PDA

View Full Version : SoftSqueeze & Java Web Start

Thomas B. Malsbury
2004-04-08, 11:12
I just wanted to pick the lists communal brain with something that I am working on. I am trying to get the SoftSqueeze program to launch from a webpage using a .jnpl file.

The main reason I am trying to do this is that I have a fairly open server used by many friends and family members. The main problem I was having before was that if multiple users behind a single router appeared as the same IP address when attempting to access the server to remote stream (i.e. Me and a co-worker from the office, my father and brother from my parents house)

My not so elegant solution was to set up two Slimservers, one that remote streamed over port 9000 and had the media files locally and a second system that listened on a different port and mounted the files through samba from the first system. To make it simple I set up a webpage that had a link to Slimserver1 and Slimserver2. To keep it simple for all involved and not have to worry about ports and the like, these launched the local media player on the machine and opened the appropriate web interface. I told some people to only use Slimserver1 and other to use Slimserver2. This has been working for the past few months, but I would like to get away from running two system constantly.

I see the Softsqueeze as a way to do this. By so thoroughly emulating a Squeezebox Slimserver manages the playlists using the NIC's MAC address, not the machine's IP address. The only problem is that I don't want to have to walk everyone through the setup process. I seem to think that I should be able to do this using Java Web Start, but keep getting the error "Unable to launch". I think this may be due to the fact that I am not the author of the Softsqueeze.jar file, and/or am not the one that singed the file. I have to admit this is my first attempt at using Java or Java Web Start, so any advice would be great.

Tom

PS: I love my two new old refurbed SLIMP3's

rtitmuss
2004-04-09, 09:01
Tom,

> I just wanted to pick the lists communal brain with something that I am
working on. I am trying to get the
> SoftSqueeze program to launch from a webpage using a .jnpl file.

If you send me you .jnpl file then I'll have a look at it and see if I can
get it to work. I would like to include this in the next release if that is
OK with you.

Regards,
Richard

dean
2004-04-09, 09:57
I'd love to see SoftSqueeze available as an applet for loading from a
web page, specifically one in the SlimServer...

-dean

On Apr 9, 2004, at 9:01 AM, Richard Titmuss wrote:

> Tom,
>
>> I just wanted to pick the lists communal brain with something that I
>> am
> working on. I am trying to get the
>> SoftSqueeze program to launch from a webpage using a .jnpl file.
>
> If you send me you .jnpl file then I'll have a look at it and see if I
> can
> get it to work. I would like to include this in the next release if
> that is
> OK with you.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
>