbour's network).

Black Pearl
2008-09-26, 08:50
BT sent me a Home Hub 2 recently which is Wireless N and the signal strength on the SB has gone from 12-18% to 60%+. Not had a glitch since.

KingTubby
2008-09-27, 01:54
Cheers guys
The general consensus is that moving to N is a good move with some caveats. Now, possibly a really stupid question...is the SB N compatible?

Cheers again, you have been a big help

peter
2008-09-27, 01:58
KingTubby wrote:
> Cheers guys
> The general consensus is that moving to N is a good move with some
> caveats. Now, possibly a really stupid question...is the SB N
> compatible?
>

No, it's a G device, but all N-Routers are G-compatible if you select
the right mode.

Regards,
Peter

ds2021
2008-09-27, 10:15
KingTubby wrote:
> Cheers guys
> The general consensus is that moving to N is a good move with some
> caveats. Now, possibly a really stupid question...is the SB N
> compatible?
>

No, it's a G device, but all N-Routers are G-compatible if you select
the right mode.

Regards,
Peter

And you do get the improved range benefits.

peter
2008-09-27, 13:16
ds2021 wrote:
> peter;344584 Wrote:
>
>> KingTubby wrote:
>>
>>> Cheers guys
>>> The general consensus is that moving to N is a good move with some
>>> caveats. Now, possibly a really stupid question...is the SB N
>>> compatible?
>>>
>>>
>> No, it's a G device, but all N-Routers are G-compatible if you select
>> the right mode.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter
>>
>
> And you do get the improved range benefits.
>

Some, but I haven't seen a huge improvement myself. The controller in my
bed room has improved marginally with my Dlink-655.

Regards,
Peter

Eric Seaberg
2008-09-27, 14:23
Can't the Apple Extreme 'n' work with PCs? I've been using it for almost two years and it's been GREAT! I am using Macs and get the benefit of 'n' on my MacBook Pro, but the connectivity to my SB3 is flawless running 'g' compatible. I've gone through so many Dlink and LinkSys pieces I finally decided to stick with Apple's stuff and it works!

tedfroop
2008-09-27, 19:14
Can't the Apple Extreme 'n' work with PCs?

Yes it should work - possibly only at the G level. N is still a draft standard and unless its draft2 it may not connect at n speeds.

peter
2008-09-27, 22:55
Eric Seaberg wrote:
> Can't the Apple Extreme 'n' work with PCs? I've been using it for
> almost two years and it's been GREAT! I am using Macs and get the
> benefit of 'n' on my MacBook Pro, but the connectivity to my SB3 is
> flawless running 'g' compatible. I've gone through so many Dlink and
> LinkSys pieces I finally decided to stick with Apple's stuff and it
> works!

It should work (at least for a while). I went through two generations of
Airports and when the last one died as well I got the Dlink, which works
fine and scores best in all the tests I found. It also has a nice and
simple web interface, which is an improvement from the Apple stuff. I
replaced the G cards in my Dell notebooks by N cards (you can buy an
Intel N mini-PCIe for 30 Euros), SB's can't be upgraded AFAIK, but don't
really need to be either.

Regards,
Peter

KingTubby
2008-10-23, 06:58
So am I right in saying that replacing a wireless G router with an N router may not make much difference as the SB is a G Client so wont take advantage of the N routers increased (for want of a better word) bandwidth?

sfraser
2008-10-23, 08:16
So am I right in saying that replacing a wireless G router with an N router may not make much difference as the SB is a G Client so wont take advantage of the N routers increased (for want of a better word) bandwidth?

In general, most people experience better performance (stronger signal at longer distance) using the new N routers in "G" mode. I believe this has to do with advancements in technologies involved in wifi antenna design etc. A stronger signal at longer distance can equate to more bandwidth, but you will never exceed the G standards of 54mbps. It may prove useful if you currently have trouble spots in your wifi environment, and the cost of a N router is probably not much more than a after market high performance G antenna.

oreillymj
2008-10-23, 08:28
I found that the G+MIMO router I upgraded to (from vanilla 802.11G) made a big difference. Even though I was getting 75% wireless strength, my PS3 downloads were really slow.

Changing to the MIMO router which had Auto channel switching made a huge difference.

Of course, I'm sure the neighbours weren't as impressed that my signal strength was blowing their network away. But I got there first :-)

KingTubby
2008-10-23, 09:27
Ah, the penny is slowing starting to drop.

I was looking at one of these..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Simultaneous-Dual-N-Wireless-WRT610N/dp/B001ELWASE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224769916&sr=1-1

Any thoughts?
And thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.