Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philip Meyer
    • Apr 2005

iTunes 8 API

TrackStatiTunesUpdateWin.pl doesn't work with the latest version of iTunes (version 8).

The following fails:

$iTunesHandle = Win32::OLE->GetActiveObject('iTunes.Application');
    unless ($iTunesHandle) {
    $iTunesHandle = new Win32::OLE( "iTunes.Application")

I've downloaded the iTunesCOMWindowsSDK, and it still says in there that the OLE object is "iTunes.Application". I guess it's changed and they haven't updated the documentation, or my iTunes installation is knackered.

Any clues anyone?

Phil
  • Phil Meyer
    • Apr 2005

iTunes 8 API

>or my iTunes installation is knackered.
    This appears to have been the problem.

I downloaded the full iTunes 8 installer and reinstalled over the top, then rebooted. This has seemingly fixed the OLE object registration in the registry. Must be something a bit flakey with iTunes automatic update+reboot.

It appears that I am not the only one that has experienced this issue, having scoured the net for answers!

Phil

Comment

• pippin
      • Oct 2007

Sounds reasonable. After updating to v8 I generally got an error when I start iTunes on Windows for a while. Disappeared after a few reboots. No, I didn't reinstall or upgrade again....
      ---
      learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
      Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
      at penguinlovesmusic.com
      New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• Craig, James \(IT\)

iTunes 8 API

Have you tried reinstalling iTunes? It quite frequently fails to install the OLE interface on the first install.

Apple hadn't updated the SDK for iTunes 8 when I checked earlier this week, but it's unlikely they'd change this basic operation.
        Having said that, I don't think any Windows users have confirmed the plugin working with iTunes 8 yet.

James
        --------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.

Comment

• Phil Meyer
          • Apr 2005

iTunes 8 API

>Have you tried reinstalling iTunes? It quite frequently fails to install the OLE interface on the first install.
          Thanks - I did just that and after a reboot to make sure, it's started to work fine.

Phil

Comment

Working...