PDA

View Full Version : Problems Switching from SqueezeCenter to SqueezeNetwork...

MikeekiM
2008-09-21, 07:43
I am having a problem switching from the SqueezeCenter to the SqueezeNetwork... But only the first time after the Boom has not logged into the SqueezeNetwork for a little while... Let me explain...

My boom is connected to my computer via the SqueezeCenter 90% of the time... But when the computer is off, I (obviously) need to switch over to the SqueezeNetwork... When I do that, it tries to connect...and turns itself off (displaying the clock)... And if my computer is off, it continues to have a hard time logging into the SqueezeNetwork, and keeps turning itself off...

When I have the computer on, it also behaves this way the first time I switch, but after this first time, I can turn it on and switch between the SqueezeNetwork and the SqueezeCenter (assuming my computer is on) without any hassles...

Any ideas what's up?

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-23, 06:56
How is your network arranged?

Are you using a router or is Boom somehow connected to the Internet through your computer? This would be through "Internet Connection Sharing" or bridged connections, look in Network Connections for a bridged connection.

MikeekiM
2008-09-23, 12:17
How is your network arranged?

Are you using a router or is Boom somehow connected to the Internet through your computer? This would be through "Internet Connection Sharing" or bridged connections, look in Network Connections for a bridged connection.

All booms are connected directly to router via 802.11g wireless... no bridged connection...

Again, it works fine once I have established the connection with the SN...but when I make that initial connection after being disconnected for some time, it seems to turn itself off...

nycblue
2008-09-24, 10:20
I am also experiencing the same problem. Essentially the Boom will only connect to the Squeezenetwork or Squeezecenter (obviously) if my Mac is switched on.

If the Mac is off then the Boom will try to connect to the Squeezenetwork, fail and then switch itself off. If the Mac is on then it connects everytime. I am using a Linksys WRT54G router with DHCP and as far as I am aware there is no shared or bridged Internet connection with another device.

My assumption was that I could use the Boom and Squeezenetwork without a PC/Mac being on as well so have I misconfigured something or is my assumption wrong ?

Mark Lanctot
2008-09-24, 10:28
My assumption was that I could use the Boom and Squeezenetwork without a PC/Mac being on as well so have I misconfigured something or is my assumption wrong ?

No, that's correct, you should be able to access SN with your SC off.

I don't have any other suggestions except look for duplicate IP addresses on your LAN.

MikeekiM
2008-09-24, 14:04
I am also experiencing the same problem. Essentially the Boom will only connect to the Squeezenetwork or Squeezecenter (obviously) if my Mac is switched on.

If the Mac is off then the Boom will try to connect to the Squeezenetwork, fail and then switch itself off. If the Mac is on then it connects everytime. I am using a Linksys WRT54G router with DHCP and as far as I am aware there is no shared or bridged Internet connection with another device.

Thank you for confirming that I am not the only one experiencing this problem :)

MickeyG
2008-09-24, 14:51
Entered as bug 9579. Please add more info there or add your e-mail to the cc list.

Mickey

sSNICKERSs
2008-09-25, 04:48
I've noticed that :

I use my Boom connected to SqueezeCenter. I set my Boom and PC off. I set my Boom on : it tries to connect to SqueezeCenter, can't... and shut off.
Perhaps, my Boom should ask if it can connect to SqueezeNetwork when it doesn't find SqueezeCenter instead of power off ?
What do you think of that ?

(sorry for my english).

Biermichel
2008-09-25, 05:57
I use a SBC for managing my Boom.

In menu of SBC (using the Boom as player) you can't switch between Squeezenetwork an the local SqueezeCenter. It can only be done by using the Boom's interface directly.

Seems to me that the SBC is not fully integrated yet or is it a bug?

toby10
2008-09-25, 07:44
I am having a problem switching from the SqueezeCenter to the SqueezeNetwork... But only the first time after the Boom has not logged into the SqueezeNetwork for a little while... Let me explain...

My boom is connected to my computer via the SqueezeCenter 90% of the time... But when the computer is off, I (obviously) need to switch over to the SqueezeNetwork... When I do that, it tries to connect...and turns itself off (displaying the clock)... And if my computer is off, it continues to have a hard time logging into the SqueezeNetwork, and keeps turning itself off...

When I have the computer on, it also behaves this way the first time I switch, but after this first time, I can turn it on and switch between the SqueezeNetwork and the SqueezeCenter (assuming my computer is on) without any hassles...

Any ideas what's up?

At Boom power on press and hold the LEFT arrow button on your remote. Scroll through the menu options to Connect to SN. Works fine on my Boom.

This is the same behavior as the SB3. There was some discussion a while back to add a menu item in SS (now SC) to choose a start up behavior of the unit, but I don't think it ever got to the development stage. Some suggested options to select at start up:

- Remember where I was when I powered down the unit (SC or SN)
- Always connect to either SC or SN (choose one) at power up
- Always ask me at power up which to connect too (SC or SN)

ChrisOwens
2008-11-21, 16:36
Are people still seeing this? It's quite mysterious to me. Squeezenetwork *is* a Squeezecenter, and a Squeezebox should be equally happy to connect to it or a local Squeezecenter machine. It's caused us great pain that the two are so separate, that you can only be connected to one or the other.

You're not using your PC as the gateway to your internet connection are you? That is, the PC (or mac) is connected via one of the 'LAN' ports (or via wireless) to the router, and so is the squeezebox? Because if the PC is connected to the internet and the router to the PC, then that would certainly explain it.

I assume everyone has their router on a different power strip than their PC :).

I haven't heard of this, but are there routers that go into a power saving mode of some kind?

Let's see, what other things could it be. I assume the router is also acting as DHCP server, and not the PC?

fcm4711
2010-01-20, 05:45
Hi there

Just a thought, could it be that you are using an Internet service that needs an ISP specific page opened in a browser to keep the Internet connection alive?

I know of such services at least in Switzerland where the user has a regular DSL modem, but still pays per hour of usage and therefore when the PC / Mac is shut down (and the browser with it) the Internet connection is terminated too.

Felix

COMike
2010-01-20, 10:36
Felix

I have worked with my ISP to make sure all of the setups are correct. I pay
a flat fee for my service per month for unlimited access. Yesterday I made
a decision to change ISP providers, so in 6 days we will see if that makes
any type of difference.

Another interesting note is that when I play KOA (Denver, CO) on the server
it comes in clear, but when I play it on Squeeze.com it comes in like you
are listening to a regular radio from 500 miles away. Interesting, but I
see what happens with the ISP change.