PDA

View Full Version : My "New Music" Isn't New...

MikeekiM
2008-09-22, 09:34
OK...so I haven't really played around with the "New Music" category until now... I think it is fabulous to have a section that allows you to have the last 10-15 albums that you added to your library... It's likely stuff you want to immerse yourself into...

For some reason, I am looking at my "New Music" and none of it is very new at all... In fact, it looks like there is no rhyme or reason to how the 10 that I have it limited to were even selected...

How does "New Music" work...and how can I adjust/fix it so it does what I think it should do?

kdf
2008-09-22, 09:38
>

> How does "New Music" work...and how can I adjust/fix it so it does what
> I think it should do?

It is a list of albums sorted by age. In this case, "age" is determined by
"modification time". If you have editted tags recently, you may have
affected those timestamps. Many tools have an option for updating mod
time or leaving it alone.

cheers,
Kdf

Siduhe
2008-09-22, 09:42
Search is your friend...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52882

If you have "old" music showing it is possible that these are old rips (either yours or someone else's) and that your tagging program is set not to automatically update the file date when you retagged them? If you open up all the files and force save them (in a different program), they should shoot to the top of your list.

Or you've retagged some old music and this has made it shoot to the top of the list.

Nonreality
2008-09-22, 14:44
Some tagging programs like mp3tag allow you to set it to not modify the time stamp if it bothers you. I've just gotten used to anytime I fix a tag or something it will show up in the new music folder. Also if you move your folders it will show as new.

MeSue
2008-09-22, 20:28
I don't understand why SC uses the file's modified date for "new" instead of the creation date. But for a solution, try the Custom Browse plugin from erland. It allows you to create "New Artists", "New Songs", and "New Albums" as menus, and these seem to show what is really new instead of what is modified.

MikeekiM
2008-09-22, 21:01
I don't understand why SC uses the file's modified date for "new" instead of the creation date. But for a solution, try the Custom Browse plugin from erland. It allows you to create "New Artists", "New Songs", and "New Albums" as menus, and these seem to show what is really new instead of what is modified.

I agree... "new music" means that I just added it to my library... "new music" (to me) does not mean that I have touched it or modified any of it's characteristics...

aubuti
2008-09-23, 06:29
I agree... "new music" means that I just added it to my library... "new music" (to me) does not mean that I have touched it or modified any of it's characteristics...
Then set your tagging program so that it doesn't change the mod time on the files and all will be well. But then you want to make sure that you use something other than mod time in your backup system (you do have a backup of your music library, don't you?). If you're on Windows then the archive bit should suffice for flagging files that need to be backed up.

MeSue
2008-09-23, 08:57
Then set your tagging program so that it doesn't change the mod time on the files and all will be well.
Not all tagging programs offer this option.

funkstar
2008-09-23, 09:19
Not all tagging programs offer this option.
Then use a better tagging program

(someone had to say it :) )

MeSue
2008-09-23, 09:32
Then use a better tagging program

(someone had to say it :) )

I shouldn't have to when Squeezecenter is the one doing it wrong. :-p

sebp
2008-09-23, 16:31
I don't understand why SC uses the file's modified date for "new" instead of the creation date.
I'd bet this is because UN*X systems (MacOS X included) don't keep trace of when a file was created ...