PDA

View Full Version : Wrong self-assigned IP for SB Duet receiver

d60pdp
2008-09-18, 18:06
Trying to resolve networking problems with my SB Duet after upgraded to 7.2, I performed a factory reset on both SB Duet receiver and controller.

1. When restarting, the SB Duet receiver got a self-assigned IP 169.254.83.181 while my network IP is 192.168.1.xxx. Using a static IP won't help either.
2. Another problem is the receiver could not connect to my music sources, and the controller immediately switch to the old named player since it is still in Squeezecenter. Should the old named player be deleted in SC and if it should, then how? I've tried, but failed to delete the old player name.

What am I doing wrong? Please help correcting it. Thanks.

Ross L
2008-09-18, 18:27
Sounds like a networking problem. First off self assigned IPs will look like that, 169...etc. If you're seeing this option it means your controller isn't reaching DHCP. Could be a few reasons for this, number one reason that comes to my mind would be WEP encryption failure, do you use WEP?

Things to try:
1. Factory reset Controller and Receiver (hold front button for 6 seconds until it blinks rapidly)
2. Go through setup again, if it fails, consider disabling encryption temporarily as a diagnostic. If that works, double-check your encryption.
3. If it still fails take a look at the router, is DHCP enabled? Everything seem normal? Might want to reset the router too.

d60pdp
2008-09-18, 18:56
Thanks. I'll try again, but I don't have so much hope as stated below:

There are 2 wireless routers to provide 2 wireless networks in my house:
- one WEP-encrypted using Actiontec MI424WR b/g wireless router.
- one WPA2-encrypted using D-Link DIR-655 b/g/n wireless router.
I have tried to setup SB Duet on either systems without any result. The SB Controller connected successfully to either network. (Tried both, one after another, to test)

There should be no DHCP problem since I've had my SB Boom up and running good after upgrading to 7.2. Moreover, I have about 7 other wireless devices (camera, laptops, desktops, media extenders, ...) getting IPs successfully from the network. The problem with SB Duet only appears after upgrading to SC 7.2. Before that, it has been working great, without any problem, uing the old SlimSeverr (I have to upgrade to have the SB Boom working, and now Duet failed!).

BTW, how can I delete a player name in SC?

Howard Passman
2008-09-19, 02:22
Thanks. I'll try again, but I don't have so much hope as stated below:

- one WEP-encrypted using Actiontec MI424WR b/g wireless router.
- one WPA2-encrypted using D-Link DIR-655 b/g/n wireless router.
I have tried to setup SB Duet on either systems without any result. The SB Controller connected successfully to either network. (Tried both, one after another, to test)

There should be no DHCP problem since I've had my SB Boom up and running good after upgrading to 7.2. Moreover, I have about 7 other wireless devices (camera, laptops, desktops, media extenders, ...) getting IPs successfully from the network. The problem with SB Duet only appears after upgrading to SC 7.2. Before that, it has been working great, without any problem, uing the old SlimSeverr (I have to upgrade to have the SB Boom working, and now Duet failed!).

Boom sets up differently than DUET and much easier I might add. I had the same issue (and ip) when I first got my DUET and found that I had to shut DHCP off in **both** routers in order to statically address my controller. My mistake for a while was shutting just the one off I was trying to connect to. During the set up sequence I don't think the controller looks at the exact router you are trying to hit for a few critical moments. I may be wrong, but that's the way it appeared to me. It was obviously confused somehow that there was a DHCP signal out there, even if it couldn't use it. This junk is beyound me.

Good luck,

Howard

Ross L
2008-09-19, 17:32

I hope these networks are on different channels. :-)

You can change player name in the settings for that player in the web UI.

Duet uses DHCP if it is available, you'll only see static/self-assign options if DHCP is not enabled or the situation I described earlier, WEP encryption failure.

d60pdp, is DHCP enabled on your D-link?