PDA

View Full Version : Strange Receiver Hickup

Millwood
2008-09-22, 07:04
I recently moved my receiver - it's now 6 feet above the wireless access point.

I first saw good signal - 70% plus or minus. Yesterday, suddenly, the signal was 10-30! Moving it around did little. Power cycle did nothing.

Today, as an experiment, I put an SB3 in the same place. 70% signal. Then I power cycled the receiver again - and suddenly its back to 70% +/-.

Has anyone seen this? And ideas what might be going on? Do I have a potential hardware problem?

As an aside - to the SB3 and receiver use the same power supply?

maggior
2008-09-22, 07:41
No, they use different power supplies. The SBR I believe uses 9V and the SB3 uses 5V. The reason for the difference I seem to recall is the different DACs in each.

Could the issue be that the receiver is too close to the WAP? I recall another user in these forums having connection problems and strange behavior becuase he had his squeezebox too close to the WAP. When the signal is too strong, I would think the signal could swamp the wireless receiver.

Millwood
2008-09-22, 07:53
Could the issue be that the receiver is too close to the WAP? I recall another user in these forums having connection problems and strange behavior becuase he had his squeezebox too close to the WAP. When the signal is too strong, I would think the signal could swamp the wireless receiver.

Would that cause this intermittent (only once so far) failure? Right now, its just fine, seeing 87% - which is what I'd expect given its location.

maggior
2008-09-22, 08:40
The behaivor the user saw was not intermittent - it behaved like it had a very weak signal.

It may have been a temporary glitch. It's wierd though that power cycling it the first time didn't help. I wasn't until you swapped out the SB3 and then put the SBR back that the problem went away.