PDA

View Full Version : Can the remote control the SqueezeCenter without a Squeezebox?

floepie
2008-09-21, 13:06
I'd really like to be able to control the software app (SqueezeCenter) on a PC connected via SPDIF to an AV receiver. So, I have no need for an actual Squeezebox itself. The remote would be able to control my music collection in addition to starting the various internet streams and podcasts. Is this possible to do with the controller/remote by itself?

radish
2008-09-21, 14:47
What would you be using as a player? Softsqueeze? It should work, but the software players are never quite as nice as the physical ones.

floepie
2008-09-21, 17:40
I don't really need a Squeezebox, as I have my HTPC sitting next to my AV receiver over SPDIF. I was under the impression that the SqueezeCenter was a soft player itself, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

I'm really just looking for a remote like the Squeezebox controller to display album art and to control playback of local sources and internet streams, but I'm not quite sure if the box itself is absolutely required.

Does anyone know for sure? I suppose the remote would need some sort of RF receiver, correct? So, my quest my be dead in the water already.

maggior
2008-09-21, 20:31
Squeezeslave is a headless player (i.e. it is a program that will run in the background) that can be controlled either via the web interface to squeezecenter or via the SBC (controller).

It is limited though. I won't play LAME mp3 files gapless. I think it may transcode lossless files to mp3 (not sure). Not sure if you can sync it with other players (if it is the only one, it doesn't matter). It probably won't crossfade either.

You can try it out with your library and setup now and control it via the web interface. If you find it suits your needs, then you can make the jump to the SBC.

I use squeezeslave as a way of having an extra player in one of my listening locations. It's a way of turning your server into another player.

floepie
2008-09-21, 20:54
OK, thanks. What serves as the receiver to the remote then without a squeezebox? I have a remote/IR receiver compatible with VistaMC and other front ends such as MediaPortal. Can that USB IR receiver accept commands from the remote?

Also, would it need to transcode FLACs to MP3 on the fly?

Paul Webster
2008-09-21, 22:40
If I understood correctly, you are considering the Slimdevices Controller for this function (so that you can see album art at the remote control).
It communicates with SqueezeCenter via wifi - so that part should be fine.

I suggest that before you go and buy the remote control you get the rest up and running to verify that it really can work like you want on your HTPC.
You can control it using a web browser (including basic ones in PDA/phone).

You might also consider using those other devices as your remote control anyway.

maggior
2008-09-22, 06:24
OK, thanks. What serves as the receiver to the remote then without a squeezebox? I have a remote/IR receiver compatible with VistaMC and other front ends such as MediaPortal. Can that USB IR receiver accept commands from the remote?

Also, would it need to transcode FLACs to MP3 on the fly?

I'm sorry - I left that part out. If you use the SBC (SqueezeBox Controller), it uses WiFi to talk to squeezecenter/players. You wouldn't be able to use the standard IR remote in this application. The IR remote will only work with the classic SqueezeBox (SB3).

Hope that helps.

floepie
2008-09-22, 12:15
OK thanks for the responses. Now to see if everything works and if there are any good deals floating around on the controller only.

amcluesent
2008-09-22, 13:13
TBH a SqueezeCenter/Softsqueeze combo on a PC beside your amp doesn't look optimal unless you plan to use any of the hardware players in the future.

It's heresy I know, but what about iTunes on the PC and the iTunes Remote app on an iPod Touch. Same effect, plus you get a Touch!

floepie
2008-09-22, 13:27
TBH a SqueezeCenter/Softsqueeze combo on a PC beside your amp doesn't look optimal unless you plan to use any of the hardware players in the future.

Doesn't look optimal? I'm not sure I understand. If you're talking about having a PC next to a receiver, rest assured it sits in a sleek HTPC case just begging to be on display.

It's heresy I know, but what about iTunes on the PC and the iTunes Remote app on an iPod Touch. Same effect, plus you get a Touch!
Oh, I have the iphone with Remote right now. It's just that it sits in my pocket 90% of the time, so no one else has access to it, so it's not really all that practical. Furthermore, SC can control various internet streaming services, which iTunes via Remote cannot do.

maggior
2008-09-22, 13:40
OK thanks for the responses. Now to see if everything works and if there are any good deals floating around on the controller only.

From what I've seen, the good deals are on Duets (controller and player packaged together). With Duet prices below $350 depending on where you look, it doesn't make sense to spend $300 on just the controller. It's like getting the player for $50. Or even less if you can find a better deal on the Duet.

Look on Ebay and keep checking Amazon. That's where I've seen the best deals.