PDA

View Full Version : Consolidating two separate Music Directories



Chewie
2008-09-18, 08:29
Over the years my music library has grown and grown first filling the remaining portion of one external 500GB usb2 drive and then over spilling and filling a second external 500GB usb2 drive.

I’ve just bought a WD 1Tb My Book Home Edition hard drive to consolidate my music onto a single drive, which is at present spread across the two separate external drives along with various other files. I plan to keep the two existing drives as off site back up's for my FLAC’s but can anyone offer some advice as to the best way to consolidate the two existing separate directories without having to resort to dragging and dropping individual files between the existing and new directories.


Both directories are running under Windows XP Home and are identical in structure i.e.

E or F:/FLACs/Interpol/Turn on the Bright Lights

Both obviously have some directories for the same bands but contain different albums.


Can any kind soul offer a solution for a relatively pain free transition.

Thanks in advance for any help.


Carl :-)

peter
2008-09-18, 10:35
Chewie wrote:
> Over the years my music library has grown and grown first filling the
> remaining portion of one external 500GB usb2 drive and then over
> spilling and filling a second external 500GB usb2 drive.
>
> Iíve just bought a WD 1Tb My Book Home Edition hard drive to
> consolidate my music onto a single drive, which is at present spread
> across the two separate external drives along with various other files.
> I plan to keep the two existing drives as off site back up's for my
> FLACís but can anyone offer some advice as to the best way to
> consolidate the two existing separate directories without having to
> resort to dragging and dropping individual files between the existing
> and new directories.
>
>
> Both directories are identical in structure i.e.
>
> E or F:/FLACs/Interpol/Turn on the Bright Lights
>
> Both obviously have some directories for the same bands but contain
> different albums.
>
>
> Can any kind soul offer a solution for a relatively pain free
> transition.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>

Assuming you're running Windows you can use Xcopy from the commandline,
OTOH, just dragging and dropping the whole tree should work, shouldn't
it? Using linux or OS/X 'cp -av' should do the trick.

Regards,
Peter

Wirrunna
2008-09-18, 13:59
Do a Google search for Synctoy.
It is a freebie from Microsoft originally designed to keep digital photo albums in sync.
It works well, allows you to preview what would be copied.

moley6knipe
2008-09-18, 14:10
Peter's right, just copy the whole tree from both drives on to the 1Tb. It'll only fall over where folders have the same path and file names in them, but that shouldn't be the case, yes? EDIT: even then it'll ask you what to do

And of course, as you've got the 2 drives as your source, you can't destroy the library in doing it, so give it a go!

Goodsounds
2008-09-18, 15:38
My suggestion is to keep the two 500 gb "sources" separate and identifiable on your new large drive, to simplify backups and identification.

If you have windows, I'll assume you're comfortable with windows explorer (to make new directories and move files, not internet explorer that is the web browser)

On your new drive, set up a directory - Music
Under that directory, two directories - Drive 1 (use whatever makes it easy for you, maybe the manufacturer of the drive if different from the second one) and Drive 2

Open a second explorer window, COPY the entire FLAC tree from actual drive one. PASTE into Drive 1 subdirectory of the new drive (maybe overnight, will take awhile). I feel better not using either drive while this is going on.

When that finishes, put your cursor on the FLAC tree on the second drive, COPY. Then PASTE into the drive 2 subdirectory on your new drive.

As suggested, there are programs to simplify backups. Me, I do it manually, it's easy enough to put the directories in chronological order, and then see what is on the main one that is not on the backups. I probably think to do that every few weeks.

Good luck

JJZolx
2008-09-18, 21:57
Like the others said, you should be able to just drag and drop. The only conflicts will be where you have the same full pathname.

Doing your backups, though, may prove difficult once you have everything in a single large folder. I assume you'll be clearing the two 500 GB drives at some point to be used for backups, with the plan being to backup 1/2 the library to one and 1/2 to the other in some orderly fashion. (Note: Only clear these drives after you're 1000% certain that the copy to the larger drive was successful.) For backup purposes you might want to organize the main drive in two parts, say:

E:\flac\A-M
E:\flac\N-Z

and place artists in the two folders so that they're roughly equal in size. Otherwise your backup script may have to specify each individual artist folder that it wants to backup to one drive or the other.

Chewie
2008-09-19, 02:53
Thanks for the input guys; youíve given plenty to go on. Iíve used Synctoy before so I will investigate that method but in sound like I should get away with a straight drag and drop, initially I will probably try that and see how I get on when I drop the second directory on the drive.

Thanks for all your help.


Carl