Indexing of "...Something to Be" by Rob Thomas doesn't work!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tipsen
    • Feb 2008

Indexing of "...Something to Be" by Rob Thomas doesn't work!

Hi
    I have a problem with the album "...Something to Be" by Rob Thomas. SqueezeCenter doesn't seem to properly index the album and since I'm running SC on a Synology NAS I suspect it has something to do with the beginning dot actually hiding the directory from SqueezeCenter.
    Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this without renaming the album to a another (wrong) name?
    Cheers, Tommy Ipsen
  • Themis
    • Dec 2007

Perhaps by renaming the directory ? (without renaming the album)
    SBT - North Star dac 192 - Croft 25Pre and Series 7 power - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Comment

• tipsen
      • Feb 2008

It would probably work but what annoys me is that it used to work - I remember playing Rob Thomas on earlier occations and now it doesn't work anymore - something must have changed... and maybe I can unchange it and get SC to index properly without renaming to wrong names...

Comment

• Michael Herger
        Babelfish's Best Boy
        • Apr 2005

Indexing of "...Something to Be" by Rob Thomas doesn'twork!

> I have a problem with the album "...Something to Be" by Rob Thomas.

Folders/files with a leading dot are hidden items on Linux systems.
        They're ignored by SC. As mentioned before, rename the folder and you
        should be fine.

Michael
        Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
        (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• aubuti
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tipsen
          It would probably work but what annoys me is that it used to work - I remember playing Rob Thomas on earlier occations and now it doesn't work anymore - something must have changed... and maybe I can unchange it and get SC to index properly without renaming to wrong names...
          Rename the directory, but leave the tag with the correct title and you'll be fine for indexing and browsing via anything *except* Browse Music Folder.
          Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
          Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
          Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
          Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
          Study: SB Radio
          Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
          LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

• tipsen
            • Feb 2008

Ok... I've renamed the directory by prepending an underscore (_) to the album-name - and of course with no changes to the tags it works with SqueezeCenter.
            I just think it would have been a "cleaner" solution if I could somehow have told either my Nas (Synology DS-207+) or SqueezeCenter that the directory wasn't actually hidden and should be included regardless of the name...
            Cheers, Tommy

Comment

• aubuti
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tipsen
              Ok... I've renamed the directory by prepending an underscore (_) to the album-name - and of course with no changes to the tags it works with SqueezeCenter.
              I just think it would have been a "cleaner" solution if I could somehow have told either my Nas (Synology DS-207+) or SqueezeCenter that the directory wasn't actually hidden and should be included regardless of the name...
              Cheers, Tommy
              Any OS has certain characters that are off-limits for file or directory names. In this case you had the unfortunate effect of it becoming a hidden directory, but there are other characters you could never even use (eg, * $ : \ / |), and the reserved character that is encountered most often in album and song titles: ?.

Most ripping tools deal with these things automatically, substituting more-or-less satisfactory valid characters for reserved characters. Did you create the "...Something to Be" directory manually or with a ripper? Or did you rip on one OS (eg, Windows) and then move it to your Linux system?
              Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
              Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
              Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
              Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
              Study: SB Radio
              Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
              LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

• tipsen
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by aubuti
                Most ripping tools deal with these things automatically, substituting more-or-less satisfactory valid characters for reserved characters. Did you create the "...Something to Be" directory manually or with a ripper? Or did you rip on one OS (eg, Windows) and then move it to your Linux system?
                I used AutoFLAC/EAC on my Windows XP and subsequently moved it to my (linux-based) NAS - which probably explains why the issue wasn't handled automatically.
                /tipsen

Comment

Working...