PDA

View Full Version : standalone pssible (no SC)?

sand
2008-09-25, 07:19
Can take the Boom with me on a trip and play from Squeezenetwork, or does it require SqueezeCenter all the time?

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-25, 07:24
Sure, that should work, provided you have suitable network access. Hotels frequently have a page where you have to agree to their terms & conditions to get access, players like Boom have no way to get past these pages.

If you can get "raw" Internet access it will work. Connect Boom to SN from home to make sure it works first though, and to get your player registered on SN.

Secret Squirrel
2008-09-25, 07:24
As long as you have an Internet connection you will be able to get onto Squeeze Network. (I hope the trip is for pleasure!)

HTH,

SS

sand
2008-09-25, 07:31
OK, thanks! I'm gathering data to support my whish of getting one..

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-25, 07:33
Just noticed your signature - Boom connects to SN exactly like your SB3s do.

In fact Boom's non-audio components are essentially the same as an SB3 except for the display.

sand
2008-09-25, 07:37
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear!
What about the alarm clock, does that require SC or will it even work without an internet connection?

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-25, 07:43
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear!
What about the alarm clock, does that require SC or will it even work without an internet connection?

Well SN does have the same alarm functionality that SC does, so that's covered.

Without a network connection, Boom will sound the next scheduled alarm only, and it'll be firmware-generated tones rather than music.

sand
2008-09-25, 07:57
OK, as long as it wakes me up at the correct time that's fine!
I just want to make sure that there is a clock in the Boom, that will keep running correctly even without a network.
A battery backup and it would be the ultimate alarm clock..

Well SN does have the same alarm functionality that SC does, so that's covered.

Without a network connection, Boom will sound the next scheduled alarm only, and it'll be firmware-generated tones rather than music.

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-25, 07:59
OK, as long as it wakes me up at the correct time that's fine!
I just want to make sure that there is a clock in the Boom, that will keep running correctly even without a network.

Yes, it's the first SC player to have a real-time clock chip. It will maintain and display its own time when disconnected from the network.

A battery backup and it would be the ultimate alarm clock..

Boom has a supercapacitor which keeps the time and holds the next scheduled alarm in memory for 24 hours if there's no power. It needs power to play the alarm though.

FredFredrickson
2008-09-25, 08:06
Because I totally geek it out- there's an alternative solution:

Bring a laptop with you, in the car, or at your destination. Install Squeezecenter on it, and include a couple gigs of songs.

Make an ad-hoc network, plug in a power inverter in your car, or set it up at your destination- and you've got a moble squeezebox setup.

Just an idea.

toby10
2008-09-25, 08:22
Because I totally geek it out- there's an alternative solution:

Bring a laptop with you, in the car, or at your destination. Install Squeezecenter on it, and include a couple gigs of songs.

Make an ad-hoc network, plug in a power inverter in your car, or set it up at your destination- and you've got a moble squeezebox setup.

Just an idea.

And the laptop will also help in determining which networks are actually "open" for Boom use. As Mark has said, many open networks require a login and/or acceptance of terms to actually gain internet access. The Boom cannot see these login screens, therefore telling you the Boom is "connected" (which it technically is), but you cannot get to anything online including SN without getting beyone these login screens.

The laptop will be able to tell you:
- which networks are open (non-encrypted)
- which open networks have the strongest signals
- do a test connect to see if that network requires any login

radish
2008-09-25, 08:52
if you have a laptop there are a couple of other options. You could use the laptop to bridge the boom onto the hotel LAN this avoiding the login screen. More cleverly, you could clone the booms MAC to the laptop, accept the disclaimer and then disconnect. As most of these systems keep track of devices by MAC the gateway should be tricked into letting the boom straight on, thinking it's still the laptop.

bebop
2008-09-26, 00:44
I actually use the Boom without SC at the moment. It is located at my girlfriends apartment an is connected to SN and MP3 Locker. This gives me Internet radio and the music & sounds that I have uploaded to the MP3 Locker.

Initially I meant to get the connection from girlfriends appartment to my own SC in my appartment to work, but the ##"##& Firewall in router keeps making trouble.

By the way, I use it as an alarm clock nearly every day, works nicely :-), even without SC, I just use alarm sounds that I have uploaded to MP3 Locker.

Regards