PDA

View Full Version : Switching from a wireless network to a wired

malcolm4
2008-09-19, 20:04
When I set up my Boom a couple days ago, it was in the kitchen where there is no cat-5 network jack, so I set it up to connect to my wireless network.

Now it is permanently situated in the bedroom, which is quite far away from the wireless base station (signal quality only 25%). BUT the bedroom has a cat-5 jack! So I have plugged the boom into the network with a cat-5 cable.

Thus far I have been unable to determine whether the Boom automatically realizes it is now connected to a wired network, and ceases trying to use the wireless signal - or whether I need to tell it to do so. And if so, how would I do that?

Second question (I think related): the screen on the Boom periodically freezes for several seconds. During this time it will not respond to any inputs on either the remote or the front panel. Is this because the thing is trying to use the poor wireless signal? Or is this just a design flaw?

Thank you,
Malcolm4
new Boom owner

SuperQ
2008-09-19, 21:07
Press and hold the left arrow button for a few seconds, it will go back into network setup mode. From there you can select use ethernet network. It won't automatically switch afaik.

The freezing is likely due to wifi networking that is still on. The Boom (and other squeezebox devices) are completely slaved to the server software for "what to do" updates. This is "working as intended" as the CPU in the Boom is very lightweight, and it adds to the extreme flexibility of the box. Did you know if you don't like what a button on the remote does, you can do a reasonably simple change on the server to remap the button's function to another? Like, the 1-5 buttons are for favorites, but you could remap them to set brightness levels. :-)

Phil Leigh
2008-09-19, 23:55
That's odd - I thought that wif-fi Slim devices detected an ethernet connection and automatically used that in preference to the wi-fi card (which is disabled in that configuration).

malcolm4
2008-09-20, 06:03
That's odd - I thought that wif-fi Slim devices detected an ethernet connection and automatically used that in preference to the wi-fi card (which is disabled in that configuration).

I agree this is the case IF the cat5 cable is connected during initial setup. But presumably, once it has been connected to a wireless network, it doesn't constantly recheck to see if a wired network has appeared?

andyg
2008-09-20, 06:07
On Sep 20, 2008, at 9:03 AM, malcolm4 wrote:

>
> Phil Leigh;342230 Wrote:
>> That's odd - I thought that wif-fi Slim devices detected an ethernet
>> connection and automatically used that in preference to the wi-fi
>> card
>> (which is disabled in that configuration).
>
> I agree this is the case IF the cat5 cable is connected during initial
> setup. But presumably, once it has been connected to a wireless
> network, it doesn't constantly recheck to see if a wired network has
> appeared?

No, you need to go to Set Up Networking and choose Ethernet.

Rembo
2008-10-07, 23:52
The same for me: I have a fixed Transporter and a moving Boom, but I need to reconfigure networking every time I switch from wired to wireless. I may be Okay for a networking engineer like me but don't ask my wife and kids to do it.
I think it would be infinitely more convenient if the Boom would choose the last wifi profiles ONLY if there's no wired connection.
By the way: storing different wifi profiles: home, office, pool, mom, would also ease our lives.

dwilliams01
2008-10-08, 05:20
I'd vote for auto switching to wired if it is available (and not in wireless bridge mode). I'd really love the ability to have wireless profiles stored - it is VERY inconvienent to move outside of the house as it is.

Have these been entered in as enhancements yet?