PDA

View Full Version : Netgear DG834G

hussein
2008-09-23, 09:13
Does anyone have a Boom connected to a Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem Router? Ideally a v4 one running the latest outside America firmware.

tonywalk
2008-09-24, 14:09
Does anyone have a Boom connected to a Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem Router? Ideally a v4 one running the latest outside America firmware.

Not yet. Mine's a version 1 with the old case and HUGE power supply, however the software should be the same or very similar as Netgear have provided a wealth of updates over time to keep the unit current. I believe they're up to version 6 of the DG834G now.

My SB3 connects very nicely to it over WiFi and my router is fully secured with both WPA encryption and only allowing certain MAC addresses to connect wirelessly.

If I can help then please, fire away.

Regards,
Tony.

hussein
2008-09-24, 15:13
Thanks Tony,

I think the latest one is v5 which is the same as v4 but has a wireless on/off switch. Anyway, the hardware on the v1-3 is different to the v4-5. v1 has a TI-AR7 system on chip, and v4 has a Broadcom BCM6348 chipset. The software may be similar though?

I was having some intermittent problems which *could* be explained by port 9000 occasionally being blocked on my network. Just wondering whether anyone has ever experienced this problem before with the same Netgear router.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-25, 00:00
DG834G v2
Firmware Version V3.01.31

Works fine with Boom (although controllers can be a little temperamental very occasionally).

MC

volpone
2008-09-25, 00:20

DG834G V3.01.25 (Europe), works for me with Boom - SB3 - SBR and Controller

signor_rossi
2008-09-25, 01:54
I have a DG834G v3 and had problems with WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK enabled at the same time. Switching to WPA-PSK only (didn't need the latter) made things going again.

SignorRossi.

hussein
2008-09-26, 09:07
Thanks all!

My router is running firmware V5.01.09 (UK) and I have wireless configured G-Only, WPA2-PSK.

I'm glad this device is popular. The problem I was having is very difficult to diagnose because it is so intermittent - so far things have been working great for a few days so fingers crossed it has magically solved itself.

tonywalk
2008-09-26, 12:46
I found I was having strange Wi-fi problems when a neighbour got a wireless router and configured it on the same channel as mine.

I've got a great little widget on my Mac Mini that shows me what channels routers within range are using. I'm sure there must be something similar for Windows and Linux too.

hussein
2008-09-29, 02:57
Thanks Tony.

Was it iStumbler? Thats the utility I used on my MacBook to try and configure my wireless to a channel as far away from my neighbours as possible. Works great.

The Boom is still working ok actually though I've not really had a chance to use it much in the past few days. But it does wake me in the morning and appears to play everything now. I'll test it out properly once I get a bit more time.

tonywalk
2008-10-07, 02:58
Thanks Tony.

Was it iStumbler? Thats the utility I used on my MacBook to try and configure my wireless to a channel as far away from my neighbours as possible. Works great.

The Boom is still working ok actually though I've not really had a chance to use it much in the past few days. But it does wake me in the morning and appears to play everything now. I'll test it out properly once I get a bit more time.

Annouces iteslf as "macwireless.com" which if you go to the website turns out the dashboard widget is called Airport Radar.

Glad to hear the Boom is happy.