PDA

View Full Version : SB3 vs Revo Mondo

403gl
2008-09-19, 13:57
Having just dropped $350 for a Boom I'm pretty satisfied so far, despite it being a glorified satelite radio. I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with the Revo Mondo, which has pretty much the same features as SB3...but $100+ less

Can anybody shed some light on performance/quality comparisons so that I feel better on having bought the SB3 instead of its cheaper compeitors?

radish
2008-09-19, 14:43
Screen looks very poor by comparison, no digital outs, no mention of audio quality anywhere, no support for useful formats like FLAC, file playback seems to be via SMB or UPnP only - which is very limiting (for example no search function) and obviously no SC support means no plugins etc.

danco
2008-09-20, 10:58
You may not want to use the SB as more than a "glorified satellite radio". So it may not be the best value for you. There's always the thirty-day return policy.

But that's not its main purpose. It really comes into its own when used to play audio that's been ripped to your computer.

Kiwi
2008-09-20, 17:14
Having just dropped $350 for a SB3 I'm pretty satisfied so far, despite it being a glorified satelite radio. I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with the Revo Mondo, which has pretty much the same features as SB3...but $100+ less

Can anybody shed some light on performance/quality comparisons so that I feel better on having bought the SB3 instead of its cheaper compeitors?

Post this in the relevant forum, this is for SB Boom

Paul Webster
2008-09-21, 03:10
If the original poster is primarily interested in internet radio - then I think that the comparison is closer than suggested by some of the earlier comments.

The audio quality of internet radio is generally quite low. I suspect that a lack of digital-out is going to make much difference.
The built-in support for RealAudio is a benefit (no need to add a home-based server to transcode).

The radio database is organised by country and also by genre - so no need to first pick a provider.

For anglophiles - The radio station database includes BBC "listen again" content.

It is definitely less open than a SqueezeCenter-based system but for internet radio listening this is less important - plus it can connect to SqueezeCenter as a dumb streaming device (and you could use the web-interface (etc) to SqueezeCenter to select what to play).

Also - as a general comment - using SMB or UPnP does not necessarily mean that there is no "Search" function. I don't know if the Revo Mondo does provide the facility, but the mechanisms chosen do not preclude it being implemented in software (other Reciva-based devices can generate an index file which is stored on the SMB share). However, the SMB capability of these radios does seem to have technical limitations - and SqueezeCenter does provide better support for playback of local files.

FLAC is supported in recent versions of the Reciva firmware - but I do not know which version is in the Revo Mondo.
(I have 2 Reciva-based devices and 2 Squeezeboxes ... I would have had 4 Squeezeboxes without even experimenting with Reciva if the confirmation of the plan to build the Squeezebox Boom had been available around 18 months ago)

Nonreality
2008-09-21, 06:08
Having just dropped $350 for a SB3 I'm pretty satisfied so far, despite it being a glorified satelite radio. I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with the Revo Mondo, which has pretty much the same features as SB3...but $100+ less

It's not a glorified satellite radio just because you just use it for that. You could say the same thing about a car if you just sat in the driveway and just used the radio and never drove it. It doesn't mean you are right. If that is all you are going to use it for then maybe you over bought. I'd return it if you are not happy. You might want to try the other features which are a major reason to own it. I use the radio feature about 20% of the time.