PDA

View Full Version : ITunes

pks1414
2008-09-18, 05:30
.....I hate it!! I spent weeks putting all my albums in the correct place, getting the Album Art sorted, everything was great. Then along comes Itunes. Someone bought my wife a voucher, so it had to be installed, I had taken it off previously because I use the Duet Handset.

It went through the whole library and screwed everything up, Artwork is missing, its created duplicate folders with an underscore, the dammed thing is useless. I have now got to start all over again..unless anyone can point me in the direction of a quick fix.

mumble mumble grrrrr

blessingx
2008-09-18, 07:37
It's difficult to suggest anything without knowing more of your problem. One solution is simply to uncheck "keep iTunes library organized". This will stop the renaming of files and changing locations. Depending on your OS you may also have Applescript support to manipulate tags.

iTunes isn't nearly as bad as it probably seems at first if there is some initial tag conflict.

Nonreality
2008-09-18, 09:21
.....I hate it!! I spent weeks putting all my albums in the correct place, getting the Album Art sorted, everything was great. Then along comes Itunes. Someone bought my wife a voucher, so it had to be installed, I had taken it off previously because I use the Duet Handset.

It went through the whole library and screwed everything up, Artwork is missing, its created duplicate folders with an underscore, the dammed thing is useless. I have now got to start all over again..unless anyone can point me in the direction of a quick fix.

mumble mumble grrrrrI use Itunes just for keeping my ipod firmware up to date. You needed to so as the other poster said and don't let it keep your library organized. If you let it then it will change everything to it's criteria. I don't let it touch my library except to manually move songs sometimes to the ipods. You also need to uncheck soundcheck or you will have problems with replay gain if you use it in SqueezeCenter. Soundcheck is it's version of replay gain and every time you start Itunes it analyzes your music and adds it's own tags to your music. If you find some of your music way to quiet that is probably what happened. It's a bug with SC. This is only a problem if you have both replay gain tags and Soundcheck tags. SC adds them incorrectly adds the two together when it should use one or the other.

moley6knipe
2008-09-18, 13:58
So, let's get it fixed. What OS are you using? If OSX then Doug's Apple Scripts are your thing, if Windows then www.mp3tag.de/en

Before you do anything like install a new app that could damage your tags, it's a really good idea to a backup. Syncback http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/software/SyncBack_Setup.zip is a great backup tool for Win, free too!

On windows - mp3tag is a massively powerful tagger that can fix this sort of thing easily.

What was your folder structure before it went wrong? If it's c:\music\Album\artist for example you can get mp3tag to move all the files based on those tags. A little bit of a learning curve to using it (there's plenty help here and on the mp3tag forums) but long term it will save you huge amounts of time.

Don't forget the backup!! And untick "Keep iTunes Music folder organised" here... Edit > Preferences > Advanced

moley6knipe
2008-09-18, 14:05
Two more things: iTunes won't touch the tags (the only thing it adds is iTunes norm (ie Soundcheck info) if you let it) - if you rip using iTunes you get all sorts of tags, but no sane person does that, do they? ;-)

So, iTunes not touching your tags means the files will still appear correctly in SqueezeCenter, yes? It cares little for folder structure.

Artwork - your artwork was stored as eg folder.jpg in each folder, I guess? iTunes doesn't use that, but again if there's something other than music files stored within the iTunes Music Folder iTunes itself won't touch the non-music stuff. They'll still be there somewhere, I would guess.

Worst case, mp3tag can download it again for you - or other apps can too, search the forums. Use Google rather than forum search...

artwork site: forums.slimdevices.com

...where the bit in italics is your search string

aubuti
2008-09-18, 14:20

Restore the files from your backup? If you don't have one you may have learned a lesson relatively cheaply, since it seems that there are ways of recovering from iTunes that aren't too painful. But really, disks are too cheap and your time is too valuable not to have a backup....