PDA

View Full Version : Using the Duet controller as a universal remote

Ade
2008-09-24, 23:55
It would seem like you could potentially use write a plug-in for the duet controller to allow the Duet controller's IR output to control other devices. Primarily I'm thinking of the power on/off and possibly volume on my amplifier. Is this actually possible and has anyone written such a plug-in.

I've searched around a fair bit but haven't found anything so apologies if this is an obvious question that's been answered before.

Thanks,

Ade

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-25, 07:46
Is this actually possible

Yes!

and has anyone written such a plug-in.

No! :-(

amcluesent
2008-09-25, 11:46
The SBC already uses it's IR to replicate how standard remote functions.

Not sure if the SBC can learn IR codes though, could be a pain to configure otherwise although I suppose the Pronto support sites have the codes of most of the big names.

TiredLegs
2008-09-26, 03:10
The SBC already uses it's IR to replicate how standard remote functions.

Not sure if the SBC can learn IR codes though, could be a pain to configure otherwise although I suppose the Pronto support sites have the codes of most of the big names.If I'm not mistaken, the Controller doesn't already do anything with IR. It doesn't even have an IR emitter. It does everything through its WiFi connection. Theoretically, the Controller could control an IR emitter connected to its headphone jack or the headphone output jack of a Squeezebox Classic, but the Receiver doesn't have such a jack. The Controller also doesn't have an IR receiver, so it doesn't have a means of learning codes.

simbo
2008-09-26, 05:01
If I'm not mistaken, the Controller doesn't already do anything with IR. It doesn't even have an IR emitter. It does everything through its WiFi connection. Theoretically, the Controller could control an IR emitter connected to its headphone jack or the headphone output jack of a Squeezebox Classic, but the Receiver doesn't have such a jack. The Controller also doesn't have an IR receiver, so it doesn't have a means of learning codes.
It does too (have an IR emitter). Settings > Advanced > Factory Test > Infrared, gives you a "classic" remote.

IRJ
2008-09-26, 07:51
I would like to ask a question re the controller.

Let's say I have just purchased and installed a new Duet (receiver and controller) and I want to use in conjunction with an existing SB (1).

Let's also say I am in the room with the SB (1) and the other (new) receiver is in another room (no line of sight).

Question: Via the controller can I then "control" the usage of BOTH the SB(1) and the new receiver?

I ask because Both the older SB(1) and new receiver have infrared receivers so is this the means of control, or is it can it by WiFi which I also have. Or is it both?

Hope I have explained myself logically.

Thanks

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-26, 07:54
Question: Via the controller can I then "control" the usage of BOTH the SB(1) and the new receiver?

Yes, but not how you're thinking. The Controller actually controls SqueezeCenter, it doesn't control the players directly. So any player seen by SqueezeCenter can be controlled by the Controller.

I ask because Both the older SB(1) and new receiver have infrared receivers so is this the means of control, or is it can it by WiFi which I also have. Or is it both?

Although the SBC has IR capability it's currently off by default and only accessible deep in a test menu, so you'd be accessing everything through wireless to your SqueezeCenter, and the SqueezeCenter would control the players.

IRJ
2008-09-26, 09:40
Thanks for the quick reply Mark. You have addressed my questios and concerns nicely. Apreciated.

Now all I have to do is find out why my zip program won't allow me to [ut back in AlienBBC! Funny ther last update was so easy this one is much more difficult my end for some reason.