PDA

View Full Version : Volume controls

403gl
2008-09-18, 10:45
I tried looking this up but there doesnt seem to be a solution/answer..

Is it possible to make the large dial in front the volume dial instead of having to press volume up / down?

My first instinct when I'm listening to music is always to 'turn' the dial to make it louder/softer...pressing volume up/down seems awkward!

thanks

soxfan
2008-09-18, 11:13
I'm sure someone else will give you a better answer than this, but I can tell you that I've found that sometimes the knob does act as the volume control. Haven't figured out what the scenarios are where it acts as the volume control and when it acts as a scroll yet though. I agree, my first instinct is to always turn the knob to adjust the volume.

Triode
2008-09-18, 11:23
It tries to be clever - if you enable the now playing screensaver while playing, then while the screensaver is operational the knob will act as volume.

The reason it needs to be clever is that you may also want to navigate up and down a list using the knob, so until the screensaver kicks in the knob acts as the navigation control.

The correct operation caused much debate during the beta test programme so additional feedback is appreciated....

dean
2008-09-18, 11:28
The knob acts as a volume control in two situations:

1. Right after you touch one of the volume buttons, while the volume
display is still up, you can turn the knob to adjust the volume. That
display will go away after a second or so, and at that point the knob
returns to navigation.

2. If Boom is playing music, after about 30 seconds a screensaver
will kick in, displaying the currently playing song (by default).
When this screensaver is up, turning the knob will adjust the volume.
Pressing the knob (or any other button) will wake out of this
screensaver, reverting the knob to navigation.

403gl
2008-09-18, 11:34
aside from an extra knob, i'll have to play around with it alittle more to understand its 'behavior'. I totally know what you mean by being smart, because the knob is great for scrolling through long lists,..
in terms of hardware revisions, maybe push in for station/list scroll and pull out for volume? (like the bass/treble knobs in old school car stereos)

i think a firmware update to fix the function of the push of the knob would be great. to select the station instead of having to press play to select...

Really happy with the box so far as far as its basic function as a stereo and sound quality are concerned , but wish the controls were a little more intuitive

MaXGTS
2008-09-18, 11:58
I set my screen saver to kick in 10 seconds, which makes using the large knob as the volume more natural.

fuzzyT
2008-09-18, 12:10
dean blackketter wrote:

> 1. Right after you touch one of the volume buttons, while the volume
> display is still up, you can turn the knob to adjust the volume.

I've adapted to this fact by developing a reflexive peck of the volume
up/down pad prior to going for the knob. I've only had it few days and
already it's automatic.

--rt

ModelCitizen
2008-09-18, 13:06
I've adapted to this fact by developing a reflexive peck of the volume
up/down pad prior to going for the knob. I've only had it few days and
already it's automatic.

Now that's a good idea! Like the geeza above I have my screensaver set to 10 seconds, purely so the knob acts for volume asap.

I'd also like to be able to hit the knob to turn the Boom on.. I've tried editing the map file to get it to do this but with no joy.

FYI.
During beta testing there was a great debate about the functionality of the knob. Originally it did nothing but navigation... not even volume. There is a feeling not to overload the knob with functionality because it makes it too hard for new users to get to grips with (and the Boom is directly headed for new Slim users).

MC

Mark Miksis
2008-09-18, 13:14
I'd also like to be able to hit the knob to turn the Boom on.. I've tried editing the map file to get it to do this but with no joy.

Putting this in a Custom.map should work:

[off]
knob_push.* = power_on

ModelCitizen
2008-09-18, 13:43
Putting this in a Custom.map should work:

[off]
knob_push.* = power_on

Thanks Fletch.
I already have this file written thus in C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\IR

But when I wake in the morning up and hit the knob the Boom does nothing at all.

MC

Mark Miksis
2008-09-18, 13:50
Did you enable the Custom.map under Settings->Player->Remote?

ModelCitizen
2008-09-18, 14:06
Settings->Player->Remote?only shows these options:

Front_Panel
Slim_Devices_Remote
jvc_dvd

MC

Mark Miksis
2008-09-18, 14:11
Below that, there should be a dropdown to select the default(standard) map or the custom map.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-19, 01:40
Well there isn't... or rather wasn't.... I've now messed around a bit (and used a different browser) and the drop down is now there and I can now wallop the knob and radio 4 starts immediately. Perfect. Thanks.

Ummm.. I don't suppose there is a way to make sure that hitting the knob when Boom is powered off will start the Boom playing a particular playlist is there? Currently, the way I have it, it'll only play the playlist that was being listened to when it was last shut down.

MC

Mark Miksis
2008-09-19, 03:37
Ummm.. I don't suppose there is a way to make sure that hitting the knob when Boom is powered off will start the Boom playing a particular playlist is there?

I guess you could map the knob push to, for example, playFavorite_1 instead of power_on.

ModelCitizen
2008-09-19, 06:07
I guess you could map the knob push to, for example, playFavorite_1 instead of power_on.
Cheers. I'll try that when i get back but it looks to me that it might not do what I what I want... which is.... to hit the knob when the Boom is off and to have it turn on and play BBC Radio 4 (yes, almost like a normal radio!).

MC

hussein
2008-09-19, 06:58
Would it not make sense to have Radio 4 as one of your favourite buttons, and then just press that? It would turn on the Boom and start playing, exactly what you are after but without the faffing around?

ModelCitizen
2008-09-19, 07:04
Oh. Does hitting a favourite button turn the Boom on (from an off state)? I didn't realise that...
However, I'd prefer to use the knob as it's nice and big and I can hit it in the morning without opening my eyes.
:-)

MC

ModelCitizen
2008-09-19, 13:24
The knob is hard.

My first instinct when I'm listening to music is always to 'turn' the dial to make it louder/softer...pressing volume up/down seems awkward!

I agree, my first instinct is to always turn the knob to adjust the volume.

I agree that the knob has to *do volume* but I am at a loss to see how this can be best squared with doing navigation (which it also *has* to do).

Personally I think the current implementation (as outlined above by head honcho Dean) is the best it an be. However, it'd be interesting to see what solutions others may have.

MC

403gl
2008-09-19, 13:53
The knob is hard.

I agree that the knob has to *do volume* but I am at a loss to see how this can be best squared with doing navigation (which it also *has* to do).

Personally I think the current implementation (as outlined above by head honcho Dean) is the best it an be. However, it'd be interesting to see what solutions others may have.

MC

With only one knob, it definitely would be more effective mapped as station navigational knob...Flipping through hundreds of folders and stations would suck by pressing up/down +/-

I've only begun to scratch the surface of the SB3, but I had no idea you can re-program the behavior of the buttons within Windows.. or can you??!!