PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible

sweetsuite
2008-09-25, 10:39
Greetings knowledgeable forum:

My company is building vacation condo suites and due to the current climate we have scaled back our in room entertainment and it occurred to me that 4 Booms could do a lot of what we had planned to do with multiple complete hifi systems.

The suites all have 2 BR, 2 BA and a large living, kitchen dining area. They all have wired networking in every room with a wireless router for each suite. The guests will bring their own PCs so we would just be using Internet radio, not local mp3s.

I was thinking that we could put a Boom in each bedroom, and 1 at each end of the large public area. The guests come from all over the world so I was thinking that they could enjoy music from their home countries via Internet radio.

So, the question is: Is it possible for the Booms in the bedrooms to play separate stations and the Booms in the main room to be set to always synchronized to play the same station? That way the main area could be filled with music and guests in their rooms could pick what they want.

Thanks for the advice.

ccrome2
2008-09-25, 11:05
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:39 AM, sweetsuite <
sweetsuite.3gb0sn1222364424 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> So, the question is: Is it possible for the Booms in the bedrooms to
>
play separate stations and the Booms in the main room to be set to
> always synchronized to play the same station? That way the main area
> could be filled with music and guests in their rooms could pick what
> they want.

Sounds like a great application to me! IMO much better than multiple hifi
systems. (I'm a little biased though)

Of course, you can synchronize whichever booms you want.

In addition, there is a 'New Streaming' software release coming soon that
will significantly improve the synchronization performance and
make synchronizing much more seamless.

Is new streaming a 7.2.1 or 7.3 feature?

-Caleb

>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
>
> --
> sweetsuite
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> sweetsuite's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=20193
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53059
>
>

SuperQ
2008-09-25, 11:35
Yes, that sounds like a great use of the boom.

There are a couple of things you will want to know tho.

You will need a good internet connection to connect a large number of devices to SqueezeNetwork. Each one will consume bandwidth, even when synced over SqueezeNetwork.

There is no real security between Booms on one SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork account. Any player can "see" others for sync. If you want a Boom for each private suite, I suggest you use a separate SqueezeNetwork account for each.

You may want to setup a SqueezeCenter server so you can transcode things from the BBC using the AlienBBC plugin. This also enables a number of other services from other EU countries as well.

I don't know if anyone has written any security plugins for SqueezeCenter, but it seems like one of those things that would be a good addon.

sweetsuite
2008-09-25, 11:55
Wow. Thanks for the quick replies.

We won't be running any servers so I was planning to use the squeezenetwork as the server for the radios. Is it safe to assume that we will be able synch radio in multiple rooms with squeezenetwork?

Are you saying that when the radios are all playing the same station they still use a full stream each?

We were hoping that by permanently synching the radios on the main room we would be able to limit bandwidth usage.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

andyg
2008-09-25, 12:07
On Sep 25, 2008, at 2:55 PM, sweetsuite wrote:

>
> Wow. Thanks for the quick replies.
>
> We won't be running any servers so I was planning to use the
> squeezenetwork as the server for the radios. Is it safe to assume
> that
> we will be able synch radio in multiple rooms with squeezenetwork?
>
> Are you saying that when the radios are all playing the same station
> they still use a full stream each?
>
> We were hoping that by permanently synching the radios on the main
> room we would be able to limit bandwidth usage.
>
> Thanks again in advance for your help.

Syncing radio while on SN isn't really possible, the streams will
likely be out of sync. Syncing non-radio content such as Pandora,
Rhapsody, etc. will work fine.

JJZolx
2008-09-25, 13:35
Sounds like the Boom would be ideal for your application. Plan on at least $50-100k in software development costs, though. I don't think you'd want to do it with the stock server and the way things work now.

Nonreality
2008-09-25, 19:16
Sounds like the Boom would be ideal for your application. Plan on at least $50-100k in software development costs, though. I don't think you'd want to do it with the stock server and the way things work now.
Wouldn't they just be relying on the squeezenetwork and not a local server? I don't see that much expense at all.

sweetsuite
2008-09-26, 07:44
I got a number of messages saying this would work great. Then a seemingly official Squeezebox employee said Internet radio can't be synched at all unless we run a server. (which seems like a crazy thing to need for a clock radio). Now someone tells me I need $50-100K to make 2 radios play the same station.

These are condo suites with maids and a concierge but minimal outsourced IT support.

I'm wondering if there is an inside joke here.

Could someone please clarify the reality here?

Secret Squirrel
2008-09-26, 07:54
I'm just a forum lurker here, but what I understand from the conversation so far is that two Slim employees have answered saying the it's a good idea. However, one (Andy) mentions that the player would not necessarily be in sync if playing Internet radio, but work sync well on some on-line services.

If I were you, I would try contacting the sales arm of SMS, Slim Devices, directly and work with them.

I think you have a great idea and their help may make it easier.

HTH,

SS

bizdevguy
2008-09-26, 09:28
I'd be interested in exploring the solution in more detail. There may be other considerations in your situation that we need to review. Feel free to contact me privately. I handle business development for Squeezebox products and there are a number of people thinking about the same thing.

My view is the requirement for sync'ing in the main living area is a small problem. If the space is so large that you might need 2 booms, then a better solution might be to use built in speakers in the ceiling and stream from a Squeezebox classic. With the Boom and Classic, the user has the same text display on the device and you use IR remote controls (much cheaper to replace when lost, stolen or broken).

given the relatively small size of your operation, running your own servers seems a bit of overkill. You can also remove items from the main menu so people aren't confused or tempted to use music services or other features of the product that you wouldn't be able to easily support.

Not sure what custom software you'd need to get it to work. You might want to reskin the UI but then you'd need Squeezecenter running somewhere in the building. Workable but possibly unnecessarily complicated.

ccrome2
2008-09-26, 10:27
I'd be interested in understanding your whole setup. Running your 'own
server' may be nothing more than plugging a Ready NAS into your network.
Perhaps we should start a Wiki page that details different configurations we
can come up with -- a site that gives ideas on how to configure a network
for different applications.

Andy definitely knows what he's talking about, so take what he says
seriously :-) Will sync on internet radio work properly if you run a local
Squeezecenter? (i.e. does the SC proxy the streams?) I'm not so clear on
how the synchronization works. I usually play from local squeezecenter, so
I don't see the internet streaming issues.

-Caleb

andyg
2008-09-26, 10:29
On Sep 26, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Caleb Crome wrote:

> I'd be interested in understanding your whole setup. Running your
> 'own server' may be nothing more than plugging a Ready NAS into your
> network.
>
> Perhaps we should start a Wiki page that details different
> configurations we can come up with -- a site that gives ideas on how
> to configure a network for different applications.
>
> Andy definitely knows what he's talking about, so take what he says
> seriously :-) Will sync on internet radio work properly if you run
> a local Squeezecenter? (i.e. does the SC proxy the streams?) I'm
> not so clear on how the synchronization works. I usually play from
> local squeezecenter, so I don't see the internet streaming issues.

MP3 streams sync OK via local SC, WMA streams do not. This will be
fixed at some point.

JJZolx
2008-09-26, 10:46
I got a number of messages saying this would work great. Then a seemingly official Squeezebox employee said Internet radio can't be synched at all unless we run a server. (which seems like a crazy thing to need for a clock radio).

Because it's a whole lot more complex than a clock radio. If you have a number of suites, then you may need a beefy server. And as someone else pointed out, the software doesn't provide any kind of security. So someone in one suite could easy sync to a player in another suite, fiddle with their music, even affect their alarms. You'd probably have to run one server per suite, but maybe you could use virtual servers. Start drawing up a job ad for an IT guy, or maybe you can outsource it at $120/hour.

That's _if_ you think a guest walking in fresh off the street to the system will be able to figure it out without the help of some of your staff. It's not self-explanatory. A veteran Squeezebox user recently asked in these forums "How do you turn off the alarm?", so imagine your staff dealing that every morning.

On second thought... bad idea. Very bad.

ccrome2
2008-09-26, 11:16
How many suites do you have?
You could run a real server with a separate squeezecenter instance for each
suite. Would require a bit of thinking though.

Perhaps if you draw out a diagram of all the different suites and rooms you
have, it will make things more clear to us.

BTW, do you have any Squeezebox devices yet?

-C

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Andy Grundman <andy (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>wrote:

>
> On Sep 26, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Caleb Crome wrote:
>
> > I'd be interested in understanding your whole setup. Running your
> > 'own server' may be nothing more than plugging a Ready NAS into your
> > network.
> >
> > Perhaps we should start a Wiki page that details different
> > configurations we can come up with -- a site that gives ideas on how
> > to configure a network for different applications.
> >
> > Andy definitely knows what he's talking about, so take what he says
> > seriously :-) Will sync on internet radio work properly if you run
> > a local Squeezecenter? (i.e. does the SC proxy the streams?) I'm
> > not so clear on how the synchronization works. I usually play from
> > local squeezecenter, so I don't see the internet streaming issues.
>
> MP3 streams sync OK via local SC, WMA streams do not. This will be
> fixed at some point.
>

sweetsuite
2008-09-26, 14:06
I must say this did not turn out the way I thought from reading the website about the Squeeze Boom. Here's what got me to check into this:

"Plug it in. Turn it on. Rock the house."

"Add more Squeezebox network music players and listen to a different song in any room in your home, or synchronize them all together to hear the same music everywhere."

""Always-on" Internet Radio, powered by SqueezeNetwork, lets you tune in to Internet Radio streams even when your computer is off"

This made me think this would be an easy install, that we could synchronize 2 players in one room and that we wouldn't need to run a computer because the Squeezenetwork would take care of all that.

Thanks to all the forum people who gave me the reality. This is a great supportive community.

But, I like my job and I need to recommend things that just work as advertised.

good bye

JJZolx
2008-09-26, 14:11
Get one for your _home_. You'll love it.

Jonnio
2008-09-26, 16:06
I must say this did not turn out the way I thought from reading the website about the Squeeze Boom. Here's what got me to check into this:

"Plug it in. Turn it on. Rock the house."

"Add more Squeezebox network music players and listen to a different song in any room in your home, or synchronize them all together to hear the same music everywhere."

""Always-on" Internet Radio, powered by SqueezeNetwork, lets you tune in to Internet Radio streams even when your computer is off"

This made me think this would be an easy install, that we could synchronize 2 players in one room and that we wouldn't need to run a computer because the Squeezenetwork would take care of all that.

Thanks to all the forum people who gave me the reality. This is a great supportive community.

But, I like my job and I need to recommend things that just work as advertised.

good bye

I don't think anyone said that it wasn't as advertised, the advertisement is EXACTLY what I have - I bought a boom, plugged it in, set it to use Squeezenetwork and off I went. You have to be realistic to some degree though. It is an internet/network based radio which has a small level of complication to it based on being able to scroll through menus to find the music you want. Other people also suggested that it would be cheaper and easier if you use a single SB3 with speakers in a large room vs. doing two booms.