PDA

View Full Version : Alien BBC and a newbie

Labarum
2008-09-20, 13:10
I have installed Squeezecentre on the PC in the study which hosts my FLAC files, and Softsqueeze in the lounge where there is a Shuttle PC hiding behind the TV. The plan is to replace this with a SB.

No problem streaming the FLAC library.

I can receive some radio stations and have installed Alien BBC. First install did not work and the Pluggin page reported incompatibility problems so I manually copied the latest files over.

Now I can receive some BBC stuff, notable the Listen Again files, but the system is very unstable and I get error messages. I can hear the intro words to BBC 3 live stream, but then the programme does not come.

With the move to iPlayer I guess we are in catchup mode. As a newbie would I be best to wait until a stable install routine is posted? Or am I doing something gloriously wrong and need to put some more effort in now?

It's no big issue at the moment, because I have not bought my SB Classic yet, and can listen to BBC on FM or from the Virgin Media Box; so, if a wait of a few weeks will give me a one click solution, I might as well wait.

bpa
2008-09-20, 13:51
What OS ?
Wgat version of SC ?
What version of AlienBBC ?

Veesion 2.02 of AlienBBC is up to date with iPlayer and has two differentr method to get programs. The "Alternate" menu is independent of iPlayer web site.

If you got incompatibilities warning then you must have installed the wrong version of AlienBBC for your SC version.

I think Radio 3 has just introduced an "ident" message before a program. This is new on radio 3 previously only on Radio 2. I think the radio3 ident needs to be added to the "ident" list in AlienBBC settings.

Labarum
2008-09-21, 04:40
What OS ?
Wgat version of SC ?
What version of AlienBBC ?

Veesion 2.02 of AlienBBC is up to date with iPlayer and has two differentr method to get programs. The "Alternate" menu is independent of iPlayer web site.

If you got incompatibilities warning then you must have installed the wrong version of AlienBBC for your SC version.

I think Radio 3 has just introduced an "ident" message before a program. This is new on radio 3 previously only on Radio 2. I think the radio3 ident needs to be added to the "ident" list in AlienBBC settings.

Thanks for your response.

XP fully updated
SC 7.2
Alien BBC v2.2b1-7.1_7.2

Where do I find Alien BBC settings, and how do I add the "indent"

Do these streams really match the quality of the stream of a Virgin Media box?

I seem to be getting some stuttering and unreliable connections to streams - the broadband connection ought to be up to it.

bpa
2008-09-21, 12:22
Since you are in the UK you should use the WMA streams as they will lessen load on server and can be used over SqueezeNetwork - See Internet Radio/Staff Picks/Webcaster/BBC.

Quality of streams - I cannot say vs Virgin but at the moment they are 64kbps which is not great.

Stuttering etc. seem to be a current problem with some UK users of RealAudio streams - the WMA streams are supposed to be better. Stuttering should only be happening with live streams.

I have broadband problems at the moment and so cannot give any info about the ident.

Labarum
2008-09-21, 12:44
Thanks.

I have it working a little better now. A lot to learn!

Virgin stream radio at 128K in MP2. That is at least as good as FM via my Quad tuner, but its probably not a fair comparison as the RF input is off the cable. TV and FM reception is unusable from my present house.

bpa
2008-09-30, 03:42
I can hear the intro words to BBC 3 live stream, but then the programme does not come.

Radio 3 has added an ident (possibly only to non-UK) but AlienBBC should continue to play live stream once ident has been played.

To get AlienBBC to skip the ident.

1. Open Settings/Plugins/AlienBBC
2. At the bottom there is a blank text box underneath a text box with r2online_id.rm which is the Radio 2 ident.
3. Enter r3g2ident.rm into the empty text box.
4. Click Apply and a new blank text box should appear under the entry you just made.

No need to restart SC but internal caches means that you should wait about 5 mins before testing. The Radio 3 ident message will now be ignored and playing Radio 3 should start immediately.