PDA

View Full Version : Duet: firmware 55? Controller hardware update?

ioncube
2008-09-23, 05:30
I'm planning to get a 4th SB, this time to install into the garden, and a controller plus duet seemed the obvious choice; already tested one of my others to try the speakers and cheapo 8 ($15) amp from China and it works a treat - garden audio is cool :). I had a few queries though and would appreciate any advice/info from those in the know.

Firstly, I'm running firmware 55 and SC 6.3.1, and would prefer not to upgrade SC. Upgrades to around 6.3 or so worked, but after that and even with a fresh Perl install there were either segfaults or Perl module errors. With no time to pfaff troubleshooting, I stick with 6.3.1 as that works fine as I need it. However, will the Duet player work with revision 55 or would I need to get SC 7 for newer firmware and also for controller support?

Second, around the net I read quite a few reports of wireless range problems early on with the Duet controller, and I seem to recall talk of a hardware revision to address that. Was there in fact a revision, and if so roughly when did this happen? Would be a shame to pick up an older version from old stock if the current model is improved, not that I imagine stock from stores would hang around long.

Nick

chrisla
2008-09-23, 05:43
The missing perl module errors were known/common. They got it all
figured out in later releases. I was getting the same thing in some
releases, and then that went away in later releases w/o me changing my
server.

I believe you do need 7.x for the controller.

What amp are you using?

-Chris

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:30 AM, ioncube
<ioncube.3g6xcb1222173301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> I'm planning to get a 4th SB, this time to install into the garden, and
> a controller plus duet seemed the obvious choice; already tested one of
> my others to try the speakers and cheapo 8 ($15) amp from China and it
> works a treat - garden audio is cool :). I had a few queries though and
> would appreciate any advice/info from those in the know.
>
> Firstly, I'm running firmware 55 and SC 6.3.1, and would prefer not to
> upgrade SC. Upgrades to around 6.3 or so worked, but after that and
> even with a fresh Perl install there were either segfaults or Perl
> module errors. With no time to pfaff troubleshooting, I stick with
> 6.3.1 as that works fine as I need it. However, will the Duet player
> work with revision 55 or would I need to get SC 7 for newer firmware
> and also for controller support?
>
> Second, around the net I read quite a few reports of wireless range
> problems early on with the Duet controller, and I seem to recall talk
> of a hardware revision to address that. Was there in fact a revision,
> and if so roughly when did this happen? Would be a shame to pick up an
> older version from old stock if the current model is improved, not that
> I imagine stock from stores would hang around long.
>
> Nick
>
>
> --
> ioncube
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ioncube's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2212
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52959
>
>
>

funkstar
2008-09-23, 06:43
All the Squeeze products use different firmware files (appart from the SB2/3 which is identical hardware). Both parts of the Duet package, The SqueezeBox Controller and SqueezeBox Reciever, require the use of SqueezeCenter v7 or higher.

The server has come a long way since 6.3.1, I would strongly recomend giving it a try.

The server is more demanding now though as it moved from a SQLite database to a full MySQL database in 6.5.x. In 7.x there have been a lot of changes made behind the scenes to improve performance and reliability, the web interface also saw a massive overhaul to make it far more dynamic. With multiple players, the new syncronisation code might be a benefit to you too, this makes things much more reliable especially with wirless and different product generations working together.

ioncube
2008-09-23, 06:49
Thanks for the reply. The last version I tried was squeezecenter-7.0-17793 back in May so I'll try the latest and see what happens.

For the amp, I bought item 320238699615 from ebay.co.uk. There are some other similar designs around. In fact it was about 16 quid with postage, but an even cheaper one I just found and hadn't spotted before is 110291419641. Search for "mp3 amplifier".

The amp was even smaller than I expected and ideal for that. Mine has what may be a dry joint on one of the power connections as a couple of times power came on and then went off, but once it's running it's fine with bass around mid-way and treble wound right up. Speakers are omni directional GS5's from www.outdooraudio.co.uk. Despite positive reviews, expectations weren't great frankly and when tried singly (they are sold in pairs) a single speaker sounded ok although rather like a speaker in a plastic tub buried in the ground which is exactly what it is. The products are widely used in theme parks, and the garden sounded like ... a theme park. However with both running and at a decent separation, the sound was much better, enveloping and enjoyable, and it should be great in the summer as long as it doesn't upset neighbours.

iPhone
2008-09-23, 06:55
I'm planning to get a 4th SB, this time to install into the garden, and a controller plus duet seemed the obvious choice; already tested one of my others to try the speakers and cheapo 8 ($15) amp from China and it works a treat - garden audio is cool :). I had a few queries though and would appreciate any advice/info from those in the know.

Firstly, I'm running firmware 55 and SC 6.3.1, and would prefer not to upgrade SC. Upgrades to around 6.3 or so worked, but after that and even with a fresh Perl install there were either segfaults or Perl module errors. With no time to pfaff troubleshooting, I stick with 6.3.1 as that works fine as I need it. However, will the Duet player work with revision 55 or would I need to get SC 7 for newer firmware and also for controller support?

Second, around the net I read quite a few reports of wireless range problems early on with the Duet controller, and I seem to recall talk of a hardware revision to address that. Was there in fact a revision, and if so roughly when did this happen? Would be a shame to pick up an older version from old stock if the current model is improved, not that I imagine stock from stores would hang around long.

Nick

Hello Nick,
Both the Receiver and Controller (IE a Duet) require SC 7.x or the new SqueezeNetwork. So if you wish to play saved files or use the Controller, you will have to upgrade from SS to SC 7.x. The new SC is fairly good and has many new features that you might like as well as use.

I don't know if the Controller has been updated/improved since actual retail production started. I believe the biggest change was between the Jive prototype antenna to the actual production antenna. If you are worried about the outdoor range, I think the bigger issue will end up being the Controller display. The Controller display is not an outdoor glare proof design. The Controller is mainly an indoor device so it would have to be used in the shade or hooding the display with your body or hand.

Not that I don't think that you would enjoy SC 7.x or even a Controller, but if you think you will be changing your music often outdoors, you might look at iPeng on an iTouch or iPhone. I believe the early versions of iPeng still run on SS. Just another possible option.

ioncube
2008-09-23, 06:55
The new syncronisation code might be a benefit to you too, this makes things much more reliable especially with wirless and different product generations working together.

Thanks and clearly I'll have to upgrade, although 6.3.1 has been a fairly golden version for me. So far I've two SB3's and one SB2, all wireless, and with the SB2 very conveniently also serving as a bridge for a Siemens DECT/SIP phone base station that only has a 10-baseT wired port. Very rarely any wireless problems with a Vigor 2800 (although a vigor FW upgrade was required), and synchronisation has generally been fine too.

peter
2008-09-23, 06:56
ioncube wrote:
> with bass around mid-way and treble wound right up. Speakers are omni
> directional GS5's from www.outdooraudio.co.uk. Despite positive
>

You mean you didn't get the 'Stone Stereo'? :(
I wonder how they sound...

Regards,
Peter

ioncube
2008-09-23, 07:07
If you are worried about the outdoor range, I think the bigger issue will end up being the display. It is not an outdoor glare proof design. The device is mainly an indoor device so it would have to be used in the shade or hooding the display with your body or hand.

Not that I don't think that you would enjoy SC 7.x or even a Controller, but if you think you will be changing your music often outdoors, you might look at iPeng on an iTouch or iPhone. I believe the early versions of iPeng still run on SS. Just another possible option.

Thanks for that, the display was another thing to wonder about. I'm not too concerned about range as I've cabled CAT5 to the garden so can run another hotspot there if needed, although I'd probably improve the antenna on the existing router as first preference. I figure that the controller will definitely be useful indoors, and the garden player doesn't need a display as it'll be enclosed somewhere out of reach anyway, so the Duet package will give me two items that are certainly useful, but maybe the controller won't be best for the garden. Thanks for some alternatives to consider!

ioncube
2008-09-23, 07:20
ioncube wrote:[color=blue]You mean you didn't get the 'Stone Stereo'? :(
I wonder how they sound...

If the garden design had similar type rocks then I'd have been tempted, although I think that the rocks are directional and would give a more focussed sound than the omni speakers. The omnis should give more flexibility for listening position. There are also problems with foxes and cats abusing features of the garden so maybe the speakers will be useful for part of my active animal deterrent project (motion triggered water jets) as the lion poo didn't work.

iPhone
2008-09-23, 07:20
Thanks for that, the display was another thing to wonder about. I'm not too concerned about range as I've cabled CAT5 to the garden so can run another hotspot there if needed, although I'd probably improve the antenna on the existing router as first preference. I figure that the controller will definitely be useful indoors, and the garden player doesn't need a display as it'll be enclosed somewhere out of reach anyway, so the Duet package will give me two items that are certainly useful, but maybe the controller won't be best for the garden. Thanks for some alternatives to consider!

Your welcome Nick. I want back and did an edit of my post. When I was speaking of the display outdoors, I was talking about the display on the Controller itself. The Controller display tends to wash out in direct sunlight. The great thing about the SBR (Receiver) is that it is perfect for outdoor or hidden use because it has no display to worry about. Good luck.