PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about an SB classic, help needed first

stephentw
2008-09-25, 18:12
Hi all,

I'm new here and hoping you can help me out with some questions before I potentially buy an SB Classic :)

I will only be using it to play my flac copies of my cd collection so it is imperative that it plays the files without gaps as they would if I played a CD as much of my music has songs that run into each other and a gap would ruin that completely. I know this is possible on the Duet, is the same true of the classic? I presume/hope so! Also how seamless is it? I'm hoping its identical to a CD.

I want to hardwire the SB Classic and have a barebones PC running squeezecenter on XP, think I read that it's done with a crossover cable, which is fine. But correct me if I'm wrong or if theres another way.

Can I disable the wireless broadcasting on the SB Classic or somehow stop things connecting to it? I won't be using it in that way as like I said I don't have wireless and will be hardwire connecting the SB.

Reasoning is that from what I read in the manual it acts as a wireless bridge (meaning from what I gather I could make devices wireless by plugging them into it and setting them up on it) so in theory anyone with a laptop could connect to my SB and thus connect to my computer, or is that not the case?

I read that I can disable wireless on the Transporter but I don't have that sort of money and it doesn't mention in the manual or tech specs if the same is possible on the SB Classic.

Think thats all for now. Thanks for reading hope you can help!

andyg
2008-09-25, 18:26
Hi all,

I'm new here and hoping you can help me out with some questions before I potentially buy an SB Classic :)

I will only be using it to play my flac copies of my cd collection so it is imperative that it plays the files without gaps as they would if I played a CD as much of my music has songs that run into each other and a gap would ruin that completely. I know this is possible on the Duet, is the same true of the classic? I presume/hope so! Also how seamless is it? I'm hoping its identical to a CD.

Yes, it's perfectly gapless.

I want to hardwire the SB Classic and have a barebones PC running squeezecenter on XP, think I read that it's done with a crossover cable, which is fine. But correct me if I'm wrong or if theres another way.

Yeah, you'll need a crossover cable and manually-assigned IPs if you want to wire that way without a switch.

Can I disable the wireless broadcasting on the SB Classic or somehow stop things connecting to it? I won't be using it in that way as like I said I don't have wireless and will be hardwire connecting the SB.

Wireless is automatically disabled if you use ethernet.

Reasoning is that from what I read in the manual it acts as a wireless bridge (meaning from what I gather I could make devices wireless by plugging them into it and setting them up on it) so in theory anyone with a laptop could connect to my SB and thus connect to my computer, or is that not the case?

You have it backwards. If you enable bridging, the device connected via ethernet can bridge through the wireless connection. You won't be using this.

stephentw
2008-09-26, 01:32
Yes, it's perfectly gapless.
Excellent thats just what I want!

Yeah, you'll need a crossover cable and manually-assigned IPs if you want to wire that way without a switch.
Thanks thats fine, I may setup a switch in future but for now all I'm interested in is playing back my flac so thats fine.

Wireless is automatically disabled if you use ethernet.
Ah right, good, that cuts out the risk I was thinking of entirely then, although your next answer suggests I'm confused about how it works anyway.

You have it backwards. If you enable bridging, the device connected via ethernet can bridge through the wireless connection. You won't be using this.

So in other words the SB would connect to the wireless router (if I had one). The way I was thinking is the SB would create a sort of wireless access point meaning someone could scan on their laptop and detect it but I think I've got that wrong.

However am I right in thinking that this isn't the case with the Duet though? As the controller needs to connect to the reciever via wireless. So if I bought that and hardwired the reciever to a PC it then creates an ad hoc network with a random wep key to communicate with the controller? Thus someone scanning for wireless networks would be able to see that adhoc network? Think thats what I read in another post on here.

I'm curious about squeezecentres abilities now too, do I basically have a folder with all my flac files in and it will scan through that and add everything to a database in squeezecenter? I can use an external drive for that I presume? And will it add files from multiple places (e.g. an internal drive and an external drive) or does everything have to be centralised in one place?

Think thats all for now, thanks very much for you help :)

andyg
2008-09-26, 05:52
However am I right in thinking that this isn't the case with the Duet though? As the controller needs to connect to the reciever via wireless. So if I bought that and hardwired the reciever to a PC it then creates an ad hoc network with a random wep key to communicate with the controller? Thus someone scanning for wireless networks would be able to see that adhoc network? Think thats what I read in another post on here.

Right, the Duet works differently, and does use an ad hoc network for initial setup.

I'm curious about squeezecentres abilities now too, do I basically have a folder with all my flac files in and it will scan through that and add everything to a database in squeezecenter? I can use an external drive for that I presume? And will it add files from multiple places (e.g. an internal drive and an external drive) or does everything have to be centralised in one place?

Currently all your music must be in one place, although you can link between different directories using Windows shortcuts or symlinks.

peter
2008-09-26, 10:36
stephentw wrote:
> I'm curious about squeezecentres abilities now too, do I basically have
> a folder with all my flac files in and it will scan through that and add
> everything to a database in squeezecenter? I can use an external drive
> for that I presume? And will it add files from multiple places (e.g. an
> internal drive and an external drive) or does everything have to be
> centralised in one place?
>

It's free, install it now and use the SoftSqueeze emulator to get a good
idea of how the system works.

Regards,
Peter

stephentw
2008-09-26, 12:32
Right, the Duet works differently, and does use an ad hoc network for initial setup.

Only in initial setup? I thought it created its own network with random wep key if its in "bridged mode" I think it was called. Which would be the way I'd use it if I got one, reciever connected to computer with crossover cable, controller connects to the reciever via wireless with the random wep key? Or am I wrong here?

andyg
2008-09-26, 12:35
Only in initial setup? I thought it created its own network with random wep key if its in "bridged mode" I think it was called. Which would be the way I'd use it if I got one, reciever connected to computer with crossover cable, controller connects to the reciever via wireless with the random wep key? Or am I wrong here?

OK, yes in bridged mode it does use an ad-hoc network.

stephentw
2008-09-26, 15:02
Ah ok thanks.

Thanks both Andy and Peter for your help :)