PDA

View Full Version : Boom - kitchen suitability

gb115b
2008-09-18, 07:35
Hi, so i got my boom really quickly...and although i like it, it's not really suiting my setup in the bedroom (too lo-fi over my SB3 / Denon Mini system setup)...

i love the kit though (would have been great to have made it battery powered so i could have taken it out to the patio...)

thinking of putting the boom in the kitchen, but i'm a bit worried about grease building up on it (as tends to happen with items in the kitchen)

anyone got any tips and tricks to keep it grease free?

JJZolx
2008-09-18, 08:31

Change your diet. If the stuff in your kitchen is getting so wrecked by grease, imagine what it's doing to your arteries.

MeSue
2008-09-18, 08:53
I wouldn't install it right above the cooktop, but if you just wipe it down every now and then, it should be fine. I like those pre-moistened Clorox wipes. But stick to a microfiber cloth on the lens.

JJZolx
2008-09-18, 08:59
I wouldn't install it right above the cooktop, but if you just wipe it down every now and then, it should be fine. I like those pre-moistened Clorox wipes. But stick to a microfiber cloth on the lens.

You can't wipe down the drivers. If whatever they're doing in the kitchen is depositing so much airborne gunk on the surface of the player that it needs to be wiped down, then it's also doing the same thing to the drivers. It will be ruined eventually - it's just question of how long it may take.

SuperQ
2008-09-18, 09:03
I always use one of these when pan frying. (or similar, I have a couple for different pan sizes)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SU1E

ccrome2
2008-09-18, 09:11
Many of us keep the Boom in our kitchens. I agree with Sue -- don't mount
it over your stove. that would be a bad idea. Other than that, I wouldn't
worry too much about it. The grills will stop most of the crud. Of course,
some could get down to the drivers, but I think it would take a really
greasy kitchen and a loooong time to spoil the drivers to such an extent
that you'd hear a difference.
-Caleb

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:59 AM, JJZolx <
JJZolx.3fxxhz1221753603 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> MeSue;341749 Wrote:
> > I wouldn't install it right above the cooktop, but if you just wipe it
> > down every now and then, it should be fine. I like those pre-moistened
> > Clorox wipes. But stick to a microfiber cloth on the lens.
>
> You can't wipe down the drivers. If whatever they're doing in the
> kitchen is depositing so much airborne gunk on the surface of the
> player that it needs to be wiped down, then it's also doing the same
> thing to the drivers. It will be ruined eventually - it's just
> question of how long it may take.
>
>
> --
> JJZolx
>
> Jim
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JJZolx's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=10
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=52777
>
>

ccrome2
2008-09-18, 09:25
I always use one of these when pan frying. (or similar, I have a couple for different pan sizes)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SU1E

Ooooh, you use it over your pan. That's very clever. Here's how I use mine.

MeSue
2008-09-18, 09:45
You can't wipe down the drivers. If whatever they're doing in the kitchen is depositing so much airborne gunk on the surface of the player that it needs to be wiped down, then it's also doing the same thing to the drivers. It will be ruined eventually - it's just question of how long it may take.

I was addressing greasy fingers touching the buttons.

Club1820
2008-09-21, 00:53
Hi, so i got my boom really quickly...and although i like it, it's not really suiting my setup in the bedroom (too lo-fi over my SB3 / Denon Mini system setup)...

Can you elaborate on this comment? Everyone else is raving about its sound and how well it suites the bedroom setup. Yours is the first comment I've seen that doesn't like it for that use. I'm debating on getting one for the bedroom or a duet with A2 Speakers.

Thanks.

Phil Leigh
2008-09-21, 01:14
Is it just me or is a bedroom one place you wouldn't necessarily need high fidelity?

JJZolx
2008-09-21, 01:22
Is it just me or is a bedroom one place you wouldn't necessarily need high fidelity?

Could be just you. :)

Depends, I guess, on whether you use it only as a clock-radio, or maybe if you seldom listen to anything above whisper quiet, only listen while dressing, or maybe you only listen to BBC news or NPR.

If none of the above, then maybe you actually listen to music.

I've had the Boom in the kitchen for a couple of months now and have grown to like having another system there. I'll be replacing it with an SB, small amp and speakers, though. Not sure where that leaves for the Boom. I even have a better system out in the garage.

gb115b
2008-09-21, 02:00
Hi Club 1820, the boom is a fine system, but its sounds more equivalent to a very good pair of logitech speakers / ipod dock to me(unsurprisingly) than a Hi-Fi seperate system

my Denon system and B&W speakers definitely outperform it...but you're talking nearly 800 pounds of hifi equipment so you'd hope it would out perform a 200 pound item!!!

it depends on your usage though, i listen to my stereo a lot in my room, and i really missed the seperation of a decent set of speakers, plus the balance of the track was just better on my old mini-system combo...

i'm not saying the Boom is bad...in fact i think its gives an excellent performance for the price...but just not right for my listening habits...

will be better suited to my kitchen...

toby10
2008-09-21, 06:25
Can you elaborate on this comment? Everyone else is raving about its sound and how well it suites the bedroom setup. Yours is the first comment I've seen that doesn't like it for that use. I'm debating on getting one for the bedroom or a duet with A2 Speakers.

Thanks.

gb's reluctance for use in the bedroom is audio quality compared to much higher priced setups, understandably.
My reluctance for use as a bedroom clock radio would be the lack of a battery backup for alarms.

I'm not talking about a full fledged battery pack to operate the Boom outside (which I'd bet is eventually coming from SD or a third party).
Just a couple AA batteries to operate a simple alarm BUZZ as a backup should the power go out.

MikeekiM
2008-09-21, 07:44
gb's reluctance for use in the bedroom is audio quality compared to much higher priced setups, understandably.
My reluctance for use as a bedroom clock radio would be the lack of a battery backup for alarms.

I'm not talking about a full fledged battery pack to operate the Boom outside (which I'd bet is eventually coming from SD or a third party).
Just a couple AA batteries to operate a simple alarm BUZZ as a backup should the power go out.

You could go with a UPS I suppose...

gb115b
2008-09-21, 09:44
it's nice to have an excuse to sleep in...

toby10
2008-09-21, 09:57
it's nice to have an excuse to sleep in...

HA! :)

I like the UPS idea too, but it seems a bit overkill for an alarm clock! :)

pablolie
2008-09-21, 12:42
i would agree with the sentiment that, while i admire what the boom does given its size, it is a little too lowfi for the bedroom. a SB3 with a Acoustic Energy Aego M in my opinion sounds significantly better -at least to me- for about $200 more, but of course it is at the expense of any portability.

i think it could do very good kitchen duty or anywhere one decides to stage an impromptu social area in the house (like yesterday, when after cleaning a room out for redecoration i started to play monopoly on the floor with a friend who had helped me out, with a bottle of Shiraz, and had the Sboom right next to us - it was excellent).

iPhone
2008-09-21, 20:59
HA! :)

I like the UPS idea too, but it seems a bit overkill for an alarm clock! :)

Overkill it is. But if your whole network and servers are all on UPS, why not get a small one for the Boom and never worry about the alarm NOT going off?

Dogberry2
2008-09-22, 09:33
Depends on the person, I think. Some guys have been known to get downright upset over a lack of bedroom fidelity. Others simply ignore it, and there are some who actually seem to enjoy it, even going so far as to install video cameras and such. Each to his own, I suppose.