PDA

View Full Version : Last.FM - How Accurate Is It For You?

MikeekiM
2008-09-21, 10:51
I love last.fm's ability to track down my listening habits...

But the thing I hate (and there is nothing that last.fm can really do about it), is that it really only tracks what is being played...not what you are listening to... (I know...completely unrealistic expectation)...

Yesterday, I left my SB playing Tracy Chapman... And it was set (unbeknownst to me) to do a repeat loop of the album... so it played all day long... This will obviously skew my last.fm statistics...

Additionally, when you are just listening to Pandora in the background, and move to another room while it's playing...it continues to track all the music that you are "listening to"...

I guess my big question to all of you is: Even though last.fm cannot really track what you are listening to... Is what is being played accurately reflect your listening habits once you have enough data in your profile?

ModelCitizen
2008-09-21, 10:55
You can edit that Tracy Chapman album out of your Last.fm profile if you want.

And yes, Last.fm does hold a pretty accurate grasp of my true profile... but that is probably because I've been using it for so long.... I do wonder about my increased usage of Internet radio (due to Boom) skewing results though.

MC

mattybain
2008-09-21, 23:41

And yes, Last.fm does hold a pretty accurate grasp of my true profile... but that is probably because I've been using it for so long.... I do wonder about my increased usage of Internet radio (due to Boom) skewing results though.

MC

I have been using for LastFM for years and having scrobbled nearly 80,000 tracks it has a pretty good idea of what I like.

I find that sometimes the radio is amazing and occasionally I honestly think it is playing one of my own playlists. However other times it gets it hopelessly wrong, which is where the skip track becomes very handy (I would recommend using the un-offical plugin, no skip limit per hour). I find I listen to LastFM radio streams probably 80% of the time.

However the best thing about LastFM is the number of new artists and tracks that I have discovered whilst listening to the radio. I love the way it plays tracks that you know and love with new tracks you don't know (but in theory should love) thrown in as well. Brilliant.

Paul Webster
2008-09-21, 23:49
I love the way it plays tracks that you know and love with new tracks you don't know (but in theory should love) thrown in as well. Brilliant.
I guess it will be suggesting a lot of R.E.M. for you at the moment!
Looks like something was going wrong on 20th - with a huge number of plays of "I'm Gonna DJ" - including being interspersed with other tracks. Implies to me that you are scrobbling from more than one source and one of them was in repeat mode.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-21, 23:53
I too find the radio stations amazing... it does improve with time (and I wonder if loving and banning tracks enhances your profile too?). Since I got SC 7.2 and the Boom I've been listening to a lot more Last.fm radio, to the extent that I'm getting worried about bandwidth costs!

I didn't realise that the scip limit was built into the software, I thought it was a function of the Last.fm service... that's definitely a reason to use the older third party plugin.

MC

mattybain
2008-09-22, 00:29
I guess it will be suggesting a lot of R.E.M. for you at the moment!
Looks like something was going wrong on 20th - with a huge number of plays of "I'm Gonna DJ" - including being interspersed with other tracks. Implies to me that you are scrobbling from more than one source and one of them was in repeat mode.

Wow I didn't know you cared ;) like MikeekiM said LastFM has it's problems like when you accidentally leave something on repeat. And yes I scrobble from multiple sources like anyone who has more than 1 squeezebox.

Actually I was going to add that my profile is completely wacked as it has about 120,000 more scrobbles than it is supposed to. LastFM couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it dispite multiple requests.

It has basically left my charts useless so I don't bother cleaning up when things like REM happen. However as my radio seems unaffected it doesn't really bother me.

And more REM would suit me fine, best band in the world, loved them since 1987 :)

mattybain
2008-09-22, 00:31
I didn't realise that the scip limit was built into the software, I thought it was a function of the Last.fm service... that's definitely a reason to use the older third party plugin.

MC

Not 100% sure but I think it is built into the offical plugin and that is it. Certainly the LastFM client or web radio (or IPhone plugin) doesn't have the limit. The only time I have seen it is the offical plugin.

jjsqueeze
2008-09-22, 12:54
Hi,

Since the SC code is open source, can someone make an updated version of the last.fm plugin without the #skips restriction ?

Cheers,

jjsqueeze

Themis
2008-09-22, 13:02
Lastfm is not accurate for me : I listen a lot of album-rock (you know: these over-twenty-minutes-tracks) so my statistics don't reflect my listening habits... :( If I happen to listen to a "normal" album once or twice, it takes easily precedence over my habits.

Not a real problem, though. ;)

mattybain
2008-09-23, 00:28
Hi,

Since the SC code is open source, can someone make an updated version of the last.fm plugin without the #skips restriction ?

Cheers,

jjsqueeze

There is one already it's the old lastfm plugin which is still available to download and use. Try http://www.jamescraig.co.uk/SlimServer/lastfm.html

Nonreality
2008-09-23, 01:45
Wow I didn't know you cared ;) like MikeekiM said LastFM has it's problems like when you accidentally leave something on repeat. And yes I scrobble from multiple sources like anyone who has more than 1 squeezebox.

Actually I was going to add that my profile is completely wacked as it has about 120,000 more scrobbles than it is supposed to. LastFM couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it dispite multiple requests.

It has basically left my charts useless so I don't bother cleaning up when things like REM happen. However as my radio seems unaffected it doesn't really bother me.

And more REM would suit me fine, best band in the world, loved them since 1987 :)Mine has a lot of "wrong" scrobbles. Like whenever my son plays music or I leave it on with repeat without kinowing. It also doesn't get it right when I leave pandora on all night. It doesn't read my mind as well as it should. Damn thing. haha Overall though it seems to catch the gist of my listening habits with a few errors. Some of the ways to fix things I'm sure they are working on but overall I think it's a pretty cool site. I'm trying to out listen my son to get it inline so all is well. :)

Khuli
2008-09-23, 01:51

Where's the option for that? I've not seen again it since they removed it a couple of years ago.

simbo
2008-09-23, 02:10
Where's the option for that? I've not seen again it since they removed it a couple of years ago.
Go to your profile (http://www.last.fm/user/[yourname]), click on the little cogwheel that appears when you hover over a track and select Remove from your Library.

MikeekiM
2008-09-23, 08:33
Go to your profile (http://www.last.fm/user/[yourname]), click on the little cogwheel that appears when you hover over a track and select Remove from your Library.

I think there is a grace period for deletion...once you pass that period, it becomes a part of your permanent record (sounds a bit like school records, huh?) :)

I did go in and ended up deleting 5 hours of Tracy Chapman repeats the other day...