PDA

View Full Version : Just installed my Squeezebox Duet..Love it...but got a ?

dtt
2008-09-20, 21:44
How do I get the duet to read and play stuff off of my Ipod?

That is where all my music is.

Thanks!

SuperQ
2008-09-20, 23:23
Everything is played through SqueezeCenter. SqueezeCenter can access iTunes, not the iPod itself. If you have music that is only on the iPod, and not in iTunes you will have to get it copied off the iPod. There are a number of tools out there to do that.

dtt
2008-09-20, 23:35
Everything is played through SqueezeCenter. SqueezeCenter can access iTunes, not the iPod itself. If you have music that is only on the iPod, and not in iTunes you will have to get it copied off the iPod. There are a number of tools out there to do that.

Ok I downloaded squeezecenter and all that shows up on my computer is a little icon in the task bar.....what am I missing here?

SuperQ
2008-09-20, 23:51
Ok I downloaded squeezecenter and all that shows up on my computer is a little icon in the task bar.....what am I missing here?

Click on it? It should open your browser to http://127.0.0.1:9000 and let you start setup.

dtt
2008-09-21, 00:10
ok, got the setup all done...but whne I go to use the remote and look under Music Library there is no links to the music that squeezecenter found.

I searched on the remote but could not find anything....

andynormancx
2008-09-21, 00:15
Are you sure that when you look in the SqueezeCenter web interface that there is music showing under Music Library.

dtt
2008-09-21, 00:17
Are you sure that when you look in the SqueezeCenter web interface that there is music showing under Music Library.

Yes...

I think I may have figured out something...

If I want to switch from Sirius to my Music Library do I have to go to settings each time to switch the source of the music from the Hard Drive to the Squeezenetwork?

That can and will be very cumbersome....

andynormancx
2008-09-21, 01:37
No, you can still access Sirius under the Internet Radio menu when connected to your SqueezeCenter server, as long as you have setup the SqueezeNetwork settings in SqueezeCenter.

amcluesent
2008-09-21, 02:05
>How do I get the duet to read and play stuff off of my Ipod?<

It'll pay you to read the beginner's guide - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BeginnersGuide

dtt
2008-09-21, 08:07
>How do I get the duet to read and play stuff off of my Ipod?<

It'll pay you to read the beginner's guide - http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/BeginnersGuide

Thanks for that link....am I to understand that if I purchased music from Itunes that I cannot play that music? Only music that is a direct mp3 format?

If that is correct, it seem kind of useless.....

Eric Seaberg
2008-09-21, 08:44
Yes, anything you bought from iTunes with DRM will NOT play on the Duet. If you purchased it as iTunes Plus (non DRM) it will play, as well as non DRM downloads from Amazon and, of course, the rips you do yourself.

It's an Apple/RIAA issue, not a SqueezeCenter issue.

toby10
2008-09-21, 09:00
Thanks for that link....am I to understand that if I purchased music from Itunes that I cannot play that music? Only music that is a direct mp3 format?

Yes, DRM is useless. :)

I don't use iTunes (for the very reason/problem you are experiencing) but I believe both Apple lossy and lossless are supported on SD products as long as they are not DRM'd.
Like most third party devices I believe DRM is not supported in most cases, regardless of DRM format.

Furthermore, like most third party devices, I believe even DRM free Apple formats require additional transcoding, if that matters to you. :)

dtt
2008-09-21, 09:57
So I guess what I need to get is an ipod dock with an audio output (optical preffered) and use it as an input into my receiver.

It will have to be controlled from either the Ipod Dock remote that comes with it or a universal remote.

So much for having the duet control that also. Well you cannot have it all!

From what I am reading even with the itunes on a central server the squeezebox cannot play the DRM stuff from the itunes server.

Only the dock solutions seems to be the way to go.

Is there a dock that makes an Ipod possible to be navigated through the squeezebox or is that the same situation?

Is having the Ipod dock hooked directly up to the receiver the only real way to go? Therefore going around all the DRM stuff.

what_to_buy
2008-09-21, 10:06
I have read other posts where people suggest burning CDs of your DRM'd music and then ripping those CDs back to your computer. That removes the DRM, and then they will play through squeezecenter.

dtt
2008-09-21, 10:08
I have read other posts where people suggest burning CDs of your DRM'd music and then ripping those CDs back to your computer. That removes the DRM, and then they will play through squeezecenter.

True but that assumes:

a) I have all my CD's still

b) I have all my music on CD versus items I purchased from itunes directly

c) I have the time or the patience to re-rip all my music

See I have over 50 GB of music on the Ipod already. I just want to be able to plug in the Ipod and search it and play the music I want off of it.

Hope that makes sense.

toby10
2008-09-21, 10:20
So I guess what I need to get is an ipod dock with an audio output (optical preffered) and use it as an input into my receiver.

It will have to be controlled from either the Ipod Dock remote that comes with it or a universal remote.

So much for having the duet control that also. Well you cannot have it all!

From what I am reading even with the itunes on a central server the squeezebox cannot play the DRM stuff from the itunes server.

Only the dock solutions seems to be the way to go.

Is there a dock that makes an Ipod possible to be navigated through the squeezebox or is that the same situation?

Is having the Ipod dock hooked directly up to the receiver the only real way to go? Therefore going around all the DRM stuff.

And there in lies one of the *real* reasons for source specific DRM: forcing you to buy ONLY that source's (in this case Apple) branded devices and products.

There are not-so-legit workarounds for this problem that could (if you chose to do so) eventually lead to you abandoning iTunes all together and opening a whole new world of Apple-free choices, starting with removing the DRM from your DRM iTunes songs.

There may well be an iPod dock workaround solution for use with your Duet as well, I dunno. But I kind of doubt it as the iPod would (I presume) also have proprietary interfacing and encoding to deal with.

dtt
2008-09-21, 10:24
And there in lies one of the *real* reasons for source specific DRM: forcing you to buy ONLY that source's (in this case Apple) branded devices and products.

There are not-so-legit workarounds for this problem that could (if you chose to do so) eventually lead to you abandoning iTunes all together and opening a whole new world of Apple-free choices, starting with removing the DRM from your DRM iTunes songs.

There may well be an iPod dock workaround solution for use with your Duet as well, I dunno. But I kind of doubt it as the iPod would (I presume) also have proprietary interfacing and encoding to deal with.

I have never found a GOOD and REAL solution to removing the DRM from my Itunes Music. Trying a google search on that subject brings up such crap software that I have stopped even trying!

Any suggestions would be great....PM me or email at deathtotoasters@gmail.com if you have any ideas.

The one thing I like about itunes is the availability of the rare songs I cannot find in other places.

toby10
2008-09-21, 10:25

There used to be a free software product out there that did the same thing without having to rip to CD's. It was kind of an underground download as it is used to illegally remove the legal DRM.
Maybe the OP can google it, assuming it is still out there..........somewhere. :)

dtt
2008-09-21, 10:27
Also are there any 3rd party hack apps for the duet that allow ipod control?

Phil Leigh
2008-09-21, 10:28

Yes - you have just learned rule 1 of computer-based audio:
"Do not EVER buy anything with DRM".

You should direct your righteous indignation towards Apple (and the record companies) who have left you in this mess.

There are ways to fix your situation...Google can be your friend.
You won't find them posted on these fora.

toby10
2008-09-21, 10:47
I have never found a GOOD and REAL solution to removing the DRM from my Itunes Music. Trying a google search on that subject brings up such crap software that I have stopped even trying!

Any suggestions would be great....PM me or email at deathtotoasters@gmail.com if you have any ideas.

The one thing I like about itunes is the availability of the rare songs I cannot find in other places.

Hopefully someone will PM you a good solution source. I've only heard of the existence of this software, never used it nor do I even know the name. I'd also be careful that it doesn't do any more than simply remove the DRM (i.e. mess with the audio quality, etc...).

I've always heard great things about iTunes and Apple products, particularly in their quality and ease of use! I'm not knocking them. I just have a real problem with products and services that "lock" you in to only their products (or the very small handful of licensed products) to utilize what you have already paid for.

Imagine if you purchased a Panasonic HDTV, only to find out after the fact that now you are limited to ONLY Panasonic video products & devices to utilize with your TV?

Or imagine if you purchased a CD player only to find out, due to "unique encoding", that you can only play Sony label releases and artists on?

Oddly, both examples above (not exact correlation to DRM obviously) would create consumer OUTRAGE and would not be tolerated. Yet many of those same people seem to be ok with it when it comes to music DL's. *shrug*

I'm all for protecting artists and labels from illegal music purchases, they deserve their share. But having numerous different DRM encodings unique to specific sources (Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, whatever) is simply insane and creates the very problem you are experiencing. :(