PDA

View Full Version : Is there a markert for a SqueezeWiz?

Mike Meyer
2008-09-20, 11:10
Wiz = Walkman/iPod/Zune, or a portable player.

I know, I know, the Boom just came out, give them a break. The Boom looks great and I can't wait to get one. It also made me think about what they could come up with next? Is there a market for a portable Slim device to be used with headphones? Or does the iPeng/cell phone/Controller options make one unnecessary?

I could envision a small portable that you use around the house via WiFi that connects to SC and you can get to all your music and internet radio stations. Maybe the fact that it would be limited to the WiFi range of your house would limit the interest? I know people would want a built in hard drive to take the music on the go but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Like I said, maybe there are already things out there that can be connected to SC that perform this function well enough. I bet this company would produce a pretty cool product though.

Any one have thoughts on this?

pfarrell
2008-09-20, 11:20
Mike Meyer wrote:
> Wiz = Walkman/iPod/Zune, or a portable player.
>
> I could envision a small portable that you use around the house via
> WiFi that connects to SC and you can get to all your music and internet
> radio stations. Maybe the fact that it would be limited to the WiFi
> range of your house would limit the interest?

> Any one have thoughts on this?

Didn't you just describe a Controller with a working headphone jack?

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Mike Meyer
2008-09-20, 11:31
That's what I was wondering. It very well could be.

I was thinking the form factor of the Controller was a remote control since that is what it's main purpose was and not a smaller portable device. So maybe just the form factor would be different. And I'm not sure how much effort was put into having great sound from the headphone jack on it.

pfarrell
2008-09-20, 11:44
Mike Meyer wrote:
> That's what I was wondering. It very well could be.

Actually, the Controller can be more than just WiFi. It takes SD cards,
so you could, with a SMOP, load a 4 or 32 GB of tunes to the SD card,
and use it like an iPod.

I expect the headphone jack to start working RSN

--
Pat Farrell

Mike Meyer
2008-09-20, 12:01
Actually, the Controller can be more than just WiFi. It takes SD cards,
so you could, with a SMOP, load a 4 or 32 GB of tunes to the SD card,
and use it like an iPod.

That sounds very nice! Thanks Pat. Looks like they've got the portable device covered then.

TurnipMan
2008-09-20, 12:06
I reckon that the type of person that would like that sort of thing would already have a pretty capable mobile phone.
I managed to make my Windows Mobile jobby connect up to my slimserver where ever I had a 3G signal or WiFi round the home, it was just a bit clunky a slow web interface controlling the music selection with an app that could connect to the stream.mp3 facility. It just did not work completely smoothly- missed the first track sometimes etc. It was also against the Ts and Cs of my T-Mobile web and walk tariff.
It was pretty cool having a a Terra byte mp3 player though, beat all the ipods out there hands down.
It should be possible to write something for at least the symbian and WM platforms that would work better. The ability to select and dl some stuff transcoded to mp3s to storage on the device would be good too.

Is there already something that does this well?

Tom

pfarrell
2008-09-20, 12:25
Mike Meyer wrote:
> That sounds very nice! Thanks Pat. Looks like they've got the
> portable device covered then.

The Controller is a very impressive computer. But, and this is a big
but, the headphone jack doesn't work.

And some iPod namo folks might say its way too big.

Doesn't an iPod Touch do a lot of what you are looking for? They are
expensive.

--
Pat Farrell

Mike Meyer
2008-09-20, 12:55
Doesn't an iPod Touch do a lot of what you are looking for? They are
expensive.

I haven't researched too many of the portables out there other than the basic mp3 players. I'm not sure if some of them would connect to the same internet services that I can from the SqueezeCenter. I've been listening to a lot of Pandora lately and Last.fm is nice too. It would be nice to just connect to my existing SqueezeCenter library and all of its functionality, including the internet services. The optional SD card would be a nice bonus. Maybe the Controller is too close of a match to justify a new product.

toby10
2008-09-20, 14:09
I haven't researched too many of the portables out there other than the basic mp3 players. I'm not sure if some of them would connect to the same internet services that I can from the SqueezeCenter. I've been listening to a lot of Pandora lately and Last.fm is nice too. It would be nice to just connect to my existing SqueezeCenter library and all of its functionality, including the internet services. The optional SD card would be a nice bonus. Maybe the Controller is too close of a match to justify a new product.

I think the closest you will get right now is the Slacker portable player and service.

https://store.slacker.com/store/Portables.do

8 gb, 4,000 song capacity, WiFi, USB, loads Slacker radio stations, Pandora "like or dislike" type personalizing, car adapter.

I suppose if you could take that player, interface it with SC and SN, you would pretty much have what you are looking for. :)

Mike Meyer
2008-09-22, 06:46
I think the closest you will get right now is the Slacker portable player and service.

I suppose if you could take that player, interface it with SC and SN, you would pretty much have what you are looking for. :)

That does look like a nice player. I think the last time I looked at Slacker they didn't really have the metal genre that I'm looking for.

But you are right, that is what I am looking for with the SqueezeWiz, an interface to SC and SN. :)