PDA

View Full Version : Remote not working

tuckers
2008-09-23, 13:31
I got my Boom, but the remotes not working. I tried the remote from a Classic, and it works on it. I tried placing it on the boom overnight to see if perhaps it had some kind of charging thing in there, but no luck.

I don't see a way to open the remote to replace a battery. Is that possible?

I see that link to an accessory remote, the fact that it's lighted might be a plus since I am using the Boom in my bedroom, and can't see the remote at night, so that might be my ultimate option anyways.

max.spicer
2008-09-23, 13:51
I got my Boom, but the remotes not working. I tried the remote from a Classic, and it works on it. I tried placing it on the boom overnight to see if perhaps it had some kind of charging thing in there, but no luck.

I don't see a way to open the remote to replace a battery. Is that possible?

I see that link to an accessory remote, the fact that it's lighted might be a plus since I am using the Boom in my bedroom, and can't see the remote at night, so that might be my ultimate option anyways.

The remote slides open - the top half from the bottom half. There is also a small plastic tab that you need to pull out to allow the battery to touch the contact.

Max

tuckers
2008-09-23, 14:14
It would be great if there was an arrow or something on the remote back to show you can slide it open, and the directions are buried in the manual a bit! Be nice to show on the Remote diagram pages.

dwilliams01
2008-09-23, 15:38
Maybe a sticker on the bottom with a diagram for the first impression? Trying to remember how to do it after several months of use is another question, though...

androidtopp
2008-09-24, 09:17
My remote had a small card enclosed it its little plastic bag, with pictograms showing how to open the remote, remove the protective thing, etc. I seem to remember a previous forum post where it sounds like the user was missing that card. Is this another case?

d60pdp
2008-09-24, 10:11
My remote had a small card enclosed it its little plastic bag, with pictograms showing how to open the remote, remove the protective thing, etc. I seem to remember a previous forum post where it sounds like the user was missing that card. Is this another case?
Although SB is a good audio device when it works, I've experienced so many headaches with SB Duet and SB Boom, starting from lost connection to poor user guides and bad QC.

Speaking of SB Boom remote, at first, I also had a few troubles
1. Slid out the card, the remote works intermittently. Found out there remained a trace of adhesive material which might cause nonconductivity? Cleaned the battery surface, it worked.
2. After a week or so, it stopped working completely. Replaced a new battery and it's working great now.

Building my HTPCs from scratch seemed much easier than getting my SB Boom to work with my ReadyNAS. I'm now still trying to make my Duet controller working with its receiver which has failed since updated to SC 7.2 on my ReadyNAS in order to have the SB Boom worked!

tuckers
2008-09-24, 10:15
My remote came covered in shrink wrap, there was no little card that came with it.

There was some adhesive stuck to the batter when I removed the tab, but it works fine now.

toby10
2008-09-24, 12:37
.....Speaking of SB Boom remote, at first, I also had a few troubles
1. Slid out the card, the remote works intermittently. Found out there remained a trace of adhesive material which might cause nonconductivity? Cleaned the battery surface, it worked.
2. After a week or so, it stopped working completely. Replaced a new battery and it's working great now.......

Yeah, I figured the sticker on the battery would cause grief for some people and I made mention of it in another post. :)

But my remote has been flawless, used daily, included battery still going strong! I wonder if some supplier jacked SD's and unloaded a bunch of old, outdated batteries on them!
I'd imagine it would not be too difficult for a supplier to "mix in" some old batteries within a shipment of thousands. :(

Jazz1
2008-09-25, 19:08
When I opened mine the first time to pull the tab I did not get the cover closed all the way. It gave me on again off again service for a few minutes before I figured it out. Drove me crazy ;) I've already talked two people in the office to buy a Boom.

ChrisOwens
2008-09-29, 17:38
There are a couple of issues that have popped up with the Boom remote, so I thought I'd share what we've found. Rather than keep the problem secret and quietly fix it with an RMA, I'd prefer to admit the problem and help people get going if they're having problems.

The first is what tuckers found, that the adhesive from the clear plastic sticky tab doesn't pop off the battery cleanly in some cases, and causes connection problems. It's the easier problem to solve, and seems to fix a lot of cases. We've moved to a new adhesive at the factory that should be less sticky, but still sticky enough.

The trickier problem (I have seen one so far, but I've heard enough comments and support calls that I think there are more out there) is a manufacturing issue with the spring terminals that contact the battery in the remote. The symptom is that the remote is just dead, and a new battery doesn't help.

One of the spring terminals that touches the battery was bent incorrectly, and sometimes makes a poor electrical connection. I don't know how many units are affected (I would guess at this point something around .1%, or 1 in 1000, which is still quite a few people). If you're seeing this problem and you would rather try to fix it yourself, let me know and I'll either post instructions here or email them out, depending on how many responses I get.

The design of the battery contacts was changed to make it less susceptible to variations in bending and prevent this from happening on newer units.

Let me know!

toby10
2008-09-30, 04:08
[QUOTE=ChrisOwens;345390]There are a couple of issues that have popped up with the Boom remote, so I thought I'd share what we've found. Rather than keep the problem secret and quietly fix it with an RMA, I'd prefer to admit the problem and help people get going if they're having problems....../QUOTE]

Would it be of any use to you if we sent or posted our Boom S/N's and stated if our remotes are functioning properly or not? Might help you track down what S/N range is affected and those units can be pulled and/or customers contacted. Though I suppose the issue may be so hit & miss this may well be pointless. Let us know. :)

My Boom remote is fine.